$1000 94 Toyota Landcruiser Money Pit?

Lynnrb

Observer
How deep a money pit can a 94 FJ 80 be? It is complete, was registered and running last week. Has at least a blown head gasket, No rust, faded paint on hood and roof. 205k miles.

CSG

Explorer
What's your idea of a money pit? What are you willing to spend? Do you have the skills to do the work yourself?

I bought one just like that this past year for $200. The engine was beyond reasonable repair, which was fine with me as I had the engine from my wrecked 1996 that I ended up swapping in. Now I am working on swapping my locking axles and the OME lift in.

jschmidt

Adventurer
So far, the bid is one engine, two axles and a year. I'm interested to see how high this will go. :coffeedrink:

Klierslc

Explorer
It can be as deep as you want it to be. If you just do the hg and miscellaneous PM (hoses, belts, leaky items, etc) then less than 2k. If you want to mod it and make it pristine, 20k...

Lynnrb

Observer
I will repair the engine myself. But are these available in running condition for under $2000? A money pit is spending more than it is worth.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Here's my take from someone shopping for a "rig". Not a daily driver but an off road rig.

I wouldn't buy an old Land Cruiser without the front/rear diff locks but with those diff locks even a non running truck..... Small Lift/tires/engine and you got yourself a built rig.. Cheap in my book.

Klierslc

Explorer
I will repair the engine myself. But are these available in running condition for under $2000? A money pit is spending more than it is worth.

Not typically sold for under 4k in good running condition unless they are cosmetically trashed.

richxd87

Observer
If no rust and the rest seems like its been well maintained, I'd definitely think it would be worth it. You can likely find a pulled engine from someone doing a swap for $500-1000 and rebuild it on the stand or just throw it in there figure the rest out as it comes up. The other things like hoses, belts, fluids can nickel and dime ya but you can do that as time/money permits. If you can get the price down a little bit more, it'd be a good score!

Richard

Lynnrb

Observer
This one has not been well cared for. Now I see one in running condition for $1500, so I will be patient and find one in better shape.

NCFJ

Adventurer
If I am buying a LC to use as a driver of any sort, read RELIABLE, I figure in $2K for base lining. In your case figure another $2.5K for motor work and related parts. That puts you at $6.5K plus labor. What around you is available running for $4.5-6K?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles