'10 Tundra CrewMax

ragnar

What kind of brackets did you use to mount the SS8 airbags? I wondered if I could modify (i.e. drill new holes with 2.75" spacing) the Firestone ride-rite brackets to work, or if they're simply too narrow to support an 8" diameter airbag. I would greatly prefer the 11+ inches of travel on the SS8's to the 5.5" of travel on the Firestones coupled with their lift extension or a daystar cradle. Thanks!

zidaro

Explorer
What kind of brackets did you use to mount the SS8 airbags? I wondered if I could modify (i.e. drill new holes with 2.75" spacing) the Firestone ride-rite brackets to work, or if they're simply too narrow to support an 8" diameter airbag. I would greatly prefer the 11+ inches of travel on the SS8's to the 5.5" of travel on the Firestones coupled with their lift extension or a daystar cradle. Thanks!

http://www.airbagit.com/2007-2010-TOYOTA-TUNDRA-Towing-Kits-p/towkit-toy4.htm

but i did not buy the whole kit, just the brackets. brackets are burly, been holding up great and still on the first set of bags.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Rig is looking awesome! I'd like to move up from the Taco to the Tundra at one point. When you went out with your buddy in his raptor, how'd they compare? I realize the raptors have a pretty decent factory suspension, but with your icons and uniball UCAs its gotta be getting pretty close yeah?

zidaro

Explorer
Rig is looking awesome! I'd like to move up from the Taco to the Tundra at one point. When you went out with your buddy in his raptor, how'd they compare? I realize the raptors have a pretty decent factory suspension, but with your icons and uniball UCAs its gotta be getting pretty close yeah?

The Raptor there is in no way stock. He has dumped an insane amount of $$ into that one. FULL suspension and driveline redo.
But he is the kind of guy that just bombs down the desert full throttle when possible and when it breaks he has it built bigger and better.

ME, i love to go fast but can't afford to extract, then repair my vehicle on a regular basis. So, i don't drive my truck like him and i certainly don't have that kind of $$ into my truck. I have put enough thought, time, and $$ into the Tundra to feel very confident in its durability and ability to take it off road in a mellow, smart way.
It can navigate basic desert and mountain degraded roads.
It'll bomb down fire roads, washboard, sand washes, etc.. and soak up small ruts and unexpected hits. It'll crawl up ravines and rocky sections with ease. Carry my slide-in camper anywhere i want to take it, haul my bikes, pull my trailers.
It is not a pre runner, trail rig, or desert race truck. I have a very built 87 runner to beat on that is much more capable for that :)

OEM raptors are no different. They may be better somewheres, but they have def. been shown to have weakness in many places too.
Basically, both are very capable for about the same cost.
If you want an off road machine you will be doing serious mods to both and your vehicle will no longer be the Toyota or Ford you bought. Custom is custom and assume you are dumping at least an addtl $50k to get a mild built true pre runner.

Love this thing, bit its my daily driver and travel toy. Not a race truck. As is everyones vehicles on here. We all just like camping off the hwy.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
The Raptor there is in no way stock. He has dumped an insane amount of $$ into that one. FULL suspension and driveline redo.
But he is the kind of guy that just bombs down the desert full throttle when possible and when it breaks he has it built bigger and better.

ME, i love to go fast but can't afford to extract, then repair my vehicle on a regular basis. So, i don't drive my truck like him and i certainly don't have that kind of $$ into my truck. I have put enough thought, time, and $$ into the Tundra to feel very confident in its durability and ability to take it off road in a mellow, smart way.
It can navigate basic desert and mountain degraded roads.
It'll bomb down fire roads, washboard, sand washes, etc.. and soak up small ruts and unexpected hits. It'll crawl up ravines and rocky sections with ease. Carry my slide-in camper anywhere i want to take it, haul my bikes, pull my trailers.
It is not a pre runner, trail rig, or desert race truck. I have a very built 87 runner to beat on that is much more capable for that :)

OEM raptors are no different. They may be better somewheres, but they have def. been shown to have weakness in many places too.
Basically, both are very capable for about the same cost.
If you want an off road machine you will be doing serious mods to both and your vehicle will no longer be the Toyota or Ford you bought. Custom is custom and assume you are dumping at least an addtl $50k to get a mild built true pre runner.

Love this thing, bit its my daily driver and travel toy. Not a race truck. As is everyones vehicles on here. We all just like camping off the hwy.

I know exactly what you mean about the expenses of building and repairing prerunners and desert trucks. Here is mine.....just a toy, and use the 4runner for the camping and wheeling adventures.

the reason why I asked was because I'm looking for something a little more mild. That is more dual purpose. That raptor didn't look stock, but wasn't sure if you had any experience wheeling with him while it was.
I feel like the raptor is a pretty good standard to compare other full size rigs with that are out of the box fairly capable. Similar to any other mid travel truck I suppose. I was curious basically as to how your set up or a mid travel tundra would compare to a stock raptor. In theory it seems they would be very comparable.

Your 87 is awesome BTW!!!

10262127_10204065422100026_6668702536232904394_n.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
My feeling is that the Raptor has an amazing amount of hype and marketing wrapped around it. It has nice add ons from the stock 150, its a very nice truck. But if you are going to use it as advertised, you are going to have to upgrade it anyway.
I have seen SOOOO many components on my Buds truck completely fail and he has upgraded each one along the way. Including breaking the frame. Granted, he is BEATING on it. But what he is doing is exactly as Ford marketed the trucks capabilities.
Dump $10K ano top of a new tundra in suspension/performance upgrades and you will have a better vehicle for less.

As far as my truck- if i had the $$ i would have put TC or Camburg LT on it from the get go. And a set of Deavers (with my airbags to carry the loads) on the rear. I think you would be able to hammer on the Tundra much harder with LT VS the mild mid-travel i have.

What i have, i think, is the basic suspension upgrades needed for any vehicle that is going to see mild/moderate off road use. It just makes the vehicle handle and feel leaps-n-bounds better than a stock ride. Not to mention better ground clearance and larger tire ability.
Traction control is mandatory too. I have not gone there yet with this Tundra, Ive been waiting to give my final judgement on 35" tires and stock 4.30 gearing. Didn't want to spend the dough on building an arb thirds and then do it over to regear shortly after. I think i have concluded that 4.88 thirds would be good, but is not necessary with 35"s. Haha, that means i still don't know what I'm going to do!!!!

BTW-- ^^^ absolutely sick truck!!! I am completely obsessed with the Taco DC's Think they are the best build platform ever for a modern vehicle wheeler (the 1st gen. runners being the best old school wheelers). Though i am also thinking a fully stripped 3rd gen V8 runner or Lexus GX V8 would be amazing too.

zidaro

Explorer

Yep! thats a sweet truck and they dumped some serious coin into it. But dang they are driving it like a Girl in that vid. I drive my Tundra that hard unless the whoops get unruly. LT would be more comfortable and then i would break something else in a moment of forgetfulness (when i forget this is my DD ;) )

But again, that is just bolton mods. you can only get so much out of OEM bracketry and geometry. When your cutting the bed for a cage 18" triples and more, and have a fully boxed custom front clip and a-arm fabbed up, then your making a go at it :bike_rider: $$$$$$$$

06rubi

I agree with you about raptor vs tundra. I have a mid travel '13 with custom tuned kings and I have 3-4 grand less into my truck than my buddies raptor that he bought used. That includes wheels and tires for me and I bought my truck new. We keep up with each other on the trails no problem. Properly tuned suspension is key for speed. Off the shelf king/fox/icon are pretty plush since people wont spend $2500 on a "stiff" suspension even though it works way better off road.

Awesome truck by the way! I'm going to start the "expo" phase of my truck this spring. I'm going with a rtt instead of a slide in camper since the trails are pretty tight here in Colorado. Those trails in SoCal sure do look fun! Someday I'll spend a week or two down there exploring after I finish my truck.

hol571

love what you've done to your tundra. How are the ATZ's holding up after the first year, looking at putting them on my tundra

zidaro

Explorer
loving them! they are a great tire in the dirt and rocks, don't seem to get any chunking spinning them thru the Death Valley desert terrain. Highway handling feels tight and they carry the camper and tow with our trailer well. tiny bit more road noise than the Duratracs put out, but they are more aggressive too. I already know they do great in the snow and ice from last season so am looking forward to traction again.
Now just have to see how the miles add up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94