100,000 miles

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Looks great Jim. Smart move in the sound deadening/insulation addition. I noted an improvement when I did it.

I also recommend doing the doors and rear panel... I was thinking about getting replacement speakers for my anemic, dull, OEM units. Instead I applied sound deadening to the doors and replaced the foam strip (crumbling to dust) with new weather stripping and the stock speakers sound amazing now.

Derek24

Explorer
Great work! Best thing I did to my truck was remove everything inside, clean, and sound deaden every inch. Looks good, I like the seats!

jnhenry

Great thread. Just read through all of it, and its great to see a truck with nearly 200k on it looking new. Maybe I need to think about a Tundra...

How's the sound insulation?

Jeff

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
The seats have a nice feel to them. They sit nice, and level. The brackets make them sit lower to the floor than the original seats though. It's not uncomfortable. snip...

That's that. A new interior at 195,500 miles. Hmmmm.......I wonder how long these will last?

Comfortable seating is one of my main requirements for ease of driving/ long-distance travel, as well as overall vehicle ownership pleasure.

Great interior refresh and clean up!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Looks great. Is the seat the one for Jeeps? I did a quick search. As you know I want to replace the Taco's setas

jim65wagon

Looks great. Is the seat the one for Jeeps? I did a quick search. As you know I want to replace the Taco's setas

Yes, its a direct bolt-in if you have the Jeep.....but they sell brackets for various other makes and models. I cruised through Corbeaus site while shopping, found the style and colors I wanted then searched for that seat until I found the cheapest way to get it.

The added insulation helped a bit, the stereo sounds louder and the road noise is down a bit. The rear panel under the back window got the full treatment. The doors and ceiling are a as yet future project.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks James, I was on the 4WheelParts site, that link answered all my questions. Now I just need to see your seats!

jim65wagon

The Tundra Refurbishment Project is still underway. Today was resolving an issue the truck had from day 1 of ownership and I had no idea of how to deal with it.

The first gen access cab Tundra comes with 1 sunglasses holder. It's between the sunvisors and holds 1 pair of sunglasses. I don't know whose sunglasses it would actually hold, because it is so shallow it bent every single pair of sunglasses I ever tried to keep in it - another good reason for spending 10 and not 100 dollars on sunglasses. As a matter of fact, the only glasses that ever fit have been my "hey old man, you need these to read a map" reading glasses. I needed something or someway to carry real sunglasses, and more than one pair at a time; there are 4 of us in the truck at times.

After a mere 10 years I finally figured it out.

Allow me ask a question.
Can an overhead console from a 2004 Sequoia fit a 2003 Tundra? Why, yes. Yes it can.
Is it an easy bolt-in operation? Why no. No it's not. Not easy at all.

After hours of fitting, refitting, making an extra bracket near the back, rewiring a 4 wire plug to a 3 wire plug, more refitting, cutting templates for filler panels, more refitting, cutting filler panels, more refitting, recutting filler panels, insulating the roof, and finally bolting it all up, only to discover the wiring I redid was done correctly on the first try (ie the lights come on when the door opens, automatically shut off, and come on when you flick the switch!). It's finished, all in one day. Whew!

I need to give a great big shout out to my wife Elizabeth without whom I'd still be struggling with the second or third fitment. She's awesome, talented, and beautiful!

Here you can see the original holder/light combination, along with the stick-on "console" I picked up from Grainger to hold 2 pair of sunglasses together.

And here is the after shot. 2004 Sequoia overhead console with multiple sunglasses and other miscellaneous storage. The black filler panels (which match the new interior nicely!) are black anodized aluminum leftover from our teardrop build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94