100 Series Family Adventure Rig

Bretthn

Explorer
Thank you to all that voted and helped me to win the new set of Cooper STT Pro tires.

I will run my current tires to get the full life out of them before mounting the new ones.

[miko]

Great write up of the Washington Forest trip. One question about the route - do you think a two wheel drive Tundra can do the trip? We're planning a trip in early November and might take that same route. We'd have an LX470 as one vehicle and the other would be the Tundra. Appreciate any insight you can give.

Bretthn

Explorer
Great write up of the Washington Forest trip. One question about the route - do you think a two wheel drive Tundra can do the trip? We're planning a trip in early November and might take that same route. We'd have an LX470 as one vehicle and the other would be the Tundra. Appreciate any insight you can give.

You might run into traction issues in November. It will be a lot colder at higher elevation come November. If there is no ice 2 wheel drive should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragos28

Adventurer
Great build thread, I went through all of it!
I'm in the market for a LX470, looking at either a 2003 with 180k miles or a 2005 with 208k miles.

how is yours holding up?

I'm coming from a 2nd gen tundra, my tundra is 2wd and set up with race suspension. so i'm used to going fast off road. however i did have a hard time crawling up stuff. many times i needed to be winched up.

Any limitations with the lx470? does the RTT make it feel top heavy? (i also have a tepui)

Bretthn

Explorer
Great build thread, I went through all of it!
I'm in the market for a LX470, looking at either a 2003 with 180k miles or a 2005 with 208k miles.

how is yours holding up?

I'm coming from a 2nd gen tundra, my tundra is 2wd and set up with race suspension. so i'm used to going fast off road. however i did have a hard time crawling up stuff. many times i needed to be winched up.

Any limitations with the lx470? does the RTT make it feel top heavy? (i also have a tepui)

Just crossed 200,000 miles a while back and still runs like a dream. No issues with the tent up top. I drive in comfort mode most of the time but do put it in sport for long drives on curvy mountain roads to reduce the body roll. It is an extremely capable vehicle in stock form. Good luck with your search. I wouldn't be worried about the mileage on the two you are looking at. Just look for the timing belt service records.

Bretthn

Explorer
Nothing new with the Lexus, just been daily driving and pulling a trailer. We have been so busy this year we haven't had time to do any adventures. I did finally get the roof top tent mounted up this past weekend. Anyone else solo mount theirs? I've got the flip to the tailgate then slide to the roof rack method down to a science.
3166cabe4706ec2a12c2bebb3651364b.jpg
7015474bf74296f0928b351077cfc5bf.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
Wow, I never get on here anymore.

Removed the tent and have been enjoying the extra 1 mile per gallon on daily commute. Still running strong. I ordered new steering wheel leather that I have to sew on to cover the flaking and cracking clear coat on the wooden steering wheel. I am debating ordering some new front seat leather from LSeat but seems like his lackluster customer service has gotten even worse lately.

I replaced the door speakers with some cheap Alpines a few weeks ago but they have absolutely no bass running off the factory amp and Mark Levinson headunit. I plan to replace the headunit with something more modern and add a small sub behind the fridge in the back. I know none of this is very Expo but they add to the overall comfort and enjoyment for Adventures.

Hoping to get out and do a lot more camping this year than I did last.

New places on the list include New River Gorge and Thurmond Ghost town in WV. Hoping to do so OBX beach camping if we can time it out of mosquito season too.

Bretthn

Explorer
Here are some pics of the new door speakers. Not much bass from them when using the factory Mark Levinson amp and headunit. We should be getting a new headunit and removing the amp and adding a sub soon to make our trips more pleasant. We had resorted to a Bluetooth speaker playing music from our phones for a while.
b3a63222934012b65e4de7f2a7f2db9c.jpg

11eaa3001e1c3b8a9bd9428391c51583.jpg

264c81ab1584a8ec7ccda9dd457eee8c.jpg

93d7bfef181c76acb58bf4629d96349c.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
I also replaced the fuel cap since the original was extremely tight to remove. The new cap did not fix that problem.
7da6773e7f0bc80b3d5b51461611b218.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
Tonight I started on the new Xuji steering wheel leather. Spent about an hour on it and probably have another hour to go. It is not perfect as it is for the Non wood Land Cruiser but it is 100 times better than the cracked and jagged wood.

I think there is now a LX470 cover available...
cb4564f28300147e761b88b81ad16b6c.jpg

6385938c87e54b43ae05fb9632b6c4b3.jpg

e1c5631ef3fe31df157dc74dee0a453b.jpg

d2cd5cb6266720d3aac09563940d9f40.jpg

ef62c92b1dfe9ce6cddeaef09dfd4bab.jpg

351b6dff1fefc90cc95943f2e92f7615.jpg

tennesseewj

Observer
New door speakers are money well spent in Cruisers.

It's amazing how much nicer the drive is with some good tunes!

Sewing the wheel in place, eh? Brave soul!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bretthn

Explorer
New door speakers are money well spent in Cruisers.

It's amazing how much nicer the drive is with some good tunes!

Sewing the wheel in place, eh? Brave soul!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don’t think it is bad sewing it in place. If anything as tight as I have been pulling the threads it may be more difficult if it was not mounted.

Agree about the speakers but still need a new headunit and sub. As much as I hate the thought of a non OEM radio ruining the factory look of the dash... Guess I’m getting old because there were many years where my car audio systems were worth much more than the cars they were installed in.

Bretthn

Explorer
Finished up the steering wheel tonight. It’s not perfect as this cover was intended for a Land Cruiser and the diameter is different on the Lexus wheel. Still worth it and a huge improvement over factory with the cracked wood lacquer. I will see how this wears through the summer and may request the manufacturer make one specific for the Lx470 wheel.
beabbcbc6a22d362b81223b45d5cc023.jpg

437296f843b5500c58f787af470c4288.jpg

b49262b3f2837a8ce39b890fa0448670.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles