1124 AF Double Cab

Toby3

Getting an odd problem when we start off in the morning. Truck is an auto and for a while is not that keen changing about about 3rd / 4th, in the first 1 - 2 miles. Once its warmed up it seems fine, drives well. Then we have had two instances coming out of campsites where there was bit of a slope where the truck is revving but struggling to put any power down, loses power as in you feel it disengage and the reengage. This second time I had it idling for 10 mins before we set off, but appears to need to drive. Once we were through a mile ran fine, climbs okay but a bit of a concern because means we need a easy mile to get warmed up each time which isn't necessarily available.

Anybody experienced anything like this, got any ideas on it either as to what the problem is / fix or work arounds

Toby3

Different question on my snagging list - when I'm driving I get a coils symbol intermittently appearing on the dash which I understand to be Glow plugs except that the mechanic is adamant that the truck doesn't have glow plugs. Anyone know if it means something different on these Merc 1124s?

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Different question on my snagging list - when I'm driving I get a coils symbol intermittently appearing on the dash which I understand to be Glow plugs except that the mechanic is adamant that the truck doesn't have glow plugs. Anyone know if it means something different on these Merc 1124s?
If I remember right these trucks were available with 2 different cold start options. The ether injection and an electric heating element in the air intake. Wonder if that symbol would be that you have the electric element? I think the element was in the cast charged air pipe that is attached to the turbo. Got any pictures of that part of the engine?

Toby3

If I remember right these trucks were available with 2 different cold start options. The ether injection and an electric heating element in the air intake. Wonder if that symbol would be that you have the electric element? I think the element was in the cast charged air pipe that is attached to the turbo. Got any pictures of that part of the engine?
Hi, thanks for that, I don't know but will see if I can get pictures

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the LN-2 club. Our 917AF is in storage in UK. In September we hope to escape England's Green and Narrow Lanes and start traveling in the UK. (Gotta make a trip back to Atkinson Vos to chase an elusive leak.)

So jealous of your double cab!

Toby3

Super nice! Can you share the plans for how you built this? i think we have very similar rear boxes!
Hi, sorry not been on for a while. Don't have plans, Lewis at Adaptvan / Adaptoverland built it. Sits in the locker next to the door. Two runners at the base with the wooden box built on top, got a 240v plug on one side so we can use a portable electric hob, then also got a gas set up as wanted gas outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior