1120 AF Build in Norway

Geo.Lander

I have been talking to Aigner today on the phone and they have a 6m box aluminium miliary box, but they say they can cut it down to 5.5m. I really like the guys attitude and they can build the sub-frame and do the painting etc too. Question, at a wheelbase ofs 364 cm, length overall is 695cm (at the moment at least) that still seems a little long...

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Question maybe for Vegard_S. Now the truck is registered as a Motorredskap (MR). Which means no EU / TUV control, no road taxes or toll. Do you know if I can keep this registration even after it is built out? Looking at similar stories on the Land Rover forums here it seems totally possible :love:

Regarding the rules for "motorredskap" the easy and correct answer here is that it you truck will sadly not longer fullfill the requirements to keep the classification as this, and thus have to be reclassed into a "campingbil" or a "personbil over 3500kg". The rules and requirements have changed a bit over the years, but the way this is and have been practiced the last years is that no new truckbased vehicles are being registered as "motorredskap", but as regualar trucks (N2 og N3) with various special mounted equipment. This also apply to older vehicles that are being modified or converted from their original apperiance. I know this as a fact, as I am working with truck mounted special equipment for a living as a mechanical engineer for a Bodybuilder Workshop here in Norway.. (www.amv-as.no). When you convert the truck the weight and body that is mounted wil be diffrent from the original firetruck body, and the main purpose for the truck will thus no longer be fire fighting... Ergo it will get a different clasification that matches the body and intended use. For instance my Unimog went from a "Motorredskap" to "terrenggående personbil over 3500kg med campingpåbygg" when I went for the reclasification.

....But, I also know a lot of people who just modify and drive with out any modification in the registrations papers. The downside then is that if you get stopped (and at some point you will..), you will be in a lot of trouble and have a big hazzle to sort things out in a rush..

If you want you can contact med on PM and I'll be happy to give you a call and explain a bit more details around all this:)

Regarding the wheelbase and total lenght of your truck, my Unimog has a WB of 3250mm ant total overall length of 7,26m from the tip of the winch to the rear of my spare wheel, this does not feel very massive to manouver and we have managed to get around small Italian villages without any drama:)

Geo.Lander

Regarding the rules for "motorredskap" the easy and correct answer here is that it you truck will sadly not longer fullfill the requirements to keep the classification as this, and thus have to be reclassed into a "campingbil" or a "personbil over 3500kg". The rules and requirements have changed a bit over the years, but the way this is and have been practiced the last years is that no new truckbased vehicles are being registered as "motorredskap", but as regualar trucks (N2 og N3) with various special mounted equipment. This also apply to older vehicles that are being modified or converted from their original apperiance. I know this as a fact, as I am working with truck mounted special equipment for a living as a mechanical engineer for a Bodybuilder Workshop here in Norway.. (www.amv-as.no). When you convert the truck the weight and body that is mounted wil be diffrent from the original firetruck body, and the main purpose for the truck will thus no longer be fire fighting... Ergo it will get a different clasification that matches the body and intended use. For instance my Unimog went from a "Motorredskap" to "terrenggående personbil over 3500kg med campingpåbygg" when I went for the reclasification.

....But, I also know a lot of people who just modify and drive with out any modification in the registrations papers. The downside then is that if you get stopped (and at some point you will..), you will be in a lot of trouble and have a big hazzle to sort things out in a rush..

If you want you can contact med on PM and I'll be happy to give you a call and explain a bit more details around all this:)

Regarding the wheelbase and total lenght of your truck, my Unimog has a WB of 3250mm ant total overall length of 7,26m from the tip of the winch to the rear of my spare wheel, this does not feel very massive to manouver and we have managed to get around small Italian villages without any drama:)

WOW, amazing info there Vegard! Thank you so much for this, Im gonna PM you now!

Geo.Lander

So, while investigating the scene a little (i have know for ages I wanted a 4x4 camper just didnt know about the truck scene until about 3 weeks ago) I noticed all the trucks had names, so before we bought our MB 1120 allrad we decided on the name Gertrude, a little about her below!
Our namesake, Queen of the Desert Gertrude Bell - an extraordinary writer, photographer, mountaineer, archaeologist and linguist who helped found modern Iraq. She started climbing years earlier during a family holiday in La Grave, France, in 1897. She tackled greater heights with her 1899 ascents of the Meije and Les Ecrins in the French region of the Alps. Bell continued to challenge herself with other peaks in the Swiss Alps the following year. Becoming one of the leading female climbers of her day, she helped tackle some of the virgin peaks of the Engelhorner range. One of these previously uncharted peaks was named Gertrudspitze in her honor.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2017-04-14_at_12.54.0.2e16d0ba.fill-1200x630_WwF9D3r.png
    Screen_Shot_2017-04-14_at_12.54.0.2e16d0ba.fill-1200x630_WwF9D3r.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 12

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Geo.Lander.

So, earlier you mentioned chassis prep first... I found that a lot of this depends on layout of the hab box above... I would think you can clean and service the chassis ready, but expect to move some things to get exactly what you want... So far, I have found a box style muffler/silencer and modified it to fit our chassis to gain space, I've moved/swapped out the original small diesel tank for a larger tank from a tractor unit/prime mover/horse (not sure what you call them in Norway), I've also relocated the air tanks and the truck batteries all to suit the hab box and layout. The other thing I've learned is that having the access door above a wheel is also a pain. I've seen several trucks with this setup and it makes good fold out steps difficult to fabricate and use.

On the chassis, I have every available space filled with something. There is a lot of valuable space in and around the chassis, so use that space wisely. Our silencer/muffler is on the front right and the body is shaped around it. Our gas locker is on the front left, and is also shaped to suit the chassis mounted lockers. I have also learned and was advised to run 2 or even 3 water tanks for several reasons. The first is to give better options on space filling/saving. The second is in case you fill with contaminated water... Only ever fill one tank at a time if the water source is unknown.

Lastly, the logo's. They are great. Number 1 or 4 for me. :)

Joe917

Explorer
Before you jump into an aluminum build, take a good look at composite panels(FRP,GRP,foam core,etc.) Very strong,light and great thermal properties. Many suppliers will provide a fully cut flat pack you assemble yourself or you could get the bare box from someone like Ormocar.
For cold and wet weather a large cab to camper access door is really convenient. It may restrict layout but for us it is a must have.
Welcome down the rabbit hole!

Geo.Lander

Hi Geo.Lander.

So, earlier you mentioned chassis prep first... I found that a lot of this depends on layout of the hab box above... I would think you can clean and service the chassis ready, but expect to move some things to get exactly what you want... So far, I have found a box style muffler/silencer and modified it to fit our chassis to gain space, I've moved/swapped out the original small diesel tank for a larger tank from a tractor unit/prime mover/horse (not sure what you call them in Norway), I've also relocated the air tanks and the truck batteries all to suit the hab box and layout. The other thing I've learned is that having the access door above a wheel is also a pain. I've seen several trucks with this setup and it makes good fold out steps difficult to fabricate and use.

On the chassis, I have every available space filled with something. There is a lot of valuable space in and around the chassis, so use that space wisely. Our silencer/muffler is on the front right and the body is shaped around it. Our gas locker is on the front left, and is also shaped to suit the chassis mounted lockers. I have also learned and was advised to run 2 or even 3 water tanks for several reasons. The first is to give better options on space filling/saving. The second is in case you fill with contaminated water... Only ever fill one tank at a time if the water source is unknown.

Lastly, the logo's. They are great. Number 1 or 4 for me. :)

Thanks for the advice! I will be storing all water inside the box due to the cold weather, i will try and keep a small grey water tank on the outside maybe insulated if possible, Ulrich Dolde had some good advice in that regard, I still need to buy his book however! I have been talking to Michael from aigner over the past few days, really positive to those old military units and they might have one that is large enough for my build. I'll get some specs and prices today from them!

I had not thought about relocating the air etc, getting some custom fuel tanks might be the best option, he mentioned tanknologie for these, I will need to make a spreadsheet with all these options and recommendations I am getting from the group!

Geo.Lander

Before you jump into an aluminum build, take a good look at composite panels(FRP,GRP,foam core,etc.) Very strong,light and great thermal properties. Many suppliers will provide a fully cut flat pack you assemble yourself or you could get the bare box from someone like Ormocar.
For cold and wet weather a large cab to camper access door is really convenient. It may restrict layout but for us it is a must have.
Welcome down the rabbit hole!

I am in contact with Ormocar now, but their lead time on a empty box is one year already now (they expect that to increase). I don't really have the facilities to build and mount a box. I wanted this to be done along with the sub-frame build by "pros" to be honest but the prices i got from AluStar and Fuss was just crazy (one quote tipped over €100k).

Joe917

Explorer
I am in contact with Ormocar now, but their lead time on a empty box is one year already now (they expect that to increase). I don't really have the facilities to build and mount a box. I wanted this to be done along with the sub-frame build by "pros" to be honest but the prices i got from AluStar and Fuss was just crazy (one quote tipped over €100k).
I think a professionally built and mounted box from an experienced builder is the only way to go. It will be much faster (even with the wait)and will avoid the first build mistakes at a critical point. I know two German couples that both said the same thing" it took 3 builds before they got it right".

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Just the box might be about €20K, but then the subframe from another company, windows and doors from someone like Outbound (whose website lists prices), putting the complete empty box, painted, in place on the truck, extending the chassis to mount the spare(s) at the back maybe, another overseeing it all.......
The "higher" spec KCT windows from Germany are literally twice the cost of Outbound which to me is bonkers (when I was looking anyway), although Aigner among others can supply at the maximum allowed discount.
Then internal stuff.
Since you have a blank canvas I would still suggest design the interior you want then see what size box you need.
Do you want a two person dinette or do you hope for a six seater for guests? Do you want a double bed permanently in place or to convert a suitable dinette every day? Just those two give at least a two metre variation in your required internal length.
The Unicat website as a suggestion shows in quite some detail both what you can buy today as well as used for sale, so you can copy and adapt their layout ideas to suit you. Plus you then will discover you absolutley must have a Nespresso machine ;)

Geo.Lander

Just the box might be about €20K, but then the subframe from another company, windows and doors from someone like Outbound (whose website lists prices), putting the complete empty box, painted, in place on the truck, extending the chassis to mount the spare(s) at the back maybe, another overseeing it all.......
The "higher" spec KCT windows from Germany are literally twice the cost of Outbound which to me is bonkers (when I was looking anyway), although Aigner among others can supply at the maximum allowed discount.
Then internal stuff.
Since you have a blank canvas I would still suggest design the interior you want then see what size box you need.
Do you want a two person dinette or do you hope for a six seater for guests? Do you want a double bed permanently in place or to convert a suitable dinette every day? Just those two give at least a two metre variation in your required internal length.
The Unicat website as a suggestion shows in quite some detail both what you can buy today as well as used for sale, so you can copy and adapt their layout ideas to suit you. Plus you then will discover you absolutley must have a Nespresso machine ;)

I might have to forgo Nespresso for my hipstery isomac giada machine I've had 15 years now ;) so there goes my 12 & 24v only policy ?

I agree on the lead time Vs DIY issue. I just know I won't be able to work full time on this, and that's what it would take for a fully DIY job correctly.

I have 2 floor plans in mind which I'll post at a later date, but my interior layout is 5m * 2.4m currently. The interior layout I plan to do in stages myself.

Sitec

Adventurer
I think having a simple 240V circuit is a must too... We will have a couple of sockets inside the kitchen, and supplies to the fridges which are 12/240v, the battery chargers, and also the air con unit. The main reason for out 240v circuit is so the truck can be hooked up when its parked at home in the shed. That way all we have to do is stock the fridge, and go when we want to. We have made provision for a generator, solely to run the air con when out in the Outback on 40+ deg days. It's also a get out of jail card for charging flat batteries.

Joe917

Explorer
I would highly recommend you find space for a washing machine, that will definitely need 240 volts, ( ok maybe 120v or 230v ... )

Geo.Lander

I think having a simple 240V circuit is a must too... We will have a couple of sockets inside the kitchen, and supplies to the fridges which are 12/240v, the battery chargers, and also the air con unit. The main reason for out 240v circuit is so the truck can be hooked up when its parked at home in the shed. That way all we have to do is stock the fridge, and go when we want to. We have made provision for a generator, solely to run the air con when out in the Outback on 40+ deg days. It's also a get out of jail card for charging flat batteries.

I have been shopping around for inverters with "shore power" outlets. It seems there are a lot of options in the 1000-2000w range which will work well for our needs (220v).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94