100s in the Hills - 2018

Maddmatt

Explorer
I just returned from a truly remarkable event, and since I don't really spend much time on Mud anymore, thought I'd post up here for those who are interested.

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend "100's in the Hills" in Silverton, Colorado as a guest of my brother, Nakman on the forums, and owner of Gamaviti expedition products. I'm supposed to be catching up with work, but I'm still buzzing from the experience so thought I'd share my thoughts here.

I've always been a huge fan of Toyotas, and can count a Hilux, a TRD Tacoma, an FJ40, an FJ62 and a 3rd Gen 4runner in my roster of past rides, but I branched out a few years ago, and have been more focused on raising kids and other stuff than wheeling, so it was great to get back to my "roots", so to speak.

If you're looking for the short story: Probably the best event I've ever attended, and I've been to a lot. Here's a pretty picture.
IMG_4901.JPG

Now the long story - Stan and Chris have really created something remarkable here. I never met these guys before, but one of the great things about this community is that by the time you've signed in, you're on a first name basis with everybody.

First things first, there are approximately 100, 100-series Landcruisers at this event, which means about 200-250 people, many of them kids, and numerous dogs - this is a very inclusive, family friendly event. They have also really embraced the Silverton community - which has been hard hit by the double whammy of a poor snow year and a forest fire (the 416 fire) which shut down the train and the town's primary source of income. In addition to bringing a couple hundred people to town who buy gas, go to restaurants, etc..., they created an opportunity for attendees to contribute above and beyond their registration, which resulted in a few thousand dollars going directly to the Silverton school and to the town's general assistance fund. That money will go a long ways for people who saw a big portion of their yearly income erased through no fault of their own. Was a great feeling to be a part of that.

The trails in the Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area are obviously legendary - In only three days I was able to run Cinnamon, Hurricane, Engineer, California Gulch, Corkscrew Gulch, Yankee Boy Basin, Governer's Basin and probably some I've forgotten. They limit each run to 10 vehicles, so the odds of a high altitude traffic jam are reduced as much as possible, and the trail leaders are well seasoned. I saw fully built expedition-ready vehicles on the trail with mall crawlers with running boards still attached - everybody was able to challenge themselves in a safe manner and return unharmed - full of stories and plans for the next trail and or upgrade. Here's some more pictures....

Downtown Silverton, at the welcome event at the Avon Hotel
IMG_4696.JPG

Lunch Break - Governor's Basin - Stay the Trail is more than a slogan with these guys, a lot of effort by the Trail Leaders to plan rest breaks where 10 trucks and their associated people could Tread Lightly in the high alpine environment.
IMG_4882.JPG

Approaching the top of Yankee BoyIMG_4869.JPG

To be honest I forget exactly where this one was....
IMG_4905.JPG

I'm sure more experienced people will post better trip reports when they get back, both here and on Mud - the event is still going on, I just wanted to get this up before I get dragged back into work. If the purchase of a 100 series Landcruiser is the price of entry into this community, I'd say the price is too cheap. I give it a full 5 stars, 9/7 would do again, two thumbs up, whatever rating system you prefer.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Looks awesome! I have wanted to attend HIH for years, but school has kept me from it. One year I will make it, I just hope I still have a 100 by then!

RND1

Observer
Nice write up and pics! I was at HIH7 with my 11 yr old and we had an absolutely amazing time - drove out and back from Boston. Plan to go every other year so looking forward to HIH9. Your brother is a popular guy with all that he gives away during the raffle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior