1120 AF Build in Norway

Vegard_S

Adventurer
We have also decided not to use the Outbound hatch (so if anyone want to buy it from me let me know) and getting a full sized custom hatch made with KCT locks/latches.

Nice progress Dimitri! Please send me some information about the Outbound hatch, if it still is up for sale. We might be able to use it on our Unimog:)
-Vegard

Marmite

How does your 1250 handle off road Ian? Its the steering pretty light on the uphill?

Here is my U1100 with BW box on it. I have only mounted lights,diesel heater and a split charge system . It has helper springs in the back so even with a ton in the box its still pretty stiff .My former U1000 was god aweful loaded up.

Attachments

• 20201010_180639.jpg
    20201010_180639.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

Geo.Lander

Nice progress Dimitri! Please send me some information about the Outbound hatch, if it still is up for sale. We might be able to use it on our Unimog:)
-Vegard

Hi @Vegard_S !

Of course, it is the LU-40 hatch 99x60cm :) The lead time from outbound just now is over 6 months so we should have all of our outbound order below mid September :)

3 RA-40 windows 99x60cm with roller blinds
1 RA-50 window 170x55cm with roller blinds
1 DR-40 roof window 99x60cm with roller blinds
1 DE-20L-3P door with 3 point locking 61x185cm
1 LU-40 hatch 99x60cm

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Hatches on both sides would allow access the storage (drying locker) under the seating from outside...especially long space across the back. It will be a long reach down into the space so it could be split into access to the top from inside and access to the bottom from outside.

What is the length of the box?

What software are you using?

The outside length of the box is 4830mm.

I am using Autodesk.

I am not sure I understand the hatches you propose, for the garage you mean or seating area? Our drying area will be in the bathroom, we will have one large hatch in the garage as the other side (drivers) will be mostly filled with systems for water, heating and power.

Last edited:

Alloy

The outside length of the box is 4830mm.

I am using Autodesk.

I am not sure I understand the hatches you propose, for the garage you mean or seating area? Our drying area will be in the bathroom, we will have one large hatch in the garage as the other side (drivers) will be mostly filled with systems for water, heating and power.

You'd have to add more hatch(s) outside of the seating area.

Geo.Lander

Not much progress hence either updates in a while, delays after the other. I was warned this project would be a multiyear one from the outset from pretty much everyone on the forum, anyway, we are keeping positive waiting for the windows still and panels (our box building has been forced to find new GRP panel supplier). Until then we have gone back to the design phase and are making some adjustments along the way. We have the time now to plan every last aspect so we plan to use it, so to speak :D

My current focus us the departure angle on the already agreed basic design, in theory it sits at 21.9° currently, not taking the lift into account.
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 10.38.13.png

I am thinking some more like this.. I admit I like the look better too, but we actually planning to use the truck off road (to a certain degree), thoughts would be appreciated as always.
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 10.28.25.png

OR::
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 10.28.25.png

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 10.24.17.png

Alloy

My $.002 is you can get away with trimming the storage box don't have to trim the corner of the accommodation box.

Once the storage box is trimmed it looks like breakover will be an issue.

Some modeling would tell how deep of a hole you can get in/out of.

What about moving the axle back and bigger tires?

Sitec

Adventurer
As Alloy said, it's little use having a fantastic departure angle if the breakover angle is limited too... Also worth considering how far 'off road' you will actually go. Our build has approx 700mm clearance under the truck in the middle. The only point lower than that is the transfer box by about 70 mm. I've purposefully kept/built the rest high, including the diesel tank. The thinking being that when we cross the occasional sand dune I'll have some chance of clearing the crest (thats if I even have the power to get to said crest! ). Dropping into river crossings etc, if I have to drop the front wheels over a 600 or 700mm ledge, I'm going to be thinking twice about actually needing to be there...

It's also worth investigating the laws re underrun bars at the rear... Make it too steep, and you'll have to fit some form of rear bar, so when you stop quickly and the car following too close behind does not, they don't end up with your tail lights inches from ther noses...

Could you mock up your exising drawing with cardboard and see what it looks like in 'real time'... I did with ours, and went with it...

Template 2.jpg

Geo.Lander

My $.002 is you can get away with trimming the storage box don't have to trim the corner of the accommodation box.

Once the storage box is trimmed it looks like breakover will be an issue.

Some modeling would tell how deep of a hole you can get in/out of.

What about moving the axle back and bigger tires?

Yes, we need to model the theoretical angles a bit better, we have a lift and bigger tires than in the model already but do not have that factored in.

Breakover will just decrease if we move the axles, plus that kind of work isn't on the agenda :)

Geo.Lander

As Alloy said, it's little use having a fantastic departure angle if the breakover angle is limited too... Also worth considering how far 'off road' you will actually go. Our build has approx 700mm clearance under the truck in the middle. The only point lower than that is the transfer box by about 70 mm. I've purposefully kept/built the rest high, including the diesel tank. The thinking being that when we cross the occasional sand dune I'll have some chance of clearing the crest (thats if I even have the power to get to said crest! ). Dropping into river crossings etc, if I have to drop the front wheels over a 600 or 700mm ledge, I'm going to be thinking twice about actually needing to be there...

It's also worth investigating the laws re underrun bars at the rear... Make it too steep, and you'll have to fit some form of rear bar, so when you stop quickly and the car following too close behind does not, they don't end up with your tail lights inches from ther noses...

Could you mock up your exising drawing with cardboard and see what it looks like in 'real time'... I did with ours, and went with it...

View attachment 683476

Yea, we have to install a E11 under-run protection around the truck, I think our lockers will suffice so one the on the rear which will be lifting with a simple hydraulic hand pump. We are going to have to model the exact angles with the lift and bigger tires we have. That is a mighty clearance you have there, Ive done one with the standard chassis diametion and the breakover/ramp angle comes in at 11.8°, not fantastic by any measure.. I suppose this will probably be a little over 15 when the correct lift and tires are added to the model:

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 12.02.31.png

Geo.Lander

So we spent the entire September in Greece at my father's house, I was working remotely for the most part but it was a real eye opener seeing all the old timer MB trucks there working away, we even got a tour of a MB NB expedition truck, more info below.

We were lucky enough to be driving back from a day of kiting and spotted JAM on the road, I knew the truck from their youtube, some really great details and more progressive design and layout which we liked! and they were kind enough to entertain us and put up with my incessant questions. Lovely people!

DSC_2681.JPG

The locals in my part of Greece (North West) run their trucks hard, most of the older trucks on the road are MB. Say 8/10 are in fact. And a short drive inland revealed a treasure trove of trucks and Vario vans parked up. Someone so inclined could make a killing importing those the Germany etc.

So, about the snorkles! Factory ones i have been told were only available for the NG/SK cabs, so ill leave this topic be for now on my build. But in finding this out I have a source for factory copies of the original from a MB truck breakers yard in Greece. PM me if you are interested in one and ill fire over the contacts
DSC_2706.JPG

DSC_2709.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2680.JPG
    DSC_2680.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Great find! That truck with the snorkel has the elusive RH snorkel that Neil (Cloud 9) and I are after. I have decided to loose the snorkel off the LH of our truck, so am no longer after one for the right. :)

Geo.Lander

Great find! That truck with the snorkel has the elusive RH snorkel that Neil (Cloud 9) and I are after. I have decided to loose the snorkel off the LH of our truck, so am no longer after one for the right. :)

The majority of these 4*4 / 6*6 tippers (there are a lot of them) here have the snorkel fitted, I suppose that's why they decided to have copies of the original made.

Neil

Observer
I have a source for factory copies of the original from a MB truck breakers yard in Greece. PM me if you are interested in one and ill fire over the contacts

I am very interested.

Any information would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz