1120 AF Build in Norway

palebluewanders

Yes I saw your comment somewhere about only having discovered the truck scene a few weeks ago and loved your impulse buying style, hah. I'm in Oz at the moment, otherwise I might've impulse bought one by now as well. Planning to leave here in Jan and hopefully be in Germany by Feb/March. Not opposed to buying one before then without first seeing it but I'm trying to have a little patience and wait for a great deal to come along (it's hard!). :⁠P

Anyway thanks so much for the link!

Sitec

Adventurer
If your prop shafts come from the transfer case going front and back and you have locking front hubs its 2wd/4wd
If your transfer case goes to a center diff then front and back it is full time 4X4. There will be one air line to the diff for locking.
Our truck has 3 open diffs, all locking. How did you test the 2wd 4wd?

Two tests... The first was up a grassy slope with the front and rear axle locked in high and in low range. We stopped when the rear axle lost traction. Low range 2WD is really handy for reversing into tricky spots with the engine at idle. Wifey likes to use it when reversing too. The second test was recently with the truck sat on axle stands. I could switch between things and see what was happening in relative safety. Here's how ours is switched. Laid out really simply. I like the fact that I can pick exactly what I want. Pic attached.

4x4.jpg

Geo.Lander

Two tests... The first was up a grassy slope with the front and rear axle locked in high and in low range. We stopped when the rear axle lost traction. Low range 2WD is really handy for reversing into tricky spots with the engine at idle. Wifey likes to use it when reversing too. The second test was recently with the truck sat on axle stands. I could switch between things and see what was happening in relative safety. Here's how ours is switched. Laid out really simply. I like the fact that I can pick exactly what I want. Pic attached.

View attachment 626407

My instruction book does not say anything about semi-permanent or full time 4x4 at all, I appreciate the testing notes, it will be full on winter here soon so icy roads will provide a good testbed. Need to do some more digging around on this topic it seems :)

Geo.Lander

With regards to high and low speed axles, I can't seem to find any charts or info to determine which mine are, posted mine below according to my vin, can anyone shed some light on what i have? maybe @VerMonsterRV @Sitec @Joe917 , etc ?

AL 3/8 D-4,7 - FRONT AXLE, RATIO 39:8 (731.345 - AL 3/8 D-4,7)
HL 4/29 D-9,2 - REAR AXLE, RATIO 43:10 (744.920 - HL 4/29 D-9,2)

palebluewanders

With regards to high and low speed axles, I can't seem to find any charts or info to determine which mine are, posted mine below according to my vin, can anyone shed some light on what i have? maybe @VerMonsterRV @Sitec @Joe917 , etc ?

AL 3/8 D-4,7 - FRONT AXLE, RATIO 39:8 (731.345 - AL 3/8 D-4,7)
HL 4/29 D-9,2 - REAR AXLE, RATIO 43:10 (744.920 - HL 4/29 D-9,2)

According to LN2 forum:

Slow 5.25 (42:8)
Medium 4.8 (39:8)
Fast 4.3 (43:10)

Geo.Lander

We are currently staying at a mountain cabin owned by my fiance's family. Using a lot of this weekend planning the building stages, financial aspects, etc. Long workdays this week have not left much brain capacity left during the midweek evenings so taking a weekend to do this makes sense.
Our trusty current overland truck LR4
DSC_0001_BURST20201121131614576.jpg

The local walks are spectacular around the cabin. The wind chill was well below 10- (°C) but still mild for the time of year.
20201121_133844.jpg

Last edited:

palebluewanders

Everywhere you look in Norway is sooo beautiful. It's #1 on my list of countries I might someday like to live in when/if I ever get tired of traveling. That second photo is stunning!

Cool dog too. We don't even have one yet but we're already designing our entire layout around having a dog hahaha.

Geo.Lander

Everywhere you look in Norway is sooo beautiful. It's #1 on my list of countries I might someday like to live in when/if I ever get tired of traveling. That second photo is stunning!

Cool dog too. We don't even have one yet but we're already designing our entire layout around having a dog hahaha.

We have 3 dogs but mostly only travel with one or 2. My brown lab is getting a bit too old now for skiing and MTB trips so he stays with my mother. The black dog in those pictures is Billie, a Borzoi-Poodle mix.

Yea, Norway is beautiful indeed. Another project of ours is a mountain cabin, still in design stage too but we hope to break ground in spring 2021!

palebluewanders

I'm sure Billie will be so thrilled to do some exploring in Gertrude later! :⁠)

The mountain cabin sounds epic. So you are doing two very ambitious projects in parallel, wow. Good luck with that one too!

nathane

We are currently staying at a mountain cabin owned by my fiance's family. Using a lot of this weekend planning the building stages, financial aspects, etc. Long workdays this week have not left much brain capacity left during the midweek evenings so taking a weekend to do this makes sense.
Our trusty current overland truck LR4
View attachment 626425

The local walks are spectacular around the cabin. The wind chill was well below 10- (°C) but still mild for the time of year.
View attachment 626426
That river looks like a fantastic paddle :)

Geo.Lander

Quick update, the cab and pump are coming off this weekend! My single wheels/tires are being prepared in Germany now because there was a cancelled order so I do no have to wait till January.

One question, Ulrich mentioned in a recent email that "There is only one important thing: On the rear axle you will find center rings behind the inner wheel. Those need to be removed before mounting the new wheels. The wheels will be centered with the outer rings!"

He has been so helpful dealing with a notice like me I didn't want to push my luck asking for more details about this, can anyone who has done the single tire conversion shed some light on these rings? I cannot locate them on the drawings of the axles..

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 12.05.55.png

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Quick update, the cab and pump are coming off this weekend! My single wheels/tires are being prepared in Germany now because there was a cancelled order so I do no have to wait till January.

One question, Ulrich mentioned in a recent email that "There is only one important thing: On the rear axle you will find center rings behind the inner wheel. Those need to be removed before mounting the new wheels. The wheels will be centered with the outer rings!"

He has been so helpful dealing with a notice like me I didn't want to push my luck asking for more details about this, can anyone who has done the single tire conversion shed some light on these rings? I cannot locate them on the drawings of the axles..

View attachment 628388
It was a couple of years ago for ours but I do not remember a ring being removed. Maybe it depends on the rims being installed?

Neil

Observer
There is definitely no Ring as described on my hubs , maybe ask him for a diagram or even a photo of a hand drawn image.

Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles