100 Series Family Adventure Rig

Bretthn

Explorer
What about a magnet mount, as opposed to a hard mount?
I thought about a magnet mount initially but think a rigid permanent mount will fit my needs better. I might add a quick disconnect though.

Thanks, I have looked at this one too but am hesitant because I am not sure there is adequate room to run the coax out the side of the hood without damaging it after a few times of opening or closing the hood.

Bretthn

Explorer
Uwharrie

I made my second trip to Uwharrie today. The first time I went I was on stock tires and I must say that the new ones made a huge difference. I went with Boo471, another Lexus owner. Unfortunately I got more good pictures of his truck than I did my own since I was driving it. Hopefully he will post up the pictures he took.

My little dog spike was my copilot for the day.

Boo471's GX.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $133.97
Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $24.65
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99

brevity_thing

you know, the Dude abides
These things look so much better in person! My new 285/75R16 Cooper ST/MAXX were sitting at my door when I got home tonight. I can't wait to get them mounted.

Always thought those would look hawt on a Hundy! Wouldn't hurt my feelings if you put up more pics :)

Bretthn

Explorer
What trails did you do at Uwharrie?
I have a terrible memory for names and Marten was lead that day so I didn't even look at a trail map. I believe we did Falls Dam, Dutch John, Slab Pile, and Marten did all of Dickey Bell. I skipped the climb on Dickey Bell since I am not sporting sliders or beefed up skids yet.

Bretthn

Explorer
Scangauge II for the LX470

I have been pretty disappointed that the LX only came with the basic trip A and trip B trip computer. I finally broke down and bought a Scangauge II. This thing is pretty handy but a little spendy for what you get. I just have it mounted with some hook and loop for now and will probably get a blendmount to go on the rearview mirror eventually.

What 4 parameters is everyone monitoring on theirs? I have mine set to show corrected MPH since my gauge is off with the bigger tires, MPG, and average MPG. I have it showing voltage too since I am undecided on what else to watch and just installed it today.

Bretthn

Explorer
Wiring

So I have a lot of goodies in the mail at the moment. The one I am most looking forward to is a sealed all in one relay and fuse box that should look nice and clean in the engine bay.
Once I can figure out the ground switching relay wiring (I think I got it). I intend to:
  • rear work light on a spdt switch with on with reverse lights, constant on, and off
  • all forward facing offroad lights relayed to only be switched on with high beams
  • rock/puddle lights relayed off of leftover wiring from facory step lights, on a spdt switch with on when any door opens, constant on, and off

Rock/puddle lights are on order. I need to decide what switches I will be using, where they are going, and get them ordered.
I have not ordered any other lights yet.

Hopefully everthing delivers for me to finish installing my 3 foot Wilson antenna for my cb tonight. Pictures to come.

Bretthn

Explorer
Antenna mounted

I got my cb antenna mounted. Just need to finish running the coax now. I will try to finish it up Wednesday and get some daytime pictures of the antenna.
I went with a Firestik adjustable stainless steel hood mount, Firestik heavy duty spring, and Wilson 4 foot silver load fiberglass antenna. I hope this improves the signal of my Midland 75-822. Anyone in my area have a SWR meter and want to help me tune this thing? Will it make much difference? Here are some night shots for now.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $133.97
Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $21.83
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.96

Bretthn

Explorer
Here are some better pictures of the antenna in daylight. Still not wired up but it faired well on the commute back and forth from work today.