1120 AF door locking issue

Geo.Lander

hi, i just picked up my 1991 1120 AF and have been told the doors do not lock, i assume disabled as part of the fireservice, does anyone know if there is a quick way to reenable to door locks without having to replace the whole barrels and keys?
DSC_1454.JPG

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Ours also lock, my guess is yours are not disabled, just never used so gummed up. What are they doing? Ours are not perfect and still need adjustment, sometime takes a little jiggle to get them to work.

Geo.Lander

Ours also lock, my guess is yours are not disabled, just never used so gummed up. What are they doing? Ours are not perfect and still need adjustment, sometime takes a little jiggle to get them to work.

I was told by delivery agent i used the fire dept had informed him that they were designed so they cannot be locked, and indeed I cannot find a way to lock them.
They appear to lock once the key is turned but then you cannot withdraw the key from the barrel, I have however been able to lock the passenger side from the inside, using some force but then it worked fine. Ill try and take loosen them up a bit as the saying goes, else I have found a ton of replacement barrels for about 10$ online..

Neil

Observer
We have the same locks.

I cannot imagine that Mercedes re designed their locking mechanisms for a few trucks.

My theory would be that the unused barrels are tight and stiff and need a good soaking with a silicon spray lubricant.

Then I would take the door cards off to check that the linkage is all connected and greased up.

The handles come off easily so its all dismantleable .

Keep digging , I am sure you will get them working

Neil

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Having the locks modified so they can't be locked is fairly common fire truck practise... We had several 'interesting' moments with the Isuzu FTR 4x4 trucks when they were first rolled out with the local CFS... The doors could be easily accidentally locked from the inside on exiting the cab... so that the next time a rapid departure was required and doors were found to be locked it all got a little interesting. An upgrade part was sent for each door and the problem eliminated. As Neil rightly says though, it will be a simple mod somewhere that can be reversed as they wouldn't re design the whole lock. There'll be a screw added somewhere, or a link or spring removed... You just have to find it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier