09/10 5.4 f150 vs 11-13 5.0 f150

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Looks like I have narrowed down my next truck to a 2009 to 2013 f150 supercrew with 6.5ft bed, this will be used for towing our boat and have a lightweight popup slide-in camper. I have read that the 6-speed auto made a big difference with the 5.4, and that it has more low end torque than the 5.0, but seems that the 5.0 is a better driving engine for everyday use. If I can find a King Ranch with the 6.5 ft bed that would be my first choice, and this will not ever be driven on anything tougher than rough dirt roads. So for those who have owned both, which engine did you like more? I am aware of the spark plus issues and cam phasers.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'd get a 13 with a 5.0 (or 6.2 if you manage to find one) since they had a few upgrades over the earlier trucks of that generation.

David_h

I'd go with a newer truck. And, it will keep you away from the 3v 5.4 which I have in my 2008 F250. For the 5.4 it is likely that you'd always want to keep an eye on the phasers; and the cylinder head design with the extra long spark plug is a potential money pit as learned the hard way. The 6.2 engine is getting good reviews but may not be offered in an F150.

85_Ranger4x4

When did the cam phaser issues get resolved on the 3V 5.4? Or did they?

Rumored in 08-09 (towards the end of production supposedly.

I'd go with a newer truck. And, it will keep you away from the 3v 5.4 which I have in my 2008 F250. For the 5.4 it is likely that you'd always want to keep an eye on the phasers; and the cylinder head design with the extra long spark plug is a potential money pit as learned the hard way. The 6.2 engine is getting good reviews but may not be offered in an F150.

6.2 has been offered a few times but I don't think it is currently offered.

Really fills up the engine bay and doesn't show a 3.5EB much besides a bunch of extra gas station receipts. About the same MPG as a 6.2 F-250.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've had 4.6, 5.4, and 5.0's for company vehicles in the past. The 4.6's are miserable slugs, the 5.4's are nice to drive but gas hogs (not that I was worried about it, I had a fuel card), the 5.0 impressed me with the power, driveability and mileage. Hands down 5.0 in my book, wouldn't even consider a 4.6 or a 5.4. Not really having anything to do with your question, my uncle had a 4.6 truck with a tuner and it much improved the power, economy, and manners...

The 4.6 is not even part of the conversation.

I owned a jellybean F-150 with the 5.4 and it never gave me trouble. Currently have a '12 XLT Supercrew with the 5.0. The new(er) truck has such a great interior layout with the flat floor in the back. I love it. As far as the motor the 5.0 is very solid as far as I can tell, I'm at 140k with only routine maintenance. The truck needs a little more rpms to pull hard than I expected at first but I have grown used to it. I drove from El Paso to Phoenix on the highway 2 weekends ago and I got 20mpg. I don't do that well on the interstate but still pretty good for a 4x4 1/2 ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles