10 States in 7 days

pnorvell

Adventurer
Man does that look like an awesome trip! I want to do the same, but drive mainly off highway. Great pictures!

Peter

Rubicon51

Observer
Wow!! That looks like it was a trip you will never forget. I'm wanting to do the same, staying off highway and on the small dirt roads and trails just as you did. I'm in the southeast wanting to drive west, still looking for ideas on where to go and what route to take.

Great photos

Thanks
Matt

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Nice trip Tim, always good to see a Chevy out on the trails. You have given me some ideas for my next journey out there.

t0mills

Adventurer
If you could handle the Sheep Creek switchbacks.....Engineer Pass would have been easy ;)

That's good to know!! :victory:

Those switchbacks on the Sheep Creek pass were pretty intense. I think that the 1000'+ drop off right next to you really adds to the effect.

Next time I'm out that way, I'll put Engineer Pass on my list!

t0mills

Adventurer
Man does that look like an awesome trip! I want to do the same, but drive mainly off highway. Great pictures!

Peter

Thanks!

Wow!! That looks like it was a trip you will never forget. I'm wanting to do the same, staying off highway and on the small dirt roads and trails just as you did. I'm in the southeast wanting to drive west, still looking for ideas on where to go and what route to take.

Great photos

Thanks
Matt

My recommendation is to stay off of the interstate highways, which is what I tried to do. Even if you wind up traveling on paved roads, there are still a lot of sights to see.
Only exception to that was the drive home, because we needed to be back before Monday.
Oh, and PLAN PLAN PLAN!! I wish I would've planned more than I did, but now I know for next time!

Nice trip Tim, always good to see a Chevy out on the trails. You have given me some ideas for my next journey out there.

Thanks! I bet if I would've met another vehicle on any of the trails, I would've gotten some weird looks!

If you want to run the DS Road/Granite Creek/Sheep Creek trail, then I would advise you to bring some brush shears. I got a LOT of pin striping from that trail, but I don't mind it a bit. Give's it character... :ylsmoke:

Rubicon51

Observer
I sure would like to know the route you took. How did you research the trails and all of the backroads, i'm sure most of it was not on a map. If you could provide with the details of your route and some info on how, and where to research this stuff.

Thanks
Matt

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I sure would like to know the route you took. How did you research the trails and all of the backroads, i'm sure most of it was not on a map. If you could provide with the details of your route and some info on how, and where to research this stuff.

Thanks
Matt

Actually...all of the trails he drove on are on maps :sombrero:

08Silverado

Adventurer
Hey Tim,

Very nice trip! Glad to see your burb did great! I love to read about Chevy's holdin up and showing the nay sayers what's up! I drive a 08 Silverado 4wd crew cab. I will be heading to the Silverton area in September for my own version of a trip like yours! I noticed a few pictures that you took off of Hwy 550. In particular you took a picture of a lake that looks like Molas Lake. Can you let me know if you saw Molas Lake off of Hwy 550?

Thanks

SCTaco

Observer
Great trip report!

I love the pictures you took from IntrepidXJ's Sheep Creek 4×4 Route. I am planning my Santa Cruz, CA to Woodland Park CO trip through UT this week. Now I might need to alter my UT route!

Thanks,

Ross

harm

Great pics! We also just got back from a road trip that took us thru Colorado, we were in the same neighborhood. I think you would have been fine on Engineer Pass.

Scott39

Adventurer
Nice trip report. I just did Medano pass from the Royal Gorge area last weekend.
Thats where I got married last year, right next to the Royal Gorge Bridge.
So we went back there this year for our one year anniversary, and I talked her into a little expo trip while we were there.:sombrero:
I plan on doing a trip report soon.

Last edited:

Singbush

Observer
New favorite thread!!! Awesome write up and great photos. I was going to ask what kind of mileage the 'burb got with 35's and the 7.4L, but looks like it was about 10.5mpg...not bad all things considered. I hope to duplicate the trip some day, until then I'll keep staring at all the great pics.

Thanks,
Mike

t0mills

Adventurer
Nice trip report. I just did Medino pass from the Royal Gorge area last weekend.
Thats where I got married last year, right next to the Royal Gorge Bridge.
So we went back there this year for our one year anniversary, and I talked her into a little expo trip while we were there.:sombrero:
I plan on doing a trip report soon.

I saw your thread, great pics! Medino is a fun trail to run. Plenty of room for a fullsize. :smiley_drive:

New favorite thread!!! Awesome write up and great photos. I was going to ask what kind of mileage the 'burb got with 35's and the 7.4L, but looks like it was about 10.5mpg...not bad all things considered. I hope to duplicate the trip some day, until then I'll keep staring at all the great pics.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, 10.5mpg was my average. Not too bad considering I was grossing about 8500lbs.

I've got a little something up my sleeve though... Should put me around 20mpg average. I picked up a complete 1993 dodge truck with a cummins yesterday!! :victory:

Hey Tim,

Very nice trip! Glad to see your burb did great! I love to read about Chevy's holdin up and showing the nay sayers what's up! I drive a 08 Silverado 4wd crew cab. I will be heading to the Silverton area in September for my own version of a trip like yours! I noticed a few pictures that you took off of Hwy 550. In particular you took a picture of a lake that looks like Molas Lake. Can you let me know if you saw Molas Lake off of Hwy 550?

Thanks

No doubt about showing the nay sayers! A lot of my friends thought I was crazy, but everything went great. This burb is one of the best vehicles i've ever owned!

I believe the lake in the pictures, is indeed, Molas Lake. It was right off of Hwy 550, on the right hand side if you are heading North.

Take care!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94