10 liter NATO fuel cans - anybody use 'em?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Okay, I know there's another fuel can thread over here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121817-California-fuel-storage-containers

But I wanted to bring this up. I was out on my motorcycle last weekend and stopped into a local sporting goods and surplus store (JAX.)

While there, I saw some 10L fuel cans. Not 20L (5 gallon) and not 5L (1.25 gallon) which I'd seen before. These were 10L (2.65 gallon) and they look like the 5 gallon size but are only half as tall.

I like the idea of these because I could put them on my roof rack without putting them on their sides.

Here's the type of can I'm talking about:

http://www.jerrycan.com/10-liter-olive-drab-steel-wavian-jerry-can/

So I'm just wondering, does anybody else use these? I do like my Rotopax cans but these might be a nice alternative. I like that they're metal not plastic, even though I have no complaints about my RotoPax cans.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I have a single 10L Scepter [plastic] water can. I like the smaller size for convenience of multiple pouring in smaller amounts. But for my truck I stuck with the more traditional size of 20L fuel cans. When I pour fuel, the truck drinks the entire jerry can in a single pour.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Yes to using the 10L cans. Mine are ex-French wine cans, so lined inside the can and have "VIN" stamped in the side.
Love'em. A great size for filling motorcycles and low enough to fit under the motorcycles upright when transporting the motos.
An FYI if you use the wine cans (your link are not wine cans) the seals on the lids need to be changed out with fuel rubber seals as the wine grade seals swell when in contact with fuel. They are exactly the same size as 'normal' jerry cans, so a simple swap.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
NATO 10 L cans.......

Martin, Yes I have 2 of these (to increase my capacity in addition to my 2 20 L cans you have already seen) I have them mounted in my roof basket up right ( they clear the opening in the garage, do not have to lay them down, NATO cans do NOT leak in any case) You can get some cool can holders made for them specifically, I did, if you wish, or just a ratchet strap, you know the drill. You can check them out on DE IV. Mine are OD (we like that, more stealth :) ) and I was able to source some #3 Haz-Mat decals for them, Not CARB compliant, but I have never had any grief for having them and they are well traveled as you know. Get a couple!!! :sombrero Michael

Drover

Adventurer
Okay, I know there's another fuel can thread over here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121817-California-fuel-storage-containers

But I wanted to bring this up. I was out on my motorcycle last weekend and stopped into a local sporting goods and surplus store (JAX.)

While there, I saw some 10L fuel cans. Not 20L (5 gallon) and not 5L (1.25 gallon) which I'd seen before. These were 10L (2.65 gallon) and they look like the 5 gallon size but are only half as tall.

I like the idea of these because I could put them on my roof rack without putting them on their sides.

Here's the type of can I'm talking about:

http://www.jerrycan.com/10-liter-olive-drab-steel-wavian-jerry-can/

So I'm just wondering, does anybody else use these? I do like my Rotopax cans but these might be a nice alternative. I like that they're metal not plastic, even though I have no complaints about my RotoPax cans.

Yes , I have em. Used to use the 20L , but I thought they where too tall on my rack. Plus I already have a 6" lift and 35s", my truck height is already 94", so every inch matters. They work just as well as 20s , but easier to get down due to less weight.
image.jpg

overlander

Expedition Leader
I picked up 2 of these while in Botswana and keep them in my roof rack storage box. They fit perfectly. One holds 90W gear oil and other holds engine oil. Very durable and I have the means to refill in event of a full loss on trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Should I tell you that there are "special" 5 gallon oil jerry cans? Looking the same like the 5 gallon fuel cans.
Just the lid is way bigger than regular to enable easy pouring out.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I have a couple of these, I use them for fueling my two stroke engines with fuel/oil mix. I rarely need more than a couple gallons in a month and it makes better sense to me than mixing a full 5 gallons or dedicating a 5 gallon can to a fuel I use much less frequently.
I'll be buying a couple 5l Wavian cans soon for storing motor oil as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles