110 ExMOD Defender

Scott Brady

Founder
We are fortunate to have very interesting trucks stopping by the shop in Prescott, and as we have found with overlanding in general, the people who actually do travel around the world or to far off distant places are usually very interesting as well.

Actually, I have never found a serious overlander that was not very interesting, and usually they are articulate, accomplished and very well traveled.

So yesterday, a gentleman (Stephen) stopped by the shop while he was in the area doing some home shopping. They are considering moving to Prescott.

I originally met Stephen in Leadville at the LRNR, and enjoyed the brief conversation we had there. So when he called to see if a shop visit in our schedule, we jumped at the chance to see Stephen and his Land Rover again. He is an Overland Journal subscriber, and has traveled around the world as a commercial pilot (over 20 years) and served in the Marines before that. Stephen is also a General level HAM, and extremely knowledgeable on the subject. He now tinkers with Land Rovers, though tinkering is too light an adjective to describe the work he has done to the Ex MOD 110 he drives daily.

Here are a few images.
L1030518.JPG

Dixon-Bate tow jaw and 8274 mounted to the commercial ARB bumper. rock guards on the lights. Ready for a tire on the bonnet. 300 TDI under the bonnet

L1030513.JPG

I love the tan canvas top and flat khaki paint

L1030515.JPG

L1030520.JPG

MOD Wolf, tubed rim wheels with tubes and Michelin 7.5 XZL

L1030521.JPG

A slick water can holder, which serves to protect and insulate the 5 gallon NATO unit.

L1030522.JPG

Icom 706 on the dash, and all the licenses to use it.

L1030524.JPG

Hand-built UHF antenna

L1030525.JPG

L1030526.JPG

Sweet truck!

Last edited:
S

stu454

Nice truck!

I've got a serious jonesing for a truck like that.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I used to have a 71' ex-mod 109" 2 door soft top. 24,000 original miles. You'd think that being a military vehicle it would be beat but it was in very good shape and drove sweet for a series truck. I really miss that truck now.....

JSQ

Adventurer
That's an interesting ExMOD.
It's funny how even starting with the same very simple vehicle, people diverge so much. He's updated it a lot, but in very different ways.

I always wonder what my truck would be like with roll-up doors.

I'm glad that this guy is also rolling HAM only with no stereo. Awesome.

JSQ

Adventurer
do not all MOD trucks have the door and storage compartment for jerry cans like jack's?

That was the first thing I thought: ****** happened to the jerry can compartments?
He's got those cans floating around in the back when they could be neatly stowed. I'm guessing he changed out the whole tub from a civilian truck.

Is it just me or did he pull his roll bar? I only see the galvy hoopset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne