100 Series Family Adventure Rig

60Dan

Explorer
Taking a leaf out of your book and we are headed to Lake James State park, up the NC105 to Linville Falls next week for 5 days!

Thanks for the inspiring photos!

Bretthn

Explorer
I am about to drop some coin on tires tomorrow. I have been going back and forth between the BFG All Terrains and the Cooper ST/Maxx since I bought the LX.
Whichever flavor, it will be a 285/75r16. I put many miles on BFGs on other vehicles and loved them for their quiet, smooth ride, and long tread life. I disliked them in mud and wet North Carolina clay.
I have never run the Cooper ST/Maxx but have read a lot of good reviews. I have however been unable to find a review from anyone that has completely worn a set out and can give the milelage they go out of them. They are also 5lbs heavier per tire in this size. 20 pounds of unsprung weight is pretty significant. Since the LX is a pig on gas anyway I am still leaning towards the Coopers.
Please let me know what you think.

Bretthn

Explorer
Maintenance Day

Today I got to know the LX a little better. Mileage is now at 165,202 and I was due for my first oil change.
This is one of the cleanest oil changes I have ever done on a vehicle. There are no obstructions in the way to make the oil go everywhere when draining or removing the oil filter. What got done today:
  • New OEM Toyota filter and oil drain plug washer
  • Mobil 1 5w30
  • Flushed AHC fluid using 1 2/3 cans of Toyota AHC fluid. Graduations before flush: High-5, Neutral-8, Low-10. Graduations after flush: High-10, Neutral-14, Low-17.
  • Greased driveshafts
  • Topped off the charge on the second battery with new CTEK multi us 25000 charger. I have a short commute to work and the fridge is always running so it doesn't always get a good charge from the short drives.
  • Cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF).
  • Cleaned throttle body.
  • Washed and applied a coat of wax. I'll be putting on a new RTT soon and figured it would be a good idea to have a coat of wax to protect the roof since it will not be able to be washed easily with the RTT installed.
  • Vacuumed the interior and applied some 303 aerospace protectant to the hard parts.

I wanted to finish up the fridge slide today but did not get to it.
I should have five new tires sitting at my doorstep when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon. Cooper ST/Maxx 285/75R17. Hopefully I can find time to get them installed this week.

Bretthn

Explorer
New Tires

These things look so much better in person! My new 285/75R16 Cooper ST/MAXX were sitting at my door when I got home tonight. I can't wait to get them mounted.

Bretthn

Explorer
5ugumupy.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
New Tires are mounted

I just got home from having the new tires mounted. Only a few miles but they rode smooth. I cant wait to see how they perform off pavement.
So here they are. 285 75r16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx on stock suspension with AHC set to high, neutral, and low.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Great looking tires... with AHC at high that looks to be the perfect stance for a hundy/470. I bet you've got either a new dresser/ hutch from Ikea or a new RTT.

Bretthn

Explorer
I am really liking the tires. They ride great and I barely hear a hum. The box is a new RTT. I installed it myself last night in about an hour but it started to rain so I didn't get any good pictures. I will post some better ones later today after completely setting it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online