1.4 tcases- an offer

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I have a container leaving the Uk in 8-12 days. Frank/aka Mongo had asked me about 1.4 tcases and the Wright Off Road sound deadening kits for Defenders.
There will be 2 110's in this 40 ft container as well as a new rust free tub for my Sankey trailer, so not a whole lot more room for large items but thought I would see if there was sufficient interest for 1.4 tcases as they can sit on the floor and not take up too much room. If so and you are willing to commit I'll call Dave Ashcroft and see what kind of deal I can strike. I see no value in importing used crap from ebay Uk or "breaker yards" so these would be newly built Ashcroft units. I will be able to give you a quote now on the tcase imported and upon arrival we will have to make another arrangement to get the tcase shipped to you. Port of entry will be Baltimore. I'm not looking to profit on these but rather making an offer to the Expo community since I keep getting pm's about these. I'd like to satisfy the demand once and for all-or forever hold your peace.

Ashcrofts

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Wright Off Road

http://www.wrightoffroad.com/technical_info.htm

obviously this is a time sensitive so pony up and I'll cal Dave. The Wright Offroad product I will most likely have to procure through Allmakes but will cross that bridge when I have a tally.

Again just want to know whos interested and we will see if pricing is attractive enough to make it work.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I see no value in importing used crap from ebay Uk or "breaker yards" so these would be newly built Ashcroft units.

Why? With the durability of these beasts, I wouldn't necessarily call a used LT230 crap . . . ? If that's the case, then just about every LT230 we are running right now is crap . . .

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
I think Doug would rather not chance bringing in a defective used unit whereas the ashcroft one is a fresh unit. I would really like to see ashcroft cut a good deal because several people want to get one. I think someone mentioned that we would lose the ability to use the vss from a 1.4 tcase but if we got them through ashcroft I am sure we can retain that usage.

It is a little out of the budget that I set aside to do this project at the price ashcroft has listed but if there are enough of us I am sure it could be a better deal. Good thing I get paid today also hopefully I can swing it.

Thanks Doug for this offer.

Edit: Doug I am interested in this deal.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Why? With the durability of these beasts, I wouldn't necessarily call a used LT230 crap . . . ? If that's the case, then just about every LT230 we are running right now is crap . . .

Eh, when I bought my R380, it seemed like it made more sense to just buy a new one from Ashcroft. Dealing with scrap yards next door are one thing. Dealing with a junk LT230 from a scrapyard on another continent, not that much.

That being said, I had the box shipped to Lucky8 in one of his regular shipments from Ashcroft. I was surprised how little it cost to have something so heavy shipped air. IIRC, it was like $130 or something.

Maryland 110

Adventurer

I'm certain you have an incredible plan and source from whom I could do a group buy of used 1.4 tcases in good condition otherwise you wouldn't have pissed on this thread for the sake of just being obnoxious. One from whom no one would have qualms about condition and whom we would have (not) recourse with if they did supply unservicable units. Please share your source.

I have to import these, not you from your wing chair. Unclean items always run the risk that Dept of Agriculture will require the container be quarantined and each item steam cleaned. Then there's the fact that I have to unload these and then ship them on. Ashcrofts units come packaged well and I'll be able to ship them as they come. Used units from some breaker- probably looking @ a whole lot more hassel there, ie repackaging etc. not to mention oil leakage- I have to return the container clean or pay a penalty .

I have made an offer to do something no one else is/has offered and am responsible for all of the contents of the container. It boils down to what I am willing to deal with. Thats clean, well packed, cases with warranty's made by the best in the business. That was my offer.

If someone told you you would loose the VSS they were wrong. You can actually get different VSS's (they are color coded) to match your tcase ratio and tire size to actual road speed and have an accurate speedo. There was a lot of info on this on the LR4x4 forum.
It doesn't have to be 1.4 tcases. If you want something from Ashcrofts let me know. One guy on the D90 board was asking about an underdrive for example. Just thought if one vendor is delivering one load there's economy in that, additionally the guys who will load the container only have to unload one truck sort of thing.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I'm certain you have an incredible plan and source from whom I could do a group buy of used 1.4 tcases in good condition otherwise you wouldn't have pissed on this thread for the sake of just being obnoxious. One from whom no one would have qualms about condition and whom we would have (not) recourse with if they did supply unservicable units. Please share your source.

I have to import these, not you from your wing chair. Unclean items always run the risk that Dept of Agriculture will require the container be quarantined and each item steam cleaned. Then there's the fact that I have to unload these and then ship them on. Ashcrofts units come packaged well and I'll be able to ship them as they come. Used units from some breaker- probably looking @ a whole lot more hassel there, ie repackaging etc. not to mention oil leakage- I have to return the container clean or pay a penalty .

I have made an offer to do something no one else is/has offered and am responsible for all of the contents of the container. It boils down to what I am willing to deal with. Thats clean, well packed, cases with warranty's made by the best in the business. That was my offer.

OK. Calm down . . . I understand your position and all as an importer. I'm just saying that used LT230's aren't necessarily crap . . . that's all! Thanks for the offer, but that Ashcroft one is out of my price range. If I could afford that right now, I'd just regear the diffs and get some extra low range gearing as well. No offense meant. :)

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I also noticed that Ashcroft is offering the 1.4 gearset alone for about 350.00 USD. Shipping couldn't be all that much for just the gears. Anyway, that beats the Toddco price of 700.00 for the set. Just another thought. Still have to install them though. I'm leaning more towards going back to R&P's instead for the low range advantage after looking at the whole picture for the 1.4. Again, thanks for the offer, Doug.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Eh, when I bought my R380, it seemed like it made more sense to just buy a new one from Ashcroft. Dealing with scrap yards next door are one thing. Dealing with a junk LT230 from a scrapyard on another continent, not that much.

That being said, I had the box shipped to Lucky8 in one of his regular shipments from Ashcroft. I was surprised how little it cost to have something so heavy shipped air. IIRC, it was like $130 or something.

Good price on the shipping! A lot lower than I would've thought. I just don't think that the 1.4 box is worth that much to me when it starts getting into the 1000.00+ range. I was thinking of it more as a lower cost alternative to regearing the diffs.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
No offense meant. :)

You keep saying that. You don't need to post four times about how this doesn't work for you-just once if it was something of interest.

I think it depends on the individual and the degree of slippery slope. Re gearing open diffs makes little sense. Most will opt for arb or other when redoing the ring and pinion to justify the labor expense of having someone set them up correctly. I think Justin @ Lucky 8 gets around $400 per axle for r&p so lets call it $800 delivered and then pay someone to set the pair up-usually $150 a diff or so $1100 to re gear. So pretty much even money and you still have open weak rover differentials. If you go lockers the cheap setup is tt front and detroit rear but thats another $1000 min so $2000 as kind of a min to do it right unless someone has a line on some super cheap gears. As far as just buying the tcase 1.4 gears-yeah you can do that but you will also need new intermediate shaft bearings and crush sleeve-they can't be re used. You also need to make certain they will work with your tcase- many 1.2's have more teeth on the input shaft gears and wont work with the 1.4 intermediate gears.
A guy on the 90 board recently tried to do this himself and had to pull the tcase twice and buy two crush sleeves because following the factory rebuild manual wasn't the way to go.

I already have both a 1.4 and a 1.2 so was just offering for others.

It looks like I'm up to 8 on the Wright Offroad sound mats for defenders so far.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles