1120 AF Build in Norway

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello and welcome! So, the easy bit is done! You have a truck... and a great one at that! Well done! Now, it's only a mistake if you don't follow it through! If you are starting out having never done anything like this before, then you must ask lots of questions. The questions you don't ask are the mistakes you will make. :) Also, these two books are very handy. Steve's book gives a good insight into how to go about it, and basic setup. Ulrich's book goes into a lot more detail.. Layouts, wiring etc. The project will consume you if you let it, so allow plenty of time and $$$. Last of all, Good Luck! :)

Book 1.PNG

Book 2.PNG

Geo.Lander

Thanks for the encouragement Sitec! A lot of decisions to be made still but I hope I can see this project through and enjoy the overland lifestyle. Previously traveling with my LR4 and camping equipment skiing and mountain biking but felt it was time for a capable rig.
Right now I have no idea how I'm going to prepare the chassis until I know what I've bought. I know the cab configuration is very desirable (couldn't find it in EU for under €35k) and we got a relevant steal here for this truck. Not s big market in Norway for them. There's a full work's book and parts catalog I saw in the pictures so I'm really hoping she's in good shape ?

I've settled to have the cabin and frame (sub-frame?) Built professionally so I'll need to figure out how to prep the chassis. My plan is to do that then drop her off in Germany for an empty cabin (aluminium I'm thinking) and paint job..

More pics below

Geo.Lander

Sorry about the screen grabs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-003233.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003233.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20201027-003225.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003225.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20201027-003222.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003222.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20201027-003203.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003203.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20201027-003157.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003157.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20201027-003134.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003134.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20201027-003123.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003123.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20201027-003026.png
    Screenshot_20201027-003026.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 69

Madoxen

Welcome to EP and congratulations on your new truck so long as it is mechanically sound i dont think you can go wrong with the truck you have won. As Sitec said the 2 books are very usefull and well worth purchasing. as well as the mountain of infomation here on the forum to help you on your way.
Congrats again and good luck with the build.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Hi Thea & Dimitri!
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome into this crazy world:)

Where in Norway are you located? Im In the far south. After spending the far best of the last five years on building our Unimog overland truck, I have some insight on how to do and not do things:) So if you would want to meet up for a chat and a cup of coffe sometime, youre very welcome!

Geo.Lander

Welcome to EP and congratulations on your new truck so long as it is mechanically sound i dont think you can go wrong with the truck you have won. As Sitec said the 2 books are very usefull and well worth purchasing. as well as the mountain of infomation here on the forum to help you on your way.
Congrats again and good luck with the build.
Thanks! reassurance is welcome regarding the 1120!

Geo.Lander

Hi Thea & Dimitri!
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome into this crazy world:)

Where in Norway are you located? Im In the far south. After spending the far best of the last five years on building our Unimog overland truck, I have some insight on how to do and not do things:) So if you would want to meet up for a chat and a cup of coffe sometime, youre very welcome!

Hello Vegard! Your comment is most welcome, i thought i would be pretty much alone in Norway undertaking a truck conversion :eek:
We are currently based in the centre of Oslo but moving out out the city about 20km North next month. It would be very interesting to meet and have a coffee and talk truck, the offer is much appreciated! Love the Mog btw, i looked through all your insta pictures already! I was looking at Mogs as a first option but they were out of my price range, also, we spend a lot of time on highways.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Hello Vegard! Your comment is most welcome, i thought i would be pretty much alone in Norway undertaking a truck conversion :eek:
We are currently based in the centre of Oslo but moving out out the city about 20km North next month. It would be very interesting to meet and have a coffee and talk truck, the offer is much appreciated! Love the Mog btw, i looked through all your insta pictures already! I was looking at Mogs as a first option but they were out of my price range, also, we spend a lot of time on highways.

At least there is 2 crazy guys in Norway now:)
Very happy to share my experience with you! I will follow your build with great interest!

...regarding the Mog, it was also kinda out of my price range :ROFLMAO::p ...and also not the best for long highway stretches, but it usually get there in the end!
Although not 100% up to date you can finds some more info about my build in this thread:

Neil

Observer
Welcome to the group. No such thing as a stupid question on here.

There is the best wealth of knowledge and Sound advice to be had with this group.

Firstly, you have chosen an excellent vehicle, it will be an awesome overland truck.

Stand by for some changes in your life.

Firstly, as Sitec says, it will consume you. Every minute of your thoughts will now be truck based

Your friends , although encouraging, will all start to put a slight distance between you , they will soon get bored hearing about solar panels and tyres etc. ( only joking )

But we don't, so lots of pictures and updates please.

Good luck

Neil

Geo.Lander

At least there is 2 crazy guys in Norway now:)
Very happy to share my experience with you! I will follow your build with great interest!

...regarding the Mog, it was also kinda out of my price range :ROFLMAO::p ...and also not the best for long highway stretches, but it usually get there in the end!
Although not 100% up to date you can finds some more info about my build in this thread:

wow, amazing thread! I have found this evenings reading! Loving the 3D rendering you did too, im just trying to learn sketchup now but it aint that easy even with my background in IT systems. It is an impressive MOG you have built yourself! I am not planning a 100% self build due to time issues (not to mention lack of skills, tools and a warm garage).

Geo.Lander

Welcome to the group. No such thing as a stupid question on here.

There is the best wealth of knowledge and Sound advice to be had with this group.

Firstly, you have chosen an excellent vehicle, it will be an awesome overland truck.

Stand by for some changes in your life.

Firstly, as Sitec says, it will consume you. Every minute of your thoughts will now be truck based

Your friends , although encouraging, will all start to put a slight distance between you , they will soon get bored hearing about solar panels and tyres etc. ( only joking )

But we don't, so lots of pictures and updates please.

Good luck

Neil

This was funny to read, truth be told I have not really told many friends yet as this is so far out there in my circle I think it will be met with some weird looks, but who cares. I have wanted one of these trucks since I was little kid in Greece watching all the German and Austrian trucks camp out net to the beach!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Our Saurer 6dm has one of those German Army boxes converted into an overland camper. You don't need a torsion-free subframe for this to work. Ours is bolted to a steel platform which is bolted to the chassis. The frame rails on the Saurer are 12 inches tall I believe, and doubt there is much flex with those. The box itself works, but, once internal additions are in place, the box gets a bit skinny! I'm 6' 2" tall, and the bedroom with the Seitz window frames sticking out, is shorter. Our setup is nearly identical to Ulrich's truck, but more of a 'utilitarian' build. Not as fancy in other words~! Additional bonus on these boxes, are they can be removed and set on another truck in case the first dies on you. The Inside dimension of the box is around 13 feet, too small for us, so we found a company in Arizona, where we lived at the time, to add 29" to the box. The pic below shows that addition in front, prior to paint. Search Saurer 6dm on this forum for more information, if interested. We have a for sale ad in place with most of the pics to see. Bought a house in Baja, no longer going to travel much. Dave.

Side note, my mother's family is from Tingvoll, their family name is Thingvold.

Attachments

• DSCN998018800032.JPG
    DSCN998018800032.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Our Saurer 6dm has one of those German Army boxes converted into an overland camper. You don't need a torsion-free subframe for this to work. Ours is bolted to a steel platform which is bolted to the chassis. The frame rails on the Saurer are 12' tall I believe, and doubt there is much flex with those. The box itself works, but, once internal additions are in place, the box gets a bit skinny! I'm 6' 2" tall, and the bedroom with the Seitz window frames sticking out, is shorter. Our setup is nearly identical to Ulrich's truck, but more of a 'utilitarian' build. Not as fancy in other words~! Additional bonus on these boxes, are they can be removed and set on another truck in case the first dies on you. The Inside dimension of the box is around 13 feet, too small for us, so we found a company in Arizona, where we lived at the time, to add 29" to the box. The pic below shows that addition in front, prior to paint. Search Saurer 6dm on this forum for more information, if interested. We have a for sale ad in place with most of the pics to see. Bought a house in Baja, no longer going to travel much. Dave.

Side note, my mother's family is from Tingvoll, their family name is Thingvold.

A very handsome build Grenadiers! I have looked at some of those army boxes on mobile .de but discounted them due to size and insulation. I think the work to extend and properly insulate one might end up being quite a lot of work and expense? I have never seen one in reality thou. Very cool colour btw!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles