1017a camper/tiny house buIld

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
Starting to make some serious progress on these drawers and cabinets. Almost finished with the lower half!

c57d391cf18632b08a2195ce735b1c57.jpg
365b3d6d8984fcc94eec4be7c13344bd.jpg
03e1b8f403856dddefca0cfb3fc30496.jpg
c03d99bab699e66629a8fb6cdc4fa7cd.jpg

snowfall2009

Observer
Tech info resources

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a 1983 MB 1017a, for a family trip from Alaska to Argentina.
Do any of you have owner and workshop manuals, or any other tech info resources that will help me get to know the vehicle better?
Thanks,
Snowfall

Neil

Observer
If you havent already purchased it then i would definately look at the AF model as most of these were fire engines and had the faster axles.
The NG cab wasnt prone to rust but check the hinges on the cab when tilted. This is a hard place to repair.

Good luck.

Neil

Neil

Observer
Hey Neil,
I guess it is a bit too late for that, I just paid for it. but thanks for your assistance

You can upgrade your axles to the faster ones. You ned to get the faster crown and pinions . It is possible ( I know )and makes an incredible difference .

At 50mp on flat road in 5th I am now at 2000 to 2100 rpm and its very quiet .

Fuel consumption about 15 mpg ( uk gal )

22.5 inch rims with super singles 385 65 x 22.5 make a big difference ( i can supply the rim details )

Where are you based ?

Neil

snowfall2009

Observer
Thanks for your interest,
We are based in Jerusalem, the truck is now in the UK, going through some modifications, will post some pictures once completed.

Actually, this truck has some overlanding history, it even belonged to a member of this forum called nomadic, which I was trying to contact, as I am interested to know more about its history. this is what he wrote here in 2011 regarding fuel consumption an , so I guess fast axles have already been installed:

"My experience after 6 years of continuous travel with a MB 1017A: 20 - 25 liter per 100 Km.

My 1017A has fast axles because it's from commercial origin. Rear has double tires fitted with Michellin XZY-2.

Average travel weight is about 9600 Kg at 11 Tons max.

Fuel consumption reduces a bit when fitting AVM hubs on the front axle"

The interior looks different then what it looked back when nomadic owned it, the last owner did some work on it, and we are doing some more.

Do any of you have experience in entering the USA by sea with such a car? I know I need to get EPA approval. Do you know of other issues I need to take care of regarding shipping?

Thanks

Neil

Observer
I know this truck. I have sat in it with at least two previous owners including the original converter. Small world

Neil

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
No EPA approval required - just regular inspection for mud etc. and a 1 year permit. Since its 25 years old it can even be sold here afterwards.

Go on billcaids website. There are all the technical documents for the 1017a on there. I would highly suggest replacing ALL of the fluids. As in my case the vehicle had very low miles, but i assume original fluids. Fluid flush made a massive difference for my clutch. Dont expect cruising above 60 in these trucks though.

Any updates on this build.???
It's been a long time since I made an update. I have the interior all finished, drove it on a few trips since finished. My next trip will be Glacier national Park in a few months. I have had to replace a worn out air pump that caused the air system to stop working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94