$100 - 1980 KE100 - Quest for Fire

ihatemybike

Explorer
Made a $100 impulse purchase today.

KE100_1980.jpg

1980 Kawasaki KE100 (2 stroke), 3600 miles, original owner.
Parked 10 years ago, last started 2 years ago.

Figure I need to clean the carb, replace the spark plug and drain and fill the fluids to get it running. Once it's running it needs new tires, handlebars and turn indicators.

Looking forward to riding this thing to work, doing some random exploring around home, playing at the local off-road parks and using it as a dingy with Grumpy.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Did that model have the hi / lo range box like the '70s models did?

Looks like a great project to keep you off the streets at night anyway.

John.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Hi / Lo range? Not sure what you mean.

It's has a five speed gear box. Kick start only, but my right knee was saying push start today.

You found one heck of a deal, looks to be in pretty good condition. Once cleaned and new fuel added it should start pretty easy, I look forward to more pics.

Bobfab

Observer
Funny you should post that! I saw this on CL and against my better judgement held off from buying it! (I am in Schaumburg despite what my location above states)

Good luck getting her back on the road, looked like a great project! I have rebuilt a 76 Yamaha Dt125, and while the rebuilds on these old bikes can be frustrating, they are surprisingly stout and are generally just plagued with clogged carbs or fouled plugs!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Pulled the gas tank off today and removed the fuel cock. The fuel cock was completely filled with rust/dirt. It cleaned up okay, will get new seals and screen for it. Should there have been a seal between the tank and the fuel cock? I think I see residue of one.

CPWhammy

Kc 100

Hey Man,

I have a very similar KC100,

It has been sitting for about a year and has no spark, i have read elsewhere that the problem can be to do with moisture in the generator, which is under the lefthand (circular) sidepanel.

havent managed to get mine sparking yet but another guy who had the same problem just got out the moisture and sprayed a whole lotta wd40 in there and let it dry for a couple of days and then away she went!

There are points in side that side panel that can be cleaned/replaced also.

Sprayed some wd on mine today so fingers crossed for some golden 2stroke nang naaang naaanaaaaaang!

I am no proffesional by the way so dont take my advice as gospel but thought it might be of help to you.

Cheers,
Chris.

ihatemybike

Explorer
"The Search for Spark" title this thread had was me being geeky. The bike actually has good spark.

It appears that the main reason the bike doesn't start is due to rust from the gas tank clogging up the fuel supply. I currently have the carb apart, hopefully I can put it back together tonight and get it started this weekend.

whatcharterboat

Hi / Lo range? Not sure what you mean.

It's has a five speed gear box. Kick start only, but my right knee was saying push start today.

In Oz (not sure about North America), we got a Kawasaki 100 "Trail Boss" that had a 5 speed gearbox with a Hi/Lo ratio split.....just like a 4wd car.......so you effectectively had a 10 speed. This was very early 70's. They were a great thing......I think they were the predecesor to the Agi model.

kawasaki100_g4tr1971.jpg

1970TRAILBOSS100%20G4TRa.jpg

Oh also if your "kick start only" says "push start today" we have another option.......
13169.jpg

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Well isn't that something. Can't say that I've seen a motorcycle with a hi-lo split, but it certainly sounds cool. Does the bike have the ability to switch between hi and lo while in motion?

The kick vs push start really has to due with my body and not the bike. My right knee bent out sideways in 1998, almost ripping the ACL in two. It was repaired, but it's been catching/popping lately. Trying to kick start the bike was making my knee hurt, but I could still run without pain so I switched to trying to push start it.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Does the bike have the ability to switch between hi and lo while in motion?

Nah don't think so (but hey...it was 40 years ago!!!) ....more like a Rokon Trailbreaker. Set'n'forget.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Guess I've been away from bikes longer than I thought. Everything's been cleaned and reassembled, but all I get is the occasional sputter. Spark is good. Anybody have suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles