'08 Hunting/harvest report

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
JJackson said:
Did you use your large canvas tent/garage?

Yes, I did sleep comfortably in the "Big Top" It worked well. There were others at the camp and most were in smaller 1-2 man tents. I had room to spread out.

I still haven't had any weather while using it. I don't know how it would do in the rain.

I'm going back up after Thanksgiving to help my buddy fill his bull tag. We found a really nice one while cow hunting and tied it to a tree for him.......

Dave

JJackson

Explorer
At work today a few of the guys showed me some pictures one was a nice mule deer buck shot north of the peaks, the other was a 260 class mule deer that would make some elk look small, no idea where it was taken in AZ, I wish I had a copy of his pictures but I do not, might try to find some tomorrow.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Filled my mule deer tag this morning. I saw this guy on opening morning and let him pass to see if there was another that I wanted more. There wasn't so when he showed up again today I took him. He was bullying a smaller buck and the poor little guy had an antler hanging off. He should have an easier time without this one around. The gene pool is funny where we hunt and creates some really big fork horns. Any 4x4s I saw were smaller.

Had a pretty good bull moose walk by my stand on Thursday afternoon. Hopefully he'll come by again next year when I should be drawn for antlered moose.

I still have a whitetail tag so I'll go out again next weekend and see what I can find. I have geese on the brain now though. The northerns are moving through and I counted over a thousand flying over my place in about 1/2 hour at sunset today.

Please forgive the crappy cell phone pic.

img008.sized.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
Forgot to mention the gun for those who are interested.

Sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser (Carl Gustov) 6.5x55 using factory 139g ammo. Bushnell fixed 7x scope. Easy shot, in and out through both lungs at about 75 yards. Not bad for a 60 year old gun.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Sorry, but no pics. Shot a good size doe openning day. About 3 1/2 years old, ~210 on the hoof. Stopped broadside forty yards away from my blind and stared at me. Dropped it with one shot, struck right below the ear. Used a Winchester 1300, 2 3/4" plain slugs.

lowenbrau

Explorer
calamaridog said:
You have a nice variety of game to hunt up there. Mule deer, whitetail, moose - any elk too?

Elk are starting to show up in the area where I hunt but are not common at all. You have to head west to the mountains for real elk hunting. A biologist friend of mine was telling me that elk are prairie animals by nature and only went to the mountains a couple hundred years ago when white man drove them there. They are now beginning to come back out on the prairie.

There is really good antelope hunting here, and ducks, geese, grouse. No grizzly hunt any more but the place is over run with wolves if you like predator hunts. In the mountains there is good sheep hunting as well.

All in all, Alberta has some really good hunting opportunities within a couple of hours of home. If only there were a few less people.

JJackson

Explorer
JJackson said:
At work today a few of the guys showed me some pictures one was a nice mule deer buck shot north of the peaks, the other was a 260 class mule deer that would make some elk look small, no idea where it was taken in AZ, I wish I had a copy of his pictures but I do not, might try to find some tomorrow.

Found the pictues, iphoto says is from May 2007 or the date on the camera was not set correctly. Not mine buy nice to look at.

762X39

Explorer
I took this small deer on the 3rd day of my hunt on Manitoulin Island. After +10 years I decided to change the location of my tree stand to the south end of our thicket. The new location needs a bit of refinement but I feel it has great possibilities.

Attachments

• IMG_0591 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0591 (Medium).JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 49

JJackson

Explorer
762X39 said:
I took this small deer on the 3rd day of my hunt on Manitoulin Island. After +10 years I decided to change the location of my tree stand to the south end of our thicket. The new location needs a bit of refinement but I feel it has great possibilities.

303 British Lee-Enfield?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Late season fun!

I love late season hunting. After the holidays, when the temps drop even lower and the snow blows a little stronger, treks into the woods are way more enjoyable. There's hardly no one else out, there's that great tracking snow in the mornings, and the bustle of December is passed.

Here's a nice brace of rabbits we bagged today. Plus a hen pheasant and a nice grouse. My Dad, step brother and me spent the whole day playing beagle running rabbits out to each other and the birds were just icing on the cake! Felt like the good old days of our youth.
102_3079a.jpg

Well season is still in till the first week of February, plus we're still chasing deer with the flintlocks. Gonna enjoy the next couple of weeks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior