1120 AF Build in Norway

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Our back (glass) window gets layered with mud/dirt in the winter and off road. I need a ladder to clean it properly so it only gets hosed off.

A hydronic towel rack for drying clothes works great and a blower set up with hoses works for boots......but.....make sure to have LOTS of venting (in and out) otherwise you'll have too much condensation and boots smell.....storage compartment might be a better drying area

If possible add a hydronic loop to the grey tank/valves so it can be connected later. My tanks and valves are insulated with 2" XPS. Below -10C (much depends on the wind chill) I start to heat (forced air duct) the tank compartment to protect the valves.

It is interesting that you rear window gets covered in mud or dust, our does not. We get a bit of dust on our rear storage bag , but not that much. This might be due to the aerodynamics with the chamfered rear I went with to try and reduce the dust and mud on the rear. The "air tabs" have reduced the dust on the bikes and bag as well. I am in the process of making a new storage compartment for the rear of the truck, as the old one made putting the bikes on the bike rack a bit difficult. The photo below shows the rear end of our truck.

2021-03-25 14.06.56.jpg

We put our water tanks in the rear storage compartment under the bed, and fitted a heating loop in the compartment to keep the water from freezing. Our Webasto 90ST puts out over 9kW of heat, more than enough to keep our truck warm down to about -20C according to my calculations, and less if we insulate the windscreen and side windows. It is currently plumbed so it also heat the engine block as well, and thehoses run close to the grey water tank and fuel tank, but I will still need some electric heating pads for cold weather. The battery compartment in the rear is force ventilated from the hot water tank compartment, which I hope will help keep that warm, a LiFePo don't work in sub-zero temperatures. It is something I will need to monitor, once we find some cold weather. I raised the batteries off the metal compartment with 30mm of polyurethane foam, so they have no direct contact to the cold surface, and with the warm air being blown in, this may be enough, time will tell.

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

A little progress getting the final design finished for the box makers, finally think we have the window positions finalised with the seating heights etc, we have extended the platform a little (now 30cm) and added some tweaks to the width and height now modelled with the foam we will be using.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.39.12.png

Our shower tray will be aluminium instead of stainless as we will be adding a teak marine board there anyway (and probably lining the inside in cork).

We have also decided not to use the Outbound hatch (so if anyone want to buy it from me let me know) and getting a full sized custom hatch made with KCT locks/latches.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.42.03.png

We have also removed the custom water tank and gone with an off the shelf one, this saved us about 1500€

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.41.48.png

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.46.44.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.52.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.52.41.png
    851.5 KB · Views: 3

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Great models, your bed ( assuming the bed is against the cab) looks quite high if you add a base and a mattress, our works out to be around 300mm deep. We have a slatted base, and a 200mm latex mattress. It was well worth it, our bed is very comfortable. We also made sure we had enough headroom over the bed, as we didn't want to feel trapped. We have seen plenty of campers where you cannot even kneel on the bed without hitting your head, that was not for us. Shelves around the outside and head of the bed are very useful so we and put cups and our books, ipads, etc on without having to get out of bed.

Having the bed low does mean our storage under the bed is less, but like everything, it's a compromise and a decision as to what's more important, and we spend a lot of time in bed :)

vlcsnap-2021-07-27-22h09m22s986.png

Alloy

We have also removed the custom water tank and gone with an off the shelf one, this saved us about 1500€

My custom (120L) 10mm LDPE tanks were 10% more than my off the shelf (110L) 10mm PE roto mold tanks.

The custom tanks had a 1 1/2" taper+ a cut out on the bottom so none of the parts where the same.

Geo.Lander

Great models, your bed ( assuming the bed is against the cab) looks quite high if you add a base and a mattress, our works out to be around 300mm deep. We have a slatted base, and a 200mm latex mattress. It was well worth it, our bed is very comfortable. We also made sure we had enough headroom over the bed, as we didn't want to feel trapped. We have seen plenty of campers where you cannot even kneel on the bed without hitting your head, that was not for us. Shelves around the outside and head of the bed are very useful so we and put cups and our books, ipads, etc on without having to get out of bed.

Having the bed low does mean our storage under the bed is less, but like everything, it's a compromise and a decision as to what's more important, and we spend a lot of time in bed :)

View attachment 673435

The bed height was an issue to be honest. Need the space in the garage for our bikes so after the mattress and base is installed we are left with just over 1m of head height, enough to sit-up in bed comfortably at least but maybe not for me to kneel (194cm). It's always a trade-off ?‍♂️

Geo.Lander

My custom (120L) 10mm LDPE tanks were 10% more than my off the shelf (110L) 10mm PE roto mold tanks.

The custom tanks had a 1 1/2" taper+ a cut out on the bottom so none of the parts where the same.

We've been quoted almost 2000€ Vs 370€ euro for off the shelf. Same materials etc. I suppose prices are quite different depending on location and timeline. I contacted some other suppliers too and 2000€ seemed about the meridian for our specific design. I was a long thin tall tank to occupy the wall space.

Joe917

Explorer
You look to be very short on interior storage. All I see is the tall cabinet for clothes, where is your food going? refrigerator? Do you have a spot for shoes? You will need a sliding dinette table if you want to get in or out from the kitchen side.

Alloy

We've been quoted almost 2000€ Vs 370€ euro for off the shelf. Same materials etc. I suppose prices are quite different depending on location and timeline. I contacted some other suppliers too and 2000€ seemed about the meridian for our specific design. I was a long thin tall tank to occupy the wall space.

My tanks are installed with a 2 degree slope and a drain in the bottom corner so everything can be drained out of the tanks.

I've found the floor to be the most used area in the storage compartment while the top/ceiling of the compartment isn't used. Can the tank be lifted off the floor....or the extra 1500 euro might be well spent considering how tight the storage is.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
You look to be very short on interior storage. All I see is the tall cabinet for clothes, where is your food going? refrigerator? Do you have a spot for shoes? You will need a sliding dinette table if you want to get in or out from the kitchen side.
Joe has a point, I would look into trying and designing some overhead cabinets (all of our dishes, glasses, some clothes and a lot of other things are stored there). Might cause you to rethink the height of your windows though. We do really enjoy being able to see out of our windows both while standing (though you are taller than we are) and sitting, but it limited the height of our overhead cabinets. We have enough space (though more would be nice, which would mean a bigger truck ;) ), and if you have space you tend to fill it (which add weight to the truck). It is all very tight, the shades/screens have just enough clearance to be installed and no more.

What is the final interior width? We have a standard US queen bed and have enough width to have a bank of cabinets at the head, which is the rest of our clothes storage.

Geo.Lander

Hi, yea, we have quite a bit of storage under the seating the and kitchen cabinets and all the overhead storage is not yet modelled the same goes for the kitchen. So the model is not quite complete.

Geo.Lander

What is the final interior width? We have a standard US queen bed and have enough width to have a bank of cabinets at the head, which is the rest of our clothes storage.

Hi Jon, our final interior width is 2303mm and we will be using a 1400*2000 mattress. We were planning on overhead storage only in the bedroom but it might be feasible for a full height bank of cabinets. I am going to work a bit with the overhead cabinets this week, the reason they are not modelled is that I have not yet decided on how they will be constructed (aluminium framing clad in ply vS just plain ply boxes).

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Joe has a point, I would look into trying and designing some overhead cabinets (all of our dishes, glasses, some clothes and a lot of other things are stored there). Might cause you to rethink the height of your windows though. We do really enjoy being able to see out of our windows both while standing (though you are taller than we are) and sitting, but it limited the height of our overhead cabinets. We have enough space (though more would be nice, which would mean a bigger truck ;) ), and if you have space you tend to fill it (which add weight to the truck). It is all very tight, the shades/screens have just enough clearance to be installed and no more.

Your camper interiors are much bigger than ours, but we still carry a huge amount of stuff compared to when we used to have the Land Rover. Your bathroom looks huge, and takes up a lot of space it seems to us. Hve you though about putting the toilet on a slider, so it goes back under the bed when you shower? Our is on a tray that slides into a cupboard when not in use. ( we don't have a separate bathroom - no space) We spent a lot of time thinking about how we would use the truck, even spending almost a whole day in the back with a basic mock up on the back of the truck, just to see how it would work.

PICT0006.JPG

We did this a few times, making cardboard cupboards to see how it actually worked in real life, and found this much better than the 3D model I had done. It also highlighted what area we actually needed, and used, and what was nice to have, but in the limited space we had, was better suited to more important uses. The most difficult decision we had was the seating. Our truck is registered for and additioanal two passengers in the rear, as we thought that at some stage we might want to give some locals a lift, or need a guide. This actually dictated a lot of the requirements, and so far we had only ever had passengers three times for a few hours in 6 years.

PICT0024.JPG

Our mock-ups got more elaborate each time, as we locked in certain things, but were well worth is, as we could see that everything fitted before we made the real stuff. Things like the toilet and fridges required extra space for wires, handles, hoses, catches etc, so we had to adjust the space allocated for them.

DSC00515-1.jpg
I agree 100% about filling every space, we run nearly each cupboard full all the time, and close to GVM as well. We carry a lot of stuff, including over 250kg of tools and spares , 5m inflatable canoe, three tables, chairs, stools, beach lounger, a 6x3.6m awning room, and two drones, two laptops, ipads, e-readers, five or six cameras and various lenses and batteries in two big camera bags/cases. I found that overhead cabinets made me feel very claustrophobic, and we both prefer having lots of head room, and only have two overhead cabinets at each end. The chamfered roof makes them pretty useless anyway. Despite our much smaller camper box, we can carry enough food, UHT Milk, coffee, icecream and water for 20 days, as we have been out for that amount of time. Shoe storage is very important, we have a dedicated drawer for them, we each have a pair of hiking boots, two pairs of sandals each, walking shoes and at least two or three pairs of high heels for photo shoots, and I have one pair of smart shoes. We carry clothes for all sorts of weather down to about 0 Deg C, including something suitable to go out to dinner in. On top of all that, we have a coffee machine, slow cooker, and even a breadmaker as well.

Geo.Lander

Do you have a spot for shoes?

I am going to build 2 full length pull out drawers under the seating for shoes and outer wear. Ski boots is another story :D

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.42.38.png

where is your food going? refrigerator?

In the kitchen Joe :D

Plan is to put the fridge dead centre, induction hob on the far right with connected extractor and sink on far left, we should have good margins for drawers on either side on the fridge and there will be overhead storage of course yet to be modeled. We will also try and figure out a storage solution for under the seating area where we can efficiently store dry good, etc.

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.48.00.png

We are still not done with the model as you see, we might not model every detail either and leave it be until we have the truck back in our hands for the interior and systems fitout (which we will do ourselves).

Geo.Lander

Lots of great insights Iain!

We have totally ruined our living room with taped floorplan on the floors and ply and cardboard cutouts of the interior panels :ROFLMAO:

Your bathroom looks huge, and takes up a lot of space it seems to us. Hve you though about putting the toilet on a slider, so it goes back under the bed when you shower?

It does, and yes it is pretty big, but we need this space as a drying room and also want house a wall mounted washing machine eventually, the GRP panels will be corked lined to give it a warmer maritime look too, taking up a bit of space in the process. We will not have a sink on the bathroom but instead some wall mounted cabinets for all the bathroom "stuff".

We cannot take up that garage space, we need it for our bikes and systems :D and we have the space, I do not think making the bathroom smaller will gain us much more storage or utility, maybe give the interior a more airy feeling of course. But we like our gear dry, hence it is slightly harder than normal.

Regarding overhead storage, I know what you mean about the claustrophobic feeling, we will for sure have overhead cabinets in the kitchen and bedroom areas but we do not know to what extent we will have them in the living room. The plan was for low profile ones (150*300) with sliding doors like the older boats have... TBD

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 11.16.04.png

Alloy

Hatches on both sides would allow access the storage (drying locker) under the seating from outside...especially long space across the back. It will be a long reach down into the space so it could be split into access to the top from inside and access to the bottom from outside.

What is the length of the box?

What software are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles