1/2" Synthetic Rope - which winch hooks, snatch blocks and shackles?

Srpat

Observer
Looking for some options that fit 1/2" rope. My snatch blocks didn't work too well with that size rope. Who makes something big enough to fit that with a strong enough WLL for a 17,000 lb winch with 30,000+ lb rope. And are there any other options for winch hooks besides factor 55 xxl versions? There don't seem to be many choices that are rated for more than 12,000 lbs.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Srpat:

We run our front winch (Warn 16.5) with just a spliced eye (couple layers of tubular webbing as chafe protection) while our rear winch (also Warn 16.5) has a Factor 55 XXL Flat Link. This setup is a quasi-experiment for us to see which we like best. So far the spliced eye is the overwhelming favorite. Very easy to handle and we're alway connecting to a soft or alloy shackle so a hook was wasted anyway. We do protect the spliced eye from abrasion with a Factor 55 Loop Guard. Both winches have 1/2" line.

An added benefit for us is that we can get our front mounted bike rack 2" closer to the bumper, increasing our approach angle by about 5 degrees, because the Loop Guard fits within the central mount of the rack.

We carry an ARB 20000 snatch block for light duty and a MasterPull SB75000 for serious stuff. We carry several soft shackles made from Amsteel Blue 1/2" and a couple made from Plasma 5/8". Both of those lines can take a lot of abrasion and abuse yet still yield plenty of safety margin for a 16,500 lb winch. Note that when using a snatch block the shackle anchoring the block can see 2x the winch's rated pull. For alloy shackles we carry several sizes of Skookums. Skookums are the strongest for a given size of all the shackles I could find, so if you want to maximum capacity for minimum weight they might be worth the money. You'll likely hear that other shackles are stronger for the a given size, but do some research on working load limits and draw your own conclusions.

Howard Snell

greengreer

Adventurer
I just spliced a gusseted, enclosed thimble on 7/16" hmpe for use on a warn m15. They are inexpensive and sturdy. I prefer a shackle to a hook, fwiw.

you'll need to size up the thimble a bit as class II ropes are a bit larger than their measured diameter. I used a 5/8" thimble and it should work for your 1/2" line as well.

On other winches I just use a naked eye. Easy to inspect and redo if needed. I have a 10k lb hydraulic winch on a brush chipper that sees dozens of long pulls a day sometimes(lots of dirt and abrasion too) . Just an eye girth hitched to a steel snap hook. I switch ends about once a year for peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94