100,000 miles

RoundOut

Explorer
Very nice, Jim. Now get some marks on them.

:sombrero:

You should see mine. They work very well. Heck, if I ever have to remove the rear one for anything, its a pain to get back on. It sure saved the parts it protects, though. Those Skid Row plates are sturdy as all get out.

jim65wagon

Well, I was going to show our awesome patio video from the day we finished it. We hauled 2300 lbs (yes, 1.15 Tons as billed on the invoice) of grey pea gravel from just north of DC, to the house (just south of DC). I topped out at about 40 mph, taking it as easy as possible and I do not recommend the trip to anyone....admittedly foolish, but when all the pea gravel locally is orange you do what you have to. If you can you might be able to watch this here if the link works. We were within an hour of finishing the patio when a storm blew up and we had to take a respite in the house....

BTW, can anyone tell me how to embed a flickr video into this?

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That happened this weekend? WOW! It was much dryer (and fun) to go wheeling and camping in Winchester (Big Dogs ORP) with the FJ Bruisers.

But the yard does look nice Jim, albeit a bit soggy...

jim65wagon

No, that was a few weekends back....I've been lazy and never got a roundtoit but thought last night while I was cooking supper it was neat enough to post.....sorry for the confusion

jim65wagon

Goal? 200,000? 250,000? 300,000? I don't know what the mileage potential is, but I'd like to find out. I tend to keep vehicles as long as the don't harsh my mellow. If it's fairly easy to work on, I can do all the mechanicals as they wear out, so potentially I could keep it until it rots away to dust.....however, we just ditched my wifes Impala (148,xxx miles) because it developed some extremely discomforting electrical demons that I absolutely could not trace.

01Tundra said:
Dang....you're 53,000 miles ahead of me :D!!!!!
Yeah and you've had to put a lot more work in yours to get there! Something like 75,000 just to keep driving a truck! You should buy a new one at that rate and give your old one to a friend who cares!:sombrero:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good, keep driving that thing!

I would like to know someone with 250,000+ miles on their 4.7L with it still running strong. As the (s)miles accumulate on the Distance Runner, I'm more concerned about the rest of the chassis holding up than the engine (after 200K).

Goal? 200,000? 250,000? 300,000? I don't know what the mileage potential is, but I'd like to find out. I tend to keep vehicles as long as the don't harsh my mellow. If it's fairly easy to work on, I can do all the mechanicals as they wear out, so potentially I could keep it until it rots away to dust.....however, we just ditched my wifes Impala (148,xxx miles) because it developed some extremely discomforting electrical demons that I absolutely could not trace. snip..........

jim65wagon

I think the chassis will be just fine....I'm guessing (at least with the winters in the East, and the visits to the beach) that the body will begin to rot before anything else wants to quit.
Good, keep driving that thing!

I would like to know someone with 250,000+ miles on their 4.7L with it still running strong. As the (s)miles accumulate on the Distance Runner, I'm more concerned about the rest of the chassis holding up than the engine (after 200K).

WASURF63

Adventurer
Goal? 200,000? 250,000? 300,000? I don't know what the mileage potential is, but I'd like to find out. I tend to keep vehicles as long as the don't harsh my mellow. If it's fairly easy to work on, I can do all the mechanicals as they wear out, so potentially I could keep it until it rots away to dust.....however, we just ditched my wifes Impala (148,xxx miles) because it developed some extremely discomforting electrical demons that I absolutely could not trace.

Drive her until you've both had enough of each other.
My 2000 Tundra (pictured below) had around 180k at the time of that picture and almost 200k when I finally traded it in '08 for a new Tacoma DC.
I was pretty attached to that rig and it was still in great overall condition when I let her go. With my daughter getting older we felt we needed a true
4-door.
It proved to be a bittersweet, but good choice in the end.:costumed-smiley-007

WS63

Attachments

• MM100_0733.JPG
    MM100_0733.JPG
    635 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I think the chassis will be just fine....I'm guessing (at least with the winters in the East, and the visits to the beach) that the body will begin to rot before anything else wants to quit.

As nice as shape as your Tundra is and as meticulous as you keep it up I think it's got some life in the body panels for awhile. Moving out of the rust and salt belt here in NW PA and into VA was probably the best thing for the Tundra's sheetmetal. I don't think yours will suffer the fate of my old faithful Dodge and succumb to the rot way before the drivetain was ready to give up the ghost.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Question on the transmission skid, I definitely want to do something to protect it, but it seems like the Skidrow plate is skinnier than it should/could be. Any insight?

RoundOut

Explorer
Question on the transmission skid, I definitely want to do something to protect it, but it seems like the Skidrow plate is skinnier than it should/could be. Any insight?

Can it get bent? ABSOLUTELY. :sombrero: I have all three Skidrow plates and they are all bent a little, actually, the third one is bent pretty well :Wow1:. Most of the damage is from aggressive wheeling at Katemcy Rocks in Mason, TX, but I have bumped them on the large rocks on two-tracks, Forest Service, or BLM lands before, too. BUT, I would not go wheeling without them. If you want them pristine, best not to go near big rocks or anywhere with aggressive break-over angles. They do their job well, but not without some permanent marks. The alternative is to wheel the same parts without them and risk having that damage on your underbody parts. NO THANKS! Of course, you can fab something else up, but that makes little sense to me, since these fit perfect and work great.

I do have a friend with a complete underbody skid plate that he custom made. I've only seen it up against the wall in his garage, though. I'm not sure, but he still may own all three Skidrow plates and this underbody skid starts behind them. I've never seen it mounted. It is heavy as heck, too. Check out DevinSixtySeven's Tundra build.

jim65wagon

Thanks Gary, I would agree, yes it can get bent, but it is still better than a hole in your pan. If you bend it too much you can always remove it and give it a good ********** with a sledgehammer to flatten it back out. I don't plan on using it to that extent, but it's there just in case....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke