'09 Suzuki DL650 project bike

Got my Suzuki DL650 on Monday, already have 106mi on it when I pulled into the driveway today. :wings:

Not my favorite color, but I felt I could do better with the black on this and paint the orange, as opposed to getting the silver/grey and having to deal with all the chrome.

As she is right now-

First on the list- luggage solution. I've been strapping my pack to the board w/ the pack's straps. I need a bungy system I think.

Second- MO-Tech crashguards + skidplate

Saddle bags one day, taller windshield, etc, etc, etc...

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Congrats on the new bike!

Just some food for thought: you can do a lot on the Wee with just a simple set of dry bags.

I did 10,000 miles in 10 week with this setup with zero issues:

Nice bike - My son had to sell his last year when he got married - he still misses it! I was very impressed with the capabilities of the 650.

As for bags I just got a set of these for my KTM. The larger size would be perfect for the DL. I like that in seconds you can pull it off the bike to head into a hotel room or set up camp.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

I have Jesse Bags on my BMW but still carry a duffel for in and out on hotels without having to dig through the hard cases. This solves that issue... of course others will arise!

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
aw wil -- had no idea you were a GL dealer. just received a set last month for my 990 and the wifes F650 --

I may never go back to hard bags.. that GL is just awesome and fits everything i really need..

Congrats on the new DL650 Coastal Defender - very nice looking - very good choice.

weezerbot

Glamping Society
aw wil -- had no idea you were a GL dealer. just received a set last month for my 990 and the wifes F650 --

I may never go back to hard bags.. that GL is just awesome and fits everything i really need..

Congrats on the new DL650 Coastal Defender - very nice looking - very good choice.

No worries James, Sierra just expanded to Adventure Motorcycling...we will have LOTS more for you to purchase shortly. :coffeedrink:

jkam

nomadic man
I had an 04 DL650 and put 86,000 miles on it in 3 years.
It was a great bike and handled the rough stuff pretty good for it's size and weight.

Jesse Luggage held a ton of stuff. Aerostich tank panniers fit good and made a nice leg rest. Didn't really care for the SW Motech skid plate or engine guards, I went through a couple of skid plates because it couldn't handle jkam abuse but at the time there weren't many options available.

I think I am going to get the GIVI rear rack, and add some 20mm Ammo boxes for now. It seems the cheapest temporary setup until I can save for either the Alu-Boxes or a Carribou Pelican setup.

Try to look at the SWMotech side racks and the GIVI racks and compare. I think it is easier to mount ammo cans to the Motech racks because you don't have to cut/alter the rack to do it. The Givi has the Monokey component welded to it in a way that interferes with the can. Also, the givi is tubular where the Motech is flat material where the Ammo can bolts onto.

EDIT TO ADD: The text in RED is incorrect. I corrected myself in a later post.

Last edited:
Try to look at the SWMotech side racks and the GIVI racks and compare. I think it is easier to mount ammo cans to the Motech racks because you don't have to cut/alter the rack to do it. The Givi has the Monokey component welded to it in a way that interferes with the can. Also, the givi is tubular where the Motech is flat material where the Ammo can bolts onto.
I was looking at that, and was weighing the $80 price difference.