'11 Suzuki SX4 AWD

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
These wheels are 15x6.5 ET38. Zero rubbing with 215/75/15. I ran these same wheels with 20mm spacers in the front and 30mm in the back. The front rubbed a bit at full lock and the back would only just touch the fenders over big bumps with a heavy load in the back.

I think a happy medium with this tire size would be about +25. Anything more aggressive than that you'll probably get into rubbing issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer

nasko

Adventurer
great trip report. Canada is a beautiful country. On another topic you must have a crush in Subie's or sth. You mention them more than Zuk's. Enjoy your ride.
Cheers

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My latest adventure! Canada's East Coast. 3 weeks and more than 10,000km. This was definitely the most I've ever asked of the SX4 in terms of towing. Zero complaints, she just asked for more. What a little tank this thing is! Amazingly after 10,000km and hours and hours worth of WOT climbing hills, it didn't burn a drop of oil. Take that Subaru! :smiley_drive:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161969-Canadian-East-Coast-3-weeks-and-10-000km!

Lol my 2.5 cvt has done just shy of 90,000 with zero issues. 1800lb boat + gear for 3yrs. And the last 3yrs two kids, dog and 1300lb 4x6 trailer. WOT is rare to zero it hauled the 1800lb 21ft racing boat at 70mph easily.

Your SX has impressed me though. Built really well for its price point for sure. Way too small for our setup though.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
great trip report. Canada is a beautiful country. On another topic you must have a crush in Subie's or sth. You mention them more than Zuk's. Enjoy your ride.
Cheers

So beautiful we're going back again in October! This time just for golf though, no exploring.

Haha on the subie remark. I hang out with just about all subaru drivers. They've adopted me into their local car scene since a Suzuki scene is non-existent. I'm just so used to chirping them that it comes a little too naturally. And that comment was strictly on the zero oil use for what I would call about as "extreme use" as you can get. I got my one buddy a 5L jug of 0W20 and funnel for his birthday. He got me a card with a print out of the Kelley blue book value of my vehicle for my birthday. You can see where I'm going with this.

Lol my 2.5 cvt has done just shy of 90,000 with zero issues. 1800lb boat + gear for 3yrs. And the last 3yrs two kids, dog and 1300lb 4x6 trailer. WOT is rare to zero it hauled the 1800lb 21ft racing boat at 70mph easily.

Your SX has impressed me though. Built really well for its price point for sure. Way too small for our setup though.

That's what Suzuki excelled at when they sold vehicles here. No other manufacturer could touch them in terms of value/quality for your buck. That goes for the Grand Vitara, Kizashi, and SX4. Too bad they just failed at everything else...

Dake21

Adventurer
That's what Suzuki excelled at when they sold vehicles here. No other manufacturer could touch them in terms of value/quality for your buck. That goes for the Grand Vitara, Kizashi, and SX4. Too bad they just failed at everything else...

Yeah. Nobody else was making a 4wd making over 20MPG in the early 2000s. If Suzuki was better at marketing (or could market at all) they would be in the same boat as Toyota and Honda imo.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I have just sent a link on this thread to my daughter ,who is currently studying to be a vet , (shes hoping to go to Canada, and plays ice hockey So should fit in) as I discovered the SX4 4Grip as it is called in the UK , when looking for a replacement for her Freelander. They are rare as hens teeth in UK , 90% are sold as the straight 2WD SX4
. I was so impressed with it that I bought a Fiat Sedici (they are cheaper with a Fiat badge) , as a DD myself . The Sedici is mostly sold as 4WD , and with the Fiat diesel . They are both built on the same production line in a Joint venture factory Fiat/Suzuki in Hungary .
The latest model Fiat Panda 4X4 uses the identical drive train . Its a pity that there is no aftermarket goodies available here , that you have put to such good effect on your car.

kenny256

A very awesome build! I had to show some people earlier! Way to take something that most would not even think about making into something this cool!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GearGoat

Awesome thread and build Wagoneersx4! we pick up ours (the wife's car) on Sat out in Kitchener (We're in Whitby), she is pretty stoked. She had a Samurai years ago that she eventually killed but we have always liked Suzuki (and I've had their bikes too). Haven't read your trip report as yet (tomorrow over lunch) but I do have a question with regards to your trailer. We are picking up a Fleetwood Neon Sat morning (ironically 3 hrs before we go get the SX4 in Picton, it will be a long day of driving!) and was wondering roughly what the weight of your trailer set up is? the Fleetwood Neon dry weight is 950lbs, I know the book says the SX4 will tow 2000lbs, but how are you finding towing your trailer? Our SX4 is the 6sp manual as well.

Thanks!
D

p.s - we are heading to Colorado for a race (mtn bike) next summer, I think this might be the vehicle to take! my Mini will not be too happy towing the camper, but I'm hoping the SX4 will be fine...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Awesome thread and build Wagoneersx4! we pick up ours (the wife's car) on Sat out in Kitchener (We're in Whitby), she is pretty stoked. She had a Samurai years ago that she eventually killed but we have always liked Suzuki (and I've had their bikes too). Haven't read your trip report as yet (tomorrow over lunch) but I do have a question with regards to your trailer. We are picking up a Fleetwood Neon Sat morning (ironically 3 hrs before we go get the SX4 in Picton, it will be a long day of driving!) and was wondering roughly what the weight of your trailer set up is? the Fleetwood Neon dry weight is 950lbs, I know the book says the SX4 will tow 2000lbs, but how are you finding towing your trailer? Our SX4 is the 6sp manual as well.

Thanks!
D

p.s - we are heading to Colorado for a race (mtn bike) next summer, I think this might be the vehicle to take! my Mini will not be too happy towing the camper, but I'm hoping the SX4 will be fine...
The SX4 will tow it no problem! I've had my trailer loaded up to well over 1000# and as long as you load it with proper tongue weight to stop the tongue from pulling up over bumps, you won't even know it's back there.

You will however notice it on the highway when you get to some inclines. That 140ft.lb of tq doesn't go a long ways. Don't be afraid to use 4th and sometimes even 3rd.

This little thing will take a beating and just ask for more. You'll love it as a little two mule!

GearGoat

The SX4 will tow it no problem! I've had my trailer loaded up to well over 1000# and as long as you load it with proper tongue weight to stop the tongue from pulling up over bumps, you won't even know it's back there.

You will however notice it on the highway when you get to some inclines. That 140ft.lb of tq doesn't go a long ways. Don't be afraid to use 4th and sometimes even 3rd.

This little thing will take a beating and just ask for more. You'll love it as a little two mule!

Awesome!! thanks!

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles