12/24/120v fridge freezer power draw/efficiency comparison

john61ct

Adventurer
It's hard to find power consumption values for the small 110V units
It is very easy, just put a coulomb counter in the circuit and measure.

A Watts Up will exclude the inverter inefficiency, better to use an Ah meter designed for DC between the inverter and the battery bank or PSU.

Of course for apples to apples, fill with water bottles and standardize the pre-cooling and opening frequency protocols.

john61ct

Adventurer
An example troubleshooting / repair thread:

Note that Italian company Indel-B makes Isotherm, also Truckfridge, Vitrifrigo, Tundra, OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth

It is very easy, just put a coulomb counter in the circuit and measure.

Duh! Of course, goes without saying, but not having a selection of small, 110V reefers sitting around my shop that was not an option, now was it?

Perhaps I should have stated it explicitly, but I was speaking in terms of finding said information readily available on the internet at places that sell those sort of reefers...Amazon, Walmart, etc. In a quick search to be able to give more than an WAG in response to the poster's question, I did a quick search and only a few gave more than the fact that they were 120V units. Not surprised, they're cheap consumer units and most just don't care.

john61ct

Adventurer
Not surprised, they're cheap consumer units and most just don't care.
Yes, most NA consumers on cheap mains power don't care.

You just cannot work off vendor supplied data in the NA market, our regulators have really slacked off in their requirements. Maybe a fridge with a higher wattage usage is more efficient, duty cycle per hour much lower.

There are hundreds of threads across dozens of forums where members report real life consumption numbers.

Not perfectly standard test conditions, but good enough to ballpark.

Only the well-insulated 240V units designed for better regulated markets come close to the energy efficiency of the 12V compressor units.

Rarely, but sometimes exceeded, as reported in the aussie caravanners sites.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Note that Italian company Indel-B makes Isotherm, also Truckfridge, Vitrifrigo, Tundra, OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth

I'm pretty sure my old Indel B (from TruckFridge by way of Westy Ventures) was made in Italy. When the fan in that one failed, I looked at new ones as an alternative in case the repairs proved to be too expensive, and the new ones seem to be coming from China.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
If you are talking about the tests done on youtube by the South African Guy The figures are Rigged to suit the Snomaster's because he is a Snomaster dealer, The fact is the ARB had the best figures,

And just to make sure my findings were correct I went out and bought 2 Snomasters, And I found that both of them "35L and the 95L" chewed way more power than the 78L / 82Qt ARB and the 47L / 50Qt ARB uses way less than either of the Snomasters,

Given the Choice I would pick the ARB or the Engel in the 40L+ Class, I was so P'off with the Snomasters I returned the 95L and I gave away the 35L, during testing I saw each Snomaster One at a time Eat a 115Ah battery So much So that after 6 hours I had to Hook Up my big wheeled battery charger to the battery because there was no way would that battery of lasted 24 hours and Both the SM 35 and the 95 share the same size compressor,

The build quality is ok and they freeze faster than anything on the planet But My Word Do they Chew the Power. on 12v or 120/240v. I think to power them successfully you would need at leased 300w of Solar to allow for those cloudy days maybe more, If you are driving all the time then it would not be so much of an issue but anything else No Chance.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94