'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Recent camping trip thru East side Baja! Quick but, as always, epic baja. soaked in remote hot springs, travelled along baja courses thru Laguna Salada for almost 100miles, ate insane fish tacos in Felipe, drove and camped along the beaches, tucked into remote hidden spots.
Cant wait to get south again. Lots of pics, heres a few.

IMG_5016_zpsjvga2uzf.jpg

IMG_5054_zpsctbklef4.jpg

DSC_2199_zpsajeb4zok.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Cruising Northern Death Valley, Spring '17

Eureka Dunes
DSC_2208_zpsnyla695c.jpg

Teakettle Jct.
DSC_2242_zpst5ssrmfy.jpg

Racetrack
DSC_2255_zpsuvftffcf.jpg

Camp above Lippincott Mine Saddle

IMG_5193_zpscwydcove.jpg

IMG_5190_zpswu4c0alm.jpg

Down Lippincott into Saline
DSC_2283_zpsbd5wgf7y.jpg

DSC_2291_zpsqbiqdcpg.jpg

DSC_2301_zpstxmessea.jpg

DSC_2314_zpsffehuo8x.jpg

DSC_2326_zpsgvb9kqak.jpg

Saline
DSC_2342_zpsx7obb9yw.jpg

DSC_2345_zpsob8jdljn.jpg

As always, DV provides!

zidaro

Explorer
Finally getting around to shaping a mounting plate for my Bussman RTMR fuse/relay boxl and circuit breakers/fuse holders. Fabbed outta some .12 alum. diamond plate i had sitting around Turned out good and has plenty of room to add mas electrical to later. ***** to cut out the bussman, ill tell ya that. Bussman is all wired with weatherpack plugs, ready to go. Still need to wire in the breakers and accessories. the good stuff ;)

8E01E97D-03B5-495F-8DC5-4DB979735505_zpssmuablji.jpg

VanDominator13

Observer
Finally getting around to shaping a mounting plate for my Bussman RTMR fuse/relay boxl and circuit breakers/fuse holders. Fabbed outta some .12 alum. diamond plate i had sitting around Turned out good and has plenty of room to add mas electrical to later. ***** to cut out the bussman, ill tell ya that. Bussman is all wired with weatherpack plugs, ready to go. Still need to wire in the breakers and accessories. the good stuff ;)

Have you checked out the Trigger Wireless accessory controller? Might work really well with the plate you just fabbed up. It has the fuses and relay's already built in and I think you can run up to 4 of them together. Plus no holes to drill through your firewall

Ok, I just finished reading this entire thread. My man you are a beast! Not only are the mods all top notch, the fact that you do it yourself is very impressive.
I currently have a 2011 4.6l 4x4 Tundra that I'm beginning to get some work done on so that we can take it up your way and out to the desert with a small tow trailer and RTT. I'll be starting my build thread this week hopefully.
How did the Auburn work out for you this winter? I'm debating whether to go with front and rear ARB lockers or do the same thing you've done. I'd like to eliminate as many variables for failure as possible and it seems like putting an LSD in the rear might be the answer.
And of course, awesome build!

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Have you checked out the Trigger Wireless accessory controller? Might work really well with the plate you just fabbed up. It has the fuses and relay's already built in and I think you can run up to 4 of them together. Plus no holes to drill through your firewall

Ok, I just finished reading this entire thread. My man you are a beast! Not only are the mods all top notch, the fact that you do it yourself is very impressive.
I currently have a 2011 4.6l 4x4 Tundra that I'm beginning to get some work done on so that we can take it up your way and out to the desert with a small tow trailer and RTT. I'll be starting my build thread this week hopefully.
How did the Auburn work out for you this winter? I'm debating whether to go with front and rear ARB lockers or do the same thing you've done. I'd like to eliminate as many variables for failure as possible and it seems like putting an LSD in the rear might be the answer.
And of course, awesome build!

Thankyou,
Its been quite a journey. Excited for you to be starting the same, sounds like you've got a great rig and plan moving forward.
I Love playing and working on Yotas, and this Tundra is def. my favorite. This thing is a beast, and a blast to travel in.
Getting ready to make some changes, I've learned some things these past few years about where i like to travel to and how my family and i like to do it. I have some things I've been wanting to add, and just never have had the time (my electrical upgrades, finishing my stereo, lighting, and a couple other things) and then i have been wanting very badly to do a serious makeover on my suspension. :wings: Very excited to get going on it!

The Auburn LS! AWESOME!!!! One of the best things I've added. Really makes a big difference in keeping the traction control in control, and the power to the ground. Never know its there, like it ought to be. Gear upgrade is pricy, but pay once, cry once. As the saying goes. You'll never regret it. The ARB is great in the front for getting out of the things you should not have gotten yourself into.

Edwardbikenski

Camper install question

Good Morning,
... found yer pics on Expedition Portal here.
How did you install yer pop up?

I see the mounts to the rear bumper, but how about the front?

installing pop up on my "new to me" 2013.
Camper was previously on my 2000 Tundra.
It had 4 hitch receivers welded to: frame (front) and hitch (rear).
But the new truck does not have any surfaces for welding.
I'm not real stoked on paying for Torklift mounts ~ $600 for front alone.

thanks
Ed

zidaro

Explorer
Good Morning,
... found yer pics on Expedition Portal here.
How did you install yer pop up?

I see the mounts to the rear bumper, but how about the front?

installing pop up on my "new to me" 2013.
Camper was previously on my 2000 Tundra.
It had 4 hitch receivers welded to: frame (front) and hitch (rear).
But the new truck does not have any surfaces for welding.
I'm not real stoked on paying for Torklift mounts ~ $600 for front alone.

thanks
Ed

Hey Ed,
I think i covered it with good pics in my northstar thread. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/43407-NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

But.. simple and was planning on temporary, but it has worked much better than i originally thought it would. I just strapped over the camper jack and between the cab/bed. Tiedown is a 2" HD superdelux model from HDepot. I hooked it to a frame hole originally, then welded on a tiedown hook to my slider arm. Has been working perfectly for years and i believe it adds a bit of "give" to the mount system making the camper less stressed off road.

zidaro

Explorer
Long travel coming soon?

You, my friend. Get the Chicken Dinner :)

OK! this is happening.
Its about time i Man up!!!! Tired of not being able to go thru the rough stuff without cringing.

Ive been playing awhile now with this thing and its finally time to step it up to where i knew i should go i the first place but tried to put it off as long as i could tolerate. I am going to keep it streetable. This is to say- there are some very sweet LT suspension kits in this Tundra market that would be AWESOME to run, but there is common consensus that these kits do not maintain a very street friendly drivability. All to do with the steering geometry and behavior on pavement. I almost went there, then common sense and practicality grabbed me and knocked me back to reality. So, what am i talking about? Real world truck use. I Daily Drive my rig. Uniball UCA joints maintain street drivability. More on this later, I'm sure there will be some opinions on this. >:D

As of Today..... My Tundra has a full ICON Stage 5 Midtravel setup. 2.5"with Remote Rezis all around. Front running 700# Eibach springs and Billet fully adjustable UCAs, which are awesome and Midtravel mandatory. I run a detected airbag setup in rear to carry the camper weight when its loaded.
Its got an ARB in front, 4.88 gears, a 48gal transfer flow tank, bud built sliders, Exp1 fr/Rr bumper, lotso other crap.
I wheel it plenty. Nothing crazy, but a lot. I live in the E. Sierras which has plenty of fire roads, washboard/whooped sand 2 track. Close to death valley with its assortment of nasty, and we tour Baja Backcountry whenever we get a chance. I drive in the dirt almost everyday, and our roads are covered with snow almost half the year.
Ive found the limitations of Midtravel numerous times. I just can't go fast enough without the rear bucking hard, the front actually has handled quite well but only cuz the rear sucks so bad once you get rough. It performs great on uneven terrain, over rocks, thru ruts, hillclimbs, etc.. This has everything to do with being able to travel faster over rough terrain in a more plush controllable manner. Mid travel is great for limited offroad, with amazing street characteristics. But i want more offroad.

So... here we go.

I just added front glass. Mandatory for the front. As is the body mount chop(already done), and an aftermarket front bumper or serious chopping.
Advanced Fiberglass Concepts , https://www.advfiberglass.com/collections/toyota/products/2007-2013-toyota-tundra-fenders, is the new owners of the Glassworks molds. Bought them off Tim, he built them quick and he installed them. Showed up to his shop with the fenders attached by 2 bolts for a simple swap, saved some dough. Glass fenders were cheaper than replacing/repairing the small blemishes in my OEM steel fenders. Paint will come later.

IMG_5561_zpstz1jpsrh.jpg

IMG_5565_zpsvlf2uryf.jpg

IMG_5567_zps5nxihpy0.jpg

While down in Offroad Haven (Orange Co. CA) I stopped by this place :) to pick up a goodie or 2.

IMG_5569_zpsb6hoqlrw.jpg

IMG_5570_zps16p1dxn1.jpg

Deaver I96XD SUA. Tim also hooked me up with the bushings and U-bolts. the XD stands for the extra #500 weight i requested built into the springs capacity. https://www.deaverspring.com/products/toyota-leaf-springs/tundra-2wd4wd-2007-2015
This spring runs a 9" eye to eye shackle, per Tim.

so much more to come. Hope i get what I'm looking for :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles