1120 AF Build in Norway

tanuki.himself

I have some nagging concerns with the thought of induction, battery bank size, inverter size, charging it in the winter months up north when we stay put for 3-4 days. Plus i like cooking with gas.. I am still a little on the fence thou..
Always good to have an alternative heat source if you have a failure with a component on the electrical side, and based on personal experience in the US combined charger/transformer/inverter units are fine until they break, then nothing works. With stand alone propane you can always flame grill your food, heat water to wash and fill a hot water bottle for bedtime. And its silent - i hated the noise (and smell) of my own generator running, let alone listening to other campers'

Geo.Lander

Initially, just remove the pump propellershaft from the Power TakeOff. If you want to remove the PTO that can be considerable work.
Sandwich type PTO probably the most difficult. You might be better off leaving PTO alone. Or perhaps see if its mainhousing can remain after removing and capping off its un needed portions.
Sandwitch type.View attachment 624748
Transfercase type. View attachment 624749
Another is “split shaft” Perhaps more common on rear drive firetrucks.
A gearbox intercepts its rear shaft, to send power to a pump or rear axel.

Thanks so much for this! I see there is a PTO switch in the cab next to the difflockers, i assume it is the transferase type.. So it is just to disconnect that axle and leave the PTO in place then :)

Geo.Lander

Keep the PTO. You will be able to run hydraulic winch, rams , etc.

Thanks, ill do that :D I was thinking of a back lift actually, you can get Zepro units here for almost free (mostly they have their own hydraulic motors thou), i dont know how much work it will be to convert it to a horizontal platform instead of vertical but definitely doable...

324_1934008809.jpg

Geo.Lander

Always good to have an alternative heat source if you have a failure with a component on the electrical side, and based on personal experience in the US combined charger/transformer/inverter units are fine until they break, then nothing works. With stand alone propane you can always flame grill your food, heat water to wash and fill a hot water bottle for bedtime. And its silent - i hated the noise (and smell) of my own generator running, let alone listening to other campers'

I have very little experience in that regard, my plan for heating has always been diesel. I know Webasto units are reliable having used them for years without a single failure, less experience with Truma but I hear good things, parts and servicing is reliably available here for those systems.

I was thinking to just have the gas under the sink with a spare one in the storage areas, but now I am having some fun designing my chassis storage bins (from https://edelstahlhaus.de/) I am thinking to make a dedicated "propane" storage box-...

tanuki.himself

I have very little experience in that regard, my plan for heating has always been diesel. I know Webasto units are reliable having used them for years without a single failure, less experience with Truma but I hear good things, parts and servicing is reliably available here for those systems.

I was thinking to just have the gas under the sink with a spare one in the storage areas, but now I am having some fun designing my chassis storage bins (from https://edelstahlhaus.de/) I am thinking to make a dedicated "propane" storage box-...
propane/butane should always be stored outside of the cabin area with an outlet in the floor to allow any leaking gas to exit the vehicle rather than filling it and suffocating you/causing an potentially explosive build up. I've fitted a gas drop to my build where the propane lines terminate and connect to appliances inside the cabin so, again, any leaking gas will exit the cabin. I believe there may also be regulations that require unimpeded access to shut off the propane supply from outside the vehicle in an emergency - certainly all the commercial RVs i've owned and used in the US, Aus and NZ had doors to the gas storage area without locks.

i've avoided diesel in the camper as my rig is demountable so i want it to work stand alone from the truck fuel supply without the need for a separate tank, but I guess that is not an issue for you. I like webasto, i think Truma are very expensive and overpriced, and if so many places are selling spares for them I wonder if that is because they fail a lot - i found separate components with good reviews that do all the things Truma can for a lot less money and space

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Delivery day! To say I'm excited is an understatement! The overall condition is great and we took her for a little drive and everything seemed to work. The delivery company said they had a diesel leak but just tightened the fuel filter..DSC_1451.JPGDSC_1455.JPG20201115_134703 (1).jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1458.JPG
    DSC_1458.JPG
    967.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1457.JPG
    DSC_1457.JPG
    648.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1454.JPG
    DSC_1454.JPG
    807.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1446 (2).jpg
    DSC_1446 (2).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Today was as wet as they come here (Norway), plus it gets dark at about 1530 right now. So After work I have most been organising wheels and tires! Pretty fascinating amount of confusion out there if you want to convert to single rear wheels.
I quickly fell in line thou and abandoned the 20" realm and ordered some 11.75-22.5 IS 110mm from a reputable German supplier, although these will not be available until January 2021 (apparently there is a trucklife boom in the EU at least).

Took me a bit of time to understand the offset issue since these wheels fit flip mounted on the front/back, so the greater the offset the more inverse that will be on the front axle (i was told the front axle track is always wider).

Now, tires, i have opted to have them mounted and shipped along with the wheels, works out quite a bit cheaper than buying them in Norway even with the 25% VAT and import charges. I went for the Nokian R-Truck Steer on both axles (I was assured that was alright). I have a long standing trusting relationship with Nokian tires and really like the tread profile! I suppose looks matter, who knew :love:?

So, all being well I should have these by mid January sometime and will probably mount them early spring for our trip down to Germania!

09fedf94-e775-4564-bb19-7a1858dedeae-large__r_0.jpg

Geo.Lander

What's the outside diameter of those new tyres in comparison to your originals?

Currently they are 9R 22.5 and i do not know how that translates to modern dimensions at all. I have ordered the common 385/65 R22.5.

According to an online calculator the 385/65 is 3366mm in circumference..

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Currently they are 9R 22.5 and i do not know how that translates to modern dimensions at all. I have ordered the common 385/65 R22.5.

According to an online calculator the 385/65 is 3366mm in circumference..
Your speedo will now report a slower speed than you are traveling at. Bonus is your top speed will increase by a few kph ?. We also noticed a better ride with the larger tires.

Geo.Lander

Low range engaged?

I know these trucks have very low gearing but I have a question about my transfer case, I need to order a new lever/knob for mine it seems, can anyone tell me what position it's in now?
20201116_191256.jpg

Neil

Observer
Your speedo will now report a slower speed than you are traveling at. Bonus is your top speed will increase by a few kph ?. We also noticed a better ride with the larger tires.
You can calibrate them from the speedo head. Its usually a small screw or a series of dip switches.

Ours has a tacho on it and it's a small screw that re calibrated it

Neil

Geo.Lander

You can calibrate them from the speedo head. Its usually a small screw or a series of dip switches.

Ours has a tacho on it and it's a small screw that re calibrated it

Neil

Thanks Neil! Ill have to get this sorted before I recertify the truck!

Sitec

Adventurer
Low range engaged?

I know these trucks have very low gearing but I have a question about my transfer case, I need to order a new lever/knob for mine it seems, can anyone tell me what position it's in now?
View attachment 625726
I'd say it's in position 'II', which is highway speed or high range. The '~' symbol I believe to be low range signifying hills and valleys, and the '0' symbol is neutral... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior