1120 AF Build in Norway

Geo.Lander

I'd say it's in position 'II', which is highway speed or high range. The '~' symbol I believe to be low range signifying hills and valleys, and the '0' symbol is neutral... :)

Thanks! I would never have been able to figure those symbols out o_O

I also see there is an ABS cutoff switch, i suppose that is there to stop circumvent the ABS when offroad?

Geo.Lander

Found the original manual! My Norwegian is poor but this motivates for practice!

If anyone knows where I can buy a switch / handle for my transfer box let me know ?
DSC_1474.JPGDSC_1477.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1475.JPG
    DSC_1475.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

Neil

Observer
With regard to the pneumatic switch .

I have exactly this.

On mine the two lines mean high ratio and rear wheel drive only

The wavy line means low ratio and four wheel drive

And the centre is a nuetral.

I know people have re plumbed this switch and adapted it to give 4wd in high ratio

My book says you must never engage or move this switch whilst moving

Neil

Geo.Lander

I have exactly this.

I know people have re plumbed this switch and adapted it to give 4wd in high ratio

Neil

OK, I had assumed these trucks were permanent 4*4...

Joe917

Explorer

I have exactly this.

Neil
These trucks are permanent 4X4. The switch is high low only.

Sitec

Adventurer
These trucks are permanent 4X4. The switch is high low only.

I thought this and discussed it early on with Neil... Ours are not permanent 4x4. Tested recently as it's currently sat on 4 axle stands in the workshop awaiting paint. To do this you'd need a transfer case with a central diff and a diff lock (like the proper Land Rover Defenders are), which is the system the late Isuzu's run. Yours may well be different.

Joe917

Explorer
I thought this and discussed it early on with Neil... Ours are not permanent 4x4. Tested recently as it's currently sat on 4 axle stands in the workshop awaiting paint. To do this you'd need a transfer case with a central diff and a diff lock (like the proper Land Rover Defenders are), which is the system the late Isuzu's run. Yours may well be different.
If your prop shafts come from the transfer case going front and back and you have locking front hubs its 2wd/4wd
If your transfer case goes to a center diff then front and back it is full time 4X4. There will be one air line to the diff for locking.
Our truck has 3 open diffs, all locking. How did you test the 2wd 4wd?

Geo.Lander

This is Danish, but It's allmost the same as Norwegian. :giggle: Congratulations on your purchase.

nei, det er norsk ikke dansk :) Thanks! Im just getting into what kind of project this really is! Meeting lots of interesting people in the process? Loving this manual! they don't make them like they used to! everything in here! How to correctly fix and operate all aspects of the vehicle!

Neil

Observer
This came up before a couple of years ago and a member Called Ian from the UK (sadly no longer with us ) had 917 that was 2 or 4wd , selected by that switch, also applying the low range in 4wd only.

Mine only has diff lock on the rear and not the front and is 2 or 4wd.

The do make the 1017 in permenant 4wd also.

I am not sure you can tell simply by the presence of that switch, it could be either.

I guess the test is when can they use a rolling road for its annual inspection. With the permenant 4wd ones they have to put a device in the cab and take it for a drive to test the brakes .

On a different note, when leaving my vehicle, i select neutral and take the knob with me. Its an extra hurdle for a would be theif to work out .

Neil

Last edited:

palebluewanders

@Geo.Lander BIG congrats on getting your truck! I'm so jealous haha, hope to have one of my own by next spring. In the meantime, I will live (and learn) vicariously through your build process. Thanks for sharing the cost too, seems like you got a fantastic deal. Which auction site did you get it from? So far I've only been keeping an eye on VEBEG but I guess there must be so many.

Geo.Lander

@Geo.Lander BIG congrats on getting your truck! I'm so jealous haha, hope to have one of my own by next spring. In the meantime, I will live (and learn) vicariously through your build process. Thanks for sharing the cost too, seems like you got a fantastic deal. Which auction site did you get it from? So far I've only been keeping an eye on VEBEG but I guess there must be so many.

Thanks! It was very much an impulse buy, we had only been musing on the idea of a truck instead of a van/smaller chassis (Daily etc) a week or 2 before we saw our 1120!

Where abouts are you located? I bought the truck on a Norwegian auction site: https://www.auksjonen.no/ - There are a few AFs coming up from time to time and sometimes other 4x4 trucks, some great bargains to be had. Generally the commercial vehicles here have a hard salty life thou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online