100 roof rack builds??

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
^^ that one looks good, but again, I'm on the cheap this go around. And I want to see if I can do it.
Thoughts on wind noise; every rack is going to make some right? So I'm thinking that if I fab up a wedge shaped plate on the leading edge, that "should" reduce air flow over the holes in the platform. And if it's level to the ground, wouldn't that also reduce the chance of whistling? Air had to go at an acute angle relative to the opening to create vibration i.e. noise, right?

Box Rocket

I'm not trying to deter anyone from building their own but just showing an option that out there and pointing out some considerations to think about. If you feel you can build what you want and more importantly do it for less, then by all means I support that. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
With wind noise, I'm not exaggerating when I say I hear ZERO wind noise from my Prinsu rack. I'm sure there probably is minimal noise but it is imperceptible under the noise from the engine/tires even with the windows down.

r3run33

Adventurer
I am watching for his release; yes his design is good cause things cn be added on and off for more items; so I would be able to take lots off for winter. No release yet hey are you gonna be at the EXPO East??? would love to see your 80 in person oh and see some of those tents also :)

Biggunns

I've built two out of the aluminum atv ramps from harbor freight. The FJ60 almost never gets above 65 mph and when it does you're not able to hear any whistling over all the other noises a 60 makes at that speed. I used 1.5"x.75 rectangular tubing underneath it and it's rock solid.
0e4fcb8ec5c71679aef93ecd96b7a4c6.jpg

2ee8ca47cb3991448ea03d5cc86ad446.jpg

57f18f87ae6edae6772d8b2376184b52.jpg

It would be pretty awesome to add sheet aluminum punched with lightening holes in between each rung.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
That's pretty cool! Although, if I walk into harbor freight, I'll light on fire.

What's the max load you've had on it?
Did you weld it, rivet, or bolt it together?

r3run33

Adventurer
That's very nice. Hey that would work for me also on that taking the entire rack off for winter and just putting it up for trips. Easy snow removal :)

Biggunns

The atv rack is riveted together, I riveted a piece of angle aluminum to the front and back then bolted the rack to the steel crossbars.
The ramp is rated for 1500 lbs. I've jumped up down on it and there was zero deflection. I'm sure the rack on the cruiser could handle way more than would be safe to carry that high up. I think the trailer box is the limiting factor and not the rack.

As a whole I have less than $400 into both racks.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paranoid56

Adventurer
Just so you guys are aware, Prinsu Design is working on a new rack that should work for both the 100/200 series Cruisers. I have one of their 80 series racks and LOVE IT. All aluminum and super light but incredibly strong. I am personally not a fan of the basket style racks and prefer lower profile platform racks so this is the right style for me. I also think these are the best looking rack out there but that's personal preference. The crossbars can be moved/removed as your needs dictate and the crossbars are slotted on all sides for tie downs. I have ZERO wind noise with this rack too. Last I heard, the 200 series rack should be ready in a few weeks (and will likely work on the 100 series also).

The website for Prinsu Design is here:
http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/

this looks super nice, looks like alu sides and black 80/20 cross bars. how much was this?

r3run33

Adventurer
that one is for an 80 series I believe the guy is working on a 100 series one but don't think its ready yet

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I like that prinsu, but I didn't see any info on their site about a 100 series rack yet.

I'm thinking of making three- four cross bars, with a C channel on the passenger side for mounting the awning. My thought right now is to make up a frame work that bolts or gets welded to the bars, and then welding the perf sheet to that. My thought is to have a totally flat topped rack. Not sure if I should run it all the way to the windshield or not, cause I'm overly fond of my sunroof. If I add a light bar, I really don't want it shining down into the cab through the the sunroof, but maybe that's a non-issue.

fjrohrs

Adventurer
Any updates on the Prinsu rack for the 100 or if the 200 series rack will also work? We have a RTT coming and need to figure out a low profile/strong solution short of buying a trailer. Thanks!

drewactual

Adventurer
check out diamondrax.com... they make a good product and seem to want to cater to the LC market.. low profile, platform, full basket, angled basket, whatever... I have one on my full size Ford, and can attest to the quality.
rackandsolar.jpg
mine.jpg

I did the wood myself... they'll do whatever configuration you want, though.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Hey all,
Looking at building my own roof rack for my hundy, since I can't see dropping a grand on one. I have a vague plan, but would like to get some ideas and input from those those here that have made their own rack. Pros, cons, likes, dislikes. Things you learned as you went along. And pictures if you got 'em!!
I'd like to make mine out of a 4x8' sheet of 3/16" aluminum that is punched with ½" holes, since I have it left over from another project. I plan to add a third cross member at a minimum, maybe more, as well as edge bracing, and a front wind deflector/light bar mount. Long term plan is to have an eerie-awn awning, and a tent on it, and maybe some other stuff like shovel and axe.
Anyway, help a non-fabricator out with some ideas and pictures!
Thanks!

If you shear that mega sheet and make 10-12" "planks" with the long edges folded down like [______] (but flip this upside down, think aluminum sand ladder).

1R7O0337%20copy.jpg

This would strengthen the design up considerably, however, with that design, you won't need 3/16" thick, you'll just be adding weight.

If I were you, I'd toss that 3/16" aluminum under the truck as skid plates. Then look at lightweight fab for the rack. I am however, all for custom made stuff and have a few ideas that I'd like to try someday so I say go for it! For the $$$ (and time) it's hard to beat GAMIVITI or Baja for the money. GAMIVITI will also take your design and make it come to life within their product line specs. Grab handles are a common theme on their designs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior