1 year report on my new-to-me 2018 F-150 3.5 EB....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yup it was exactly 1 year ago yesterday (8/24/19) that I flew from Denver to Salt Lake City, was picked up at the SLC airport by the folks at Kentson Car Company who then drove me to their dealership in American Fork (near Provo) to pick up this 2018 F-150:

F-150 small.jpg

This photo was taken in a parking lot just after I took delivery of the truck. Drove it back home to Colorado over a 2 day period (could have made it in 1 but the wife insisted that I stop and rest somewhere along the way.)

Specs:

2018 F-150 CCSB XLT "XTR" package (this was a Canadian package that featured chrome bumper, grill, running boards and wheels. I don't love the chrome but it's OK.)

3.5 EB, 10 speed transmission, 4x4, 3.31 final drive, 36 gallon tank, FX4 package with E-locker and skid plates. Trailer tow package with built-in brake controller and trailer backup assist.

As I said, I'm not a fan of chrome but this one had the "big 4" options I wanted: 36 gallon tank, built in trailer brake (I was SO tired of the "knee buster" on my Suburban), E-locker and heated seats (which I don't love but the wife really wanted - happy wife = happy life.)

Had just under 18,000 miles when I bought it last year. Previously had been in Alberta, Canada (and yes I checked the undercarriage for rust - it's clean as a whistle.)

First accessories/mods were: Husky floor liners front and rear, Cover King seat covers, and a Leer 100R topper (cab high.) I specified the topper to have the side win-doors on both sides and the tracks for a Thule/Yakima rack since we carry kayaks when we camp.

Primary function of this truck is to pull our travel trailer (2018 Forest River R-Pod 179 Hood River Edition) which is about 22' long (including the tongue) and has a fully loaded weight I would estimate at ~ 3500lb or so.

It also serves as my daily driver, Home Depot Weekend Project hauler and occasional grandkid carrier (ages 5 and 8.)

Here is our typical setup when traveling. This is from last September but we still pretty much roll like this:

Vail pass.jpg

So, now for the report card:

The Good:

Overall, I'm very happy with the truck. The power from the 3.5 EB V6 is incredible and the combination of the EB motor with the 10 speed transmission is a night-and-day difference from our previous setup which was using a 2004 Suburban with a tired 5.3 V8 and the problematic 4L60 transmission (which I killed not once but twice.)

Because we live in the Denver area and do most of our camping in Colorado, driving over 11,000'+ passes is the norm for us. Passes that we used to CRAWL over at 30 mph with the transmission in 1st gear and the engine screaming at nearly 5000 RPM we can now breeze over at 65 mph without breaking a sweat.

I was a little worried that going from a "single cabin" vehicle like the Suburban to a crew cab pickup would cause me to lose storage space, but that worry was unfounded: We actually have almost an embarrassment of riches in terms of space (so much cargo space inside the bed of the truck with the topper that my wife often asks me to bring stuff I know we won't need, with the justification that "well, we have room for it don't we?")

To those who say a 5.5' bed is "useless" I have to say that we can carry more camping gear than 2 people and a dog should ever need. No, I can't sleep in the 5.5' bed but that's not what I bought it for (and actually I probably COULD sleep in the bed if I made a platform and slept diagnoally.)

The 5.5' bed came in real handy when I decided to try and park it in our suburban garage. Yes, I was able to fit it in:

garage 1.jpg

But there wasn't a lot of room left over:

garage 2.jpg

I couldn't have done that if I'd opted for the longer bed, which I'm guessing is the reason that the CCSB is a more popular body style than the CCLB.

The interior of the cab is QUIET which I love! It's even considerably quieter than the wife's CR-V, to the point where if we are going somewhere on a long drive I'd rather take the truck just because it's more pleasant.

The audio system is great, certainly good enough that upgrading it is not a realistic option for me. The simple HVAC controls work as well as (or better than) the "automatic climate control" that my Suburban had (which I seemed to constantly need to fiddle with to keep the cabin comfortable.)

The truck sits high and rides very nicely overall. (to be continued...)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The not-so-good:

Of course, it's not all positives. Any time you switch from one vehicle to another there are going to be things you don't like.

The biggest problem I've had with the truck isn't actually with the truck, it's with me. Specifically my back. I started noticing severe sciatic pain whenever I had to drive distances longer than about an hour. I didn't notice this much on my Suburban. However, I'm starting to think that the timing on this may be at least partially conincidental, since I experienced NO pain or discomfort during the entire 500+ mile drive back from Salt Lake City. I've
tried just about every possible angle, orientation or setting on the seat (up, down, forward, backward, cushions, pads, etc) with no luck.

(Speaking of seating positions, although I like the 6 way power seats, my Suburban had "memory" seats where I could set a specific setting and then recall it with the touch of a button. Ford doesn't offer the memory seat option on the XLT package and I have to say I miss it.)

Currently working on the sciatic issue with a physical therapist and have just started acupuncture. I'm really hoping the acupuncture works because otherwise, I end up getting miserable on long drives as the pain radiating down my right leg is excruciating.

Other than the sciatic pain, gripes I have are:

I find the controls on the dashboard and steering wheel are not nearly as intuitive as the ones on my Suburban. I find myself occasionally looking at the steering wheel or dashboard to make sure I'm pressing the right button since they all pretty much look the same. I think Ford could really take a lesson from GM here. Of course this is something that becomes less and less of an issue over time as I get used to the truck but it's somewhat annoying (this is particularly true for the cruise control buttons.)

Oh, the buttons on the overhead console for the interior lights are confusing and again, not at all intuitive as to how they work (I once spent 15 minutes trying to get the interior lights to turn off, even had to pull the manual out to do it)

MPG is one of the reasons I chose a boosted V6 over a V8 from either Ford, Ram or Chevy. While non-towing MPG has been pretty good (16 - 18 in typical around-town or Suburban driving), I have to say that towing MPG has been pretty abysmal, even more so than on my Suburban. The 'Burb could do 9 - 11 while towing over a high pass, but the F-150 rarely even gets into the double digits and 8 seems to be about average. Now to be fair, I may be having a bit more "fun" with the 3.5 EB than I absolutely need to (like, do I really NEED to pass that semi at 65 mph while ascending to Eisenhower tunnel?) so perhaps if I was a bit more conservative with the way I drive, I'd see an improvement. Still, it's a bit of a kick in the pants to have a big 36 gallon gas tank and to still have a low fuel warning come on at under 300 miles, which actually happened.)

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of TOWING MPG people are getting with the modern V8 engines. I know people lie about MPG as much as they lie about sex but it does make me curious if a non-boosted V8 would do better, MPG wise, when towing a 4,000lb trailer over a high pass.

I'm not sure this should count as a "negative", but compared to the Suburban (which had a 133" wheelbase), the F150 with its 145" wheelbase is not fun to drive in tight quarters. And its WIDE - even compared to the 'Burb which is also a "full sized" truck. The F150 is so wide that parking is a bit of a PITA because I'm trying not to take up more than one space. The width of the F150 also requires me to fold my mirrors in when parking in the garage (and being an XLT, power folding mirrors weren't included, as they were on my fully loaded Suburban, so that's another minor hassle, getting out and folding the passenger mirror in by hand.)

The width of the F150 is also the reason that if the wife and I are going anywhere urban or suburban (shopping, out to visit friends, etc) we normally take her CR-V. It's just much easier to park.

Other issues are pretty minor. Some of the plastic trim pieces and even the badges on the exterior seem to be not very well attached, although the sheet metal (aluminum) all seems to be nicely done.

As I said, the "negatives" are mostly minor quibbles that I'd likely have had with any vehicle. Certainly I can say confidently that switching to a new vehicle was the right choice. I sure don't miss the Suburban when I'm ascending a high pass with the trailer behind me or when I'm tooling around town.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Accessories/additions/mods:

I haven't said much about the accessories or modifications I made so I'll do that here.

The biggest/most expensive was the Leer 100R topper. Cost was about $2400 out-the-door (tax included.) Yes, I could have saved a lot if I'd bought used, but (a) we were in the middle of camping season and I didn't have time for one to show up on the used market and (b) by buying new I got exactly what I wanted. Best feature, hands down, are the win-doors. I use them on every camping trip and they make loading and unloading the truck much, much easier. I kick myself for waiting so long to get a topper with win-doors, really I think all toppers should have them.

The Husky Floor Liners are also a great addition. I've put Huskies on every vehicle I've owned since 2009 and I love them. In terms of fit, looks, and protecting the interior of the truck, you can't beat them. My only gripe is that I wish I could have gotten them in gray instead of black (if you have a dog that has white fur, the last thing in the world you want is a black interior!) Wife had Weather Techs on her old CR-V and I didn't like them as much. The Huskies fit well and are less expensive than the Weather Techs and I highly recommend the Husky floor liners.

I wish I could say the same about my next mod, the Cover-King /Skanda seat covers, but I can't. For what they cost (around $250 per row of seats) they don't fit very well IMO. The seat covers for the front seats are one-piece covers, which always fit like crap (by contrast, I got a set of less expensive neoprene covers for the wife's CR-V that fit much better because they are 2 piece covers - IOW the cover for the seat bottom is a different piece than the cover for the seat back.) The back seat covers actually fit much better than the front seat covers, probably because the back seat covers are 2 piece. Here are some photos of the seat covers and you can see the issues I had with them:

seatcovers 3.jpg

seatcovers 4.jpg

And yes, I can tuck those in, but it doesn't take long before they work their way back out.

The overall loose/sloppy fit is visible here:

seatcovers 2.jpg

Since I'm not (yet) annoyed enough to throw down another $500 on seat covers, these will stay for now but I can definitely recommend NOT getting the Skanda seat covers.

I also replaced the factory antenna aerial with a lower-profile plastic one

And I added a tailgate-lowering "shock absorber" so the tailgate would ease gently down instead of slamming down:

Fender liners, also from Husky:

A Bultright Industries rear seat release (so I can access the entire area behind both back seats, not just the passenger side):

And a Builtright Industries dash mount for my phone holder:

That sits in the "dash pocket" above the stereo and lets me mount accessories without having to drill into the dashboard.

And after all that ... I'm pretty much done "farkling" the F-150. About the only change it's going to need now are tires (the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tires that came from the factory are TERRIBLE in the snow, so they need to be replaced before October.)

Feel free to post any questions if you have them!

Last edited:
I've got a 2018 F150 Super Cab with the 6' 6" bed (I think that's the same wheelbase as yours) with the V8. I averaged 11.4 MPG towing a 27ft Airstream from central Texas to Oklahoma and then over to ABQ. Pretty much set the cruise at 65 mph the whole time. No big passes, but some elevation gain and my trailer is about 7,000 pounds. Normal city driving I get about 18 mpg and unloaded highway trips I'm around 21-22 mpg driving 75-80 mph.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I should point out that the one time I was towing and was NOT going through the mountains, I actually managed to get 12 MPG! But not going through the mountains is rare for us.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
WRT MPG, it can be pretty decent when not pulling the trailer.

Screen shot from this morning. Wife and I took a long (all day) drive up into the mountains on Saturday and yesterday I had to drive up to Fort Collins (150 mile round trip) and this was the result:

MPG.jpg

Not bad for a half ton truck. My favorite part of this is the fact that with 539 miles on the odometer (which I reset when I fuel up) I still have almost 170 miles to empty!

Speaking of fuel, even though I ran for several months on premium only, I've found that 87 octane (mid-grade around here) seems to be the "sweet spot."

phsycle

Adventurer
Steering wheel controls. Just be glad they’re not Toyota’s. Let’s see—volume UP, press RIGHT on the switch. Skip track forward? Press UP. Totally “switched” up.

MPG - Turbos will kill MPG if you’re constantly punching it. Which is fun but costly. Keep your foot out of it and you should see good MPG.

On my old 2.7EB, towing a 4-5k lb enclosed trailer (6x12), I was getting 10mpg. But towing up fairly steep passes and on the highway at 80mph (speed limit).

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Steering wheel controls. Just be glad they’re not Toyota’s. Let’s see—volume UP, press RIGHT on the switch. Skip track forward? Press UP. Totally “switched” up.

MPG - Turbos will kill MPG if you’re constantly punching it. Which is fun but costly. Keep your foot out of it and you should see good MPG.

On my old 2.7EB, towing a 4-5k lb enclosed trailer (6x12), I was getting 10mpg. But towing up fairly steep passes and on the highway at 80mph (speed limit).
On our Tacoma work trucks you have to push a million buttons on the touch screen to adjust the dash brightness. ******. It should be a simple dial or knob.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Forgot to put that the factory nav isn't as easy to use as my Garmin. However it's "good enough" for casual use.

The funny thing is that when I put it into nave mode an automated voice says "use voice commands while driving." Uh, it's not set up to use voice commands, as near as I can tell. In fact, the only way I know of to use voice commands is to use Apple Car Play and then use Siri to run Apple Maps, which completely replaces the factory Nav.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Re: Front seat covers; I just pulled mine before I got the truck detailed and they're not going back on. The heated/cooled seats work better (duh) but also the rub marks on the leather were atrocious.

D

Deleted member 9101

I've been looking at seat covers for three years, still haven't found a set that I like.

D

Deleted member 9101

I like more rustic/utilitarian so in my old truck, I had Carhartt’s. Fits really well. Even though it was made by Coverking, other Coverking covers did not work. Carhartt fits really well and works good.

I've looked at those, they seem to all fit kinda baggy.
, at least on the 2015+ F150s

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior