1120 AF Build in Norway

Geo.Lander

Pretty much our last piece to be sent off to the fabricators with be the RUB with MC carrier.
So our design is pretty simple in principle but needed the pros at AV (thanks Ryan) to actually pull this off. Because of the subframe and regs concerning the run under bar plus our suspension lift etc the bar had to raise and lower into exacting positions for road/off-road use and be strong enough to tow and have MC carrier take at least 200kgs (not at the same time). Also there are clearance considerations when in the off-road position because it’s attached to the chassis.
The MC carrier attaches with standard 2” receivers but has 3 for extra stability. We would use a standard ball receiver for towing. In an ideal world we’d be able to tow with our MC, but we can’t have anything fixed to the back whilst complying with local regulations on the trucks total overhang ?

D78D547B-E853-4CAB-BAF6-BB5B11180CBB.jpeg

Right from the start we were planning on going this route so we could have the maximum body size possible. There are of course some drawbacks, no towing and MC at the same time, lower position is a legal requirement while driving on roads too.
Ideally the rub bar and lift would be separate, but of course we run into permanent fixtures issues with the road authorities here plus the design would be drastically more complex and expensive.
On the subject of MCs, ours is almost done! But I’m still waiting for certain parts and our extended fuel tank coming in. Thea did a beautiful custom Norwegian leather saddle and the paint couldn’t have come out better, will be fun dropping her for the first ti
25BB662E-F516-4C6C-B27A-930B92B24169.jpeg
666BA9A7-AA05-4E8E-863D-5A951DD73B36.jpeg

Last edited:

palebluewanders

It's all coming together so nicely! LOVE the paint job on your motorbike. And the leather saddle is gorgeous. Did you add more padding inside? And will you cover the motorbike when it's on the carrier so the leather doesn't crack in the sun?

RoamIt

Wow, bike is beautiful! We're going to need more bike shots :)

For clarity: The MC carrier and rear rub bar are the same piece. If you have the MC mounted is the rub bar then in the lowered position required for driving on the road? will this expose the bike to road debris, kicked up by the tires, etc. ?

And while off road, with the MC mounted, the whole thing be raised for ground clearance?

Geo.Lander

It's all coming together so nicely! LOVE the paint job on your motorbike. And the leather saddle is gorgeous. Did you add more padding inside? And will you cover the motorbike when it's on the carrier so the leather doesn't crack in the sun?

thanks! No more padding, just standard seat foam. We ride bikes quite a bit so our asses are nails ?

Yea, I'm thinking we're going to make a proper full cover from some marine grade canvas. Hopefully the leather won't crack, it's full grain Norwegian leather, we'll see.

Geo.Lander

Wow, bike is beautiful! We're going to need more bike shots :)

For clarity: The MC carrier and rear rub bar are the same piece. If you have the MC mounted is the rub bar then in the lowered position required for driving on the road? will this expose the bike to road debris, kicked up by the tires, etc. ?

And while off road, with the MC mounted, the whole thing be raised for ground clearance?

Thanks mate! More bike shots when she's finished!

Right, RUB and MC carrier receiver are the same, the MC carrier is a modified commercial unit that can be removed from the RUB.

Exactly, lower = more dirt, nothing drastic thou I hope and I think for most countries I can get away with driving with it in an intermediate position and mount some big old rubber mud flaps/guards.
In off-road mode the whole thing sits just level with the top of the toolboxes.

Geo.Lander

Just some shots of the finished box being bonded to the subframe, AV also took our truck to be displayed at the Adventure Overland show (UK), some shots below :)
PXL_20220616_081135530.jpg
PXL_20220616_081238206.jpg

Here she is at the show with the final version of the 4-point frame, the central cups were moved slightly forward and the rear rocker was elevated about 30mm so she will have the full range of chassis travel available. AV have done a stellar job balancing out the subframe horizontal with the trucks suspension lift and new 4+1 springs. The whole process was done with a 4000kgs payload as a baseline (not including the subframe), plenty for our needs.
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 10.16.37 AM.jpeg

palebluewanders

Random question but I saw an electrical diagram from last year on pg 16 saying you'll probably need a 2nd alternator. Did you ever decide to get one and if so, which one?

Geo.Lander

Random question but I saw an electrical diagram from last year on pg 16 saying you'll probably need a 2nd alternator. Did you ever decide to get one and if so, which one?

Hi!

No, we are upgrading the existing (55amp) alternator to a 100a one thou. Adding a second one was a bit more complex and expensive than I thought. So I will see how it goes with a 24v 50amp DCDC charging setup and my 1600w of solar first then see if I need better DCDC capabilities.
I am waiting on the new Victron DCDC chargers coming out, hopefully they will have something in the 40-50 amp 24v range...

On the subject of truck power, I have just ordered a Winston 90a 12v lithium starter battery for my boat which I am told is a direct drop in replacement for lead/agm etc. Excited to test this out and change the truck over to lithium starters too!

Charging range and temps seem in-line with starter requirements, pretty impressive stuff if it works! 15kg for what is effectively a 150amp lead acid battery! Easily get away with their 60amp version I think which is 11.5kg and 1/3rd of the price..
Model nameTSWB-LP12V90AH
Nominal voltage12 V
Capacity90 Ah
Operating voltageMin 11.5 V / Max 15.5 V
Minimum voltage11 V
Maximum charging voltage16 V
Recommended continuous consumption<45 A
Maximum consumption (30 min)<270 A
Maximum consumption (10 sec)<900 A
Recommended charging current<45 A
Maximum charging current<270 A
Min / max temperature (consumption)-45-85 ° C
Min / max temperature (charge)-45-85 ° C
Size282 x 248 x 155 mm
Weight15 kg

RoamIt

That would be awesome if the lithium starter batteries work!! The bats in my truck are freaking heavy. Please keep us updated.

Geo.Lander

That would be awesome if the lithium starter batteries work!! The bats in my truck are freaking heavy. Please keep us updated.

I will keep you posted, it should be arriving today and I plan to install it ASAP as I am changing the starter motor anyway (it is an old Volvo Penta AQ145A with VP280 drive, Draco 2000DC). I just need to head up my workshop and make some better cables. I think I might order 2x 60 Ah ones for the truck if this one works out as expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles