100,000 miles

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Looking forward to your report here.

Here's hoping! They have a noticeably different sound. A little louder but not bad. They seemed to perform well in the rain this morning

The original ST was a 2 ply tire with a very durable side wall.

All those made me think Cooper, or subsidiary, maybe a RIP off copy. I may never know, but I'll know if these are worth the $146 per tire soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Forsie

Observer
Hey I noticed that you are running Wild Trail Ctx tires. I have been considering a set and was hoping you might have some input since you have had them on for a while now. Cheers!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Hey I noticed that you are running Wild Trail Ctx tires. I have been considering a set and was hoping you might have some input since you have had them on for a while now. Cheers!
Im not going to recommend these tires.

My initial 5000 mile review:

They are due for their first rotation and seem to be wearing well and evenly.

They are comfortable on and off road. The sidewalls flex nicely and give a softer ride than the ST Maxx's.

My gas mileage has improved slightly, mostly (I believe) due to their lighter weight than the E rated STMaxx

Sounds all good so far right? Well, they do have one significant downfall. Traction. Or rather, lack the of.
Dry roads, wet roads it doesn't matter.

On dry roads if I get heavy footed I can absolutely roast these ala 60s muscle car style burnouts.

On wet roads they are downright squirrelly. They break loose easily with anything but light throttle action. At 45 miles an hour it'll break both tires loose and get sideways. On wet twisty roads ive got to slow down quite a bit over what I drove with the ST Maxx

"Off" road ie, forest roads, dry gravel road traction is ok. Not as good as I'd like but ok. Rocky sections wet or dry are work, as their traction is just not as good as it should be. Granted I didn't air down for what I was driving in as it just wasn't that serious, so it might improve down at 15 psi. If I ever do that I'll let y'all know.

I've been intentionally pushing these tires (as I do with all tires new to me) to see what their limits are.

I haven't done mud or snow yet, so I'll let you know. Im seriously already thinking about siping the hell out of them to try to improve them.

These rank right down at the bottom of my list. The only tire I've had on this truck with worse traction was the BFG Rugged Trails that came on the truck.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I neglected to rotate these tires at 5000 miles. Mostly because I wasn't due for an oil change and I try to do these maintenance things away the same time, convenience matters.

Today was that day. 7500 miles in. They've all worn evenly and flat. My tire gage reads 16/32" on each tire. That's wear of 2/32" in 7500 miles which is indicative of a pretty dam good tire life. Potentially a 50,000 miler.

I've got one problem though. One tire developed a slow leak a couple weeks ago. I'd air it up once every 5 days or so. Today with the tire off the truck I was able to roll it around and spray it with soapy water.

I found a nail in it. Not in the tread. Not in the sidewall. Right where the two meet. I plugged it and it doesn't leak now but where it's at concerns me. If it was fully inside the tread line I wouldn't worry. It's just over the edge though, so I'm thinking i need top replace this one.

a10dd79b3d65fd31a46bd833fb15210c.jpg

1e7ce6cc846cc8b1bf8347700b12ddde.jpg

a612939707d8b60daaa28d7f3f2f811a.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Excellent, slow wear!
Sidewall puncture sucks...had a tread puncture recently while traveling and also plugged it myself.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Just saw these tires and found this thread. Three year old thread now, but good info! Thanks Jim for an honest review!

I did see that Eldorado tires were supposed to be made by Cooper, but evidently these were labeled Taiwan... I don' t think Cooper makes any light truck tires outside the US, so evidently they're not made by Cooper... Seems even more evident given the poor traction. If they used the same compound that Cooper makes all their tires (And Mastercraft, DC, MT, etc) with, you should have had similar traction to the Maxx's you replaced. I'm guessing low tech China/Taiwan rubber. Bummer, since the price is still really good. :(

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
We made a huge decision. With our new lifestyle of work camping, living on the road around the country and finding jobs and fun where we can we decided to sell the Tundra. Having one truck in storage, paying insurance and taxes didn't make sense to us. The CrowsTow aka Queen Elizabeth's Revenge is in the hands of a new owner. We managed to drive over 300,000 virtually trouble free miles in this truck and we have such great memories from those years. Tears were shed as the old truck drove away into the night, I can't imagine having a better more reliable vehicle, the Tacoma we daily has some mighty big shoes to fill.

335a061e8fe691ea97d867653fc16e87.jpg

774a3cbdac11e379c7e06e5d63d98b23.jpg

25e3ccce4520e7c8707e52b64a4cd1f3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles