100,000 miles

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Well, we're now at 262,000 miles and rolling right along. We have replaced the radiator ($105) because the original decided it wanted to leak from the top tank and spray antifreeze all over the engine.

And I've replaced the headlights. Not absolutely necessary but after years of spending time and money to polish the old lights it's nice to see again.
a8668acfe2919e749ac160408f4aeb87.jpg
0f6aeb54c8a9db2babb32447079cb21b.jpg
bf9e46ccac55049738963b44949e003c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What lights did you go with? Some off of amazon or eBay? How do you like them compared to the original one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
What lights did you go with? Some off of amazon or eBay? How do you like them compared to the original one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're just cheap amazon replacements. 50 bucks for the pair with bulbs in them! Haven't used them at night yet so idk how they compare.

Sent from my RCT6973W43 using Tapatalk

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Any updates on the truck Jim?
What mileage are you at?
Yes!
The el cheapo Amazon lights work great!

My steering rack decided to blow a home in itself. So I replaced it with another amazon cheap find. Detroit Axle rack with inner tie rods for $224 +free shipping.
Worst part of that job was removing the rusted coupler that mated the rack to the steering shaft - that one part took as long to remove as it took to r&r the rest of it.

The steering is great now! I did my own toe alignment in the garage and the truck drives arrow straight and the steering response is like new.

The truck is at 271,500 miles....

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Did you buy a new Tacoma? Or was that someone else?
Are you still wheeling the Tundra?
I bought a new Tacoma Baja in 2014. It's slowly being built into the trailer towing camping ride. The tundra is still my daily driver and has become the weekend kayak hauler, as well as hauling anything else we need(mulch, freezers, catfish, etc). It gets out to the woods less often but it's still getting lots of use.

One last thing, I have managed to install some 12v outlets for the kids electronic devices. There were none in the back seat area, so we've alway had to reserve one of the three dash outlets for the kids stuff.

I wired two outlets under the edge of the seat. They're out of the way, but still quite useable.

4481989805_7d2e2829c3.jpg
I am curious if you still recall how you did this? :) Would be a nice addition to my DC for the kiddos. Thanks!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
One last thing, I have managed to install some 12v outlets for the kids electronic devices. There were none in the back seat area, so we've alway had to reserve one of the three dash outlets for the kids stuff.

I wired two outlets under the edge of the seat. They're out of the way, but still quite useable.

4481989805_7d2e2829c3.jpg
I am curious if you still recall how you did this? :) Would be a nice addition to my DC for the kiddos. Thanks!

Not sure what you need. I bought two of those outlets (one for each side of the truck) from Wal-Mart in their automotive section. They are screwed into the metal wall that makes the factory under seat storage.

The wiring passes through a factory hole in the storage box. The ground wires are grounded to the floor pan, and the power wires are mated to one wire going through a factory drain plug, along the frame rail and up to the blue sea fuse box that is mounted under the hood.

Simpler than I though! :) Thanks! Although adding a fuse box under my hood so may take some research.... :)

Last edited:

collkid

Just finished reading everything.

This is one of the coolest builds I've ever seen. Mostly because it follows your car that you use and abuse for 10+ years.

That's how you know the difference between a high quality car, and one that just LOOKS high quality.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Well after a solid 60,000+ miles the second set of ST Maxx treads are down to 6/32" left. That's 4800 miles per 1/32". They wore flat and even and I really wanted a third set......

I replaced them today with a set of Eldorado Wild Trail CTX tires. The same 285/75/16 size.

Why the switch? Mostly it's a Money thing. The WTs are a solid 100 dollars cheaper per tire than the Maxx's. Cheap enough to make me want to try them out.

They are a 2 ply sidewall, compared to the 3 ply of the Maxx. The old tundra just doesn't see the off road as much as it used to, its mostly paved and gravel roads so I don't think I'll need the super tough sidewall.

They're also made in Thailand which makes me a little nervous, but hey you never know until you try.

Tracing parent/subsidiaries can be tough, the Eldorado name is owned by TBC. The tires were labeled by TBC. Some Eldorado tires are produced by Cooper for TBC, so I can only wonder if these are produced by one of Coopers overseas subsidiaries

They've got a nice looking sidewall, and they are load range E.
d96be7828140f4a270ebcb3fed7189cb.jpg

With 18/32 of tread they should be good to go for a few miles
4c4bd4fce579eab63675d1ebd4e50417.jpg

The tread is reminiscent of the ST Maxx. They have a higher pitched whine at 60mph though.
12fab91e29d090269012cdc841265ef2.jpg

Today's mileage 283620....

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well after a solid 60,000+ miles the second set of ST Maxx treads are down to 6/32" left. That's 4800 miles per 1/32". They wore flat and even and I really wanted a third set......

That is fantastic wear/longevity, and still 6/32" remaining, love it!

What size were the last set...285 or 255?

I replaced them today with a set of Eldorado Wild Trail CTX tires. The same 285/75/16 size.

Why the switch? Mostly it's a Money thing. The WTs are a solid 100 dollars cheaper per tire than the Maxx's. Cheap enough to make me want to try them out.

$100 per tire is a big difference, don't blame you, and sometimes it's nice to try something else, hope they perform and last well.

They are a 2 ply sidewall, compared to the 3 ply of the Maxx. The old tundra just doesn't see the off road as much as it used to, its mostly paved and gravel roads so I don't think I'll need the super tough sidewall.

They're also made in Thailand which makes me a little nervous, but hey you never know until you try.

Tracing parent/subsidiaries can be tough, the Eldorado name is owned by TBC. The tires were labeled by TBC. Some Eldorado tires are produced by Cooper for TBC, so I can only wonder if these are produced by one of Coopers overseas subsidiaries

They've got a nice looking sidewall, and they are load range E.

With 18/32 of tread they should be good to go for a few miles

The tread is reminiscent of the ST Maxx. They have a higher pitched whine at 60mph though.

As you know, there are many good 2-ply sidewall tires, probably will be fine.

A few things make me think those might be made by Cooper (or a Cooper copy):

CTX name
tread design
tread depth

Cheers,

James

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
That is fantastic wear/longevity, and still 6/32" remaining, love it!

What size were the last set...285 or 255?

Redline said:
$100 per tire is a big difference, don't blame you, and sometimes it's nice to try something else, hope they perform and last well.
Here's hoping! They have a noticeably different sound. A little louder but not bad. They seemed to perform well in the rain this morning

Redline said:
As you know, there are many good 2-ply sidewall tires, probably will be fine.

A few things make me think those might be made by Cooper (or a Cooper copy):

CTX name
tread design
tread depth

Cheers,

James

The original ST was a 2 ply tire with a very durable side wall.

All those made me think Cooper, or subsidiary, maybe a RIP off copy. I may never know, but I'll know if these are worth the $146 per tire soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles