'08 Tacoma headlight question

mightymike

Adventurer
My new truck will be here next week and I am putting a set of IPF lights on it. On several of my vehicles I've wired the driving light on/off switch to my stock high-beams through the relay so that when I use the factory high-beam switch my driving lights also come on. For me it is the easiest way to use the driving lights as my morning commute is always in darkness, dodging deer and other critters.

I've looked at the FSM for the 2006 Tacoma http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/local files/wiring.html but I am not familiar with the symbols on the wiring diagram. Can someone look at it and tell me which wire going into the back of the actual headlight assembly is for the high-beams so I can splice into that wire to the driving light relay? I don't want to hack up the wires on a new truck. On my other vehicles I've unplugged the headlight on one side and used the voltmeter to see which wire activates the high beams. Perhaps that is a possibility as well.

Thanks for any help-

Mike

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I use a 12V test light to find power when I need it.

What I did for my IPF's on the ARB was wire them into the OEM fog light wiring, that way they come on with the dash switch.

heeltoe989

Explorer
TACODOC said:
I use a 12V test light to find power when I need it.

What I did for my IPF's on the ARB was wire them into the OEM fog light wiring, that way they come on with the dash switch.

Are those IPF's 55W or 100W?

I'm going to be changing my Hellas (55W) out for Solteks (100W) I'm just wondering if that circuit would take 100w.

Last edited:

mightymike

Adventurer
The IPF kit came with 55w and 100w bulbs. Prior to this I've used Hella 500's with the 55w bulbs and have been very pleased. I'm anxious to see if the IPF's are that much better than the Hella's to justify the higher price. I think I'll try the 100w bulbs this time, unless someone has some advice as to why I should not.

TACODOC-I'll most likely use the voltmeter to find it, I guess. Thanks-

The wait is KILLI'N me-The truck has been on order since January!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
heeltoe989 said:
Are those Piaf's 55W or 100W?

I'm going to be changing my Hellas (55W) out for Solteks (100W) I'm just wondering if that circuit would take 100w.

If you use a 30A relay, the stock circuit only is used as a signal to open the relay - it takes very little amperage to do so. Use heavy gage wire for the lights and from the battery to the relay, at least 12G or 10G.

heeltoe989

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
If you use a 30A relay, the stock circuit only is used as a signal to open the relay - it takes very little amperage to do so. Use heavy gage wire for the lights and from the battery to the relay, at least 12G or 10G.

Thanks very much :)

asteffes

Explorer
mightymike said:
My new truck will be here next week and I am putting a set of IPF lights on it. On several of my vehicles I've wired the driving light on/off switch to my stock high-beams through the relay so that when I use the factory high-beam switch my driving lights also come on. For me it is the easiest way to use the driving lights as my morning commute is always in darkness, dodging deer and other critters.

I've looked at the FSM for the 2006 Tacoma http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/local files/wiring.html but I am not familiar with the symbols on the wiring diagram. Can someone look at it and tell me which wire going into the back of the actual headlight assembly is for the high-beams so I can splice into that wire to the driving light relay? I don't want to hack up the wires on a new truck. On my other vehicles I've unplugged the headlight on one side and used the voltmeter to see which wire activates the high beams. Perhaps that is a possibility as well.

Thanks for any help-

Mike

I would pull the bulb and use a test lamp or meter. It is a switched ground system, so you'll probably want to use the factory harness to switch the ground side of the switching means half of your relay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior