07BlackSpecV's Junior Overland 2008 Nissan Xterra

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Love seeing this truck snorked and ARB'ed! Looks good, sir. Real good.

Sent from the north.

Thanks man, I was unsure of the ARB up until recently. It is a bit of an odd duck because it sticks out further but I really think it gives the Xterra quite a look. The truck is really starting to come along, now I just need to put it to more use.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
What's next? I already have the winch (and have found it useful), so I'd say go for the winch and the sliders then re-gear from there..IMO. My short list includes, sliders, snorkel, and re-gearing.
As far as the re-gearing goes, I'm thinking of going to the 3.69 (or whatever it is), looking for a replacement front dif that already has that gear set in it, and then just dealing with re-rearing my current rear dif.

bigskypylot

Explorer
What's next? I already have the winch (and have found it useful), so I'd say go for the winch and the sliders then re-gear from there..IMO. My short list includes, sliders, snorkel, and re-gearing.
As far as the re-gearing goes, I'm thinking of going to the 3.69 (or whatever it is), looking for a replacement front dif that already has that gear set in it, and then just dealing with re-rearing my current rear dif.

Just curious as to why 3.69 and not 3.73 or 4.10?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Just curious as to why 3.69 and not 3.73 or 4.10?
I thought that the new the decent option up was something like 3.69. I may be wrong. 4.10 may be pushing it a bit for everything I use the Xterra for. It's just brainstorming for now. I thought I read that one could look for a buy a whole front differential with the 3. 69 already in it for good pricing. I'll have to research in more earnest in the spring when I am thinking of dealing with this.

Sent from the Mountains

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I thought that the new the decent option up was something like 3.69. I may be wrong. 4.10 may be pushing it a bit for everything I use the Xterra for. It's just brainstorming for now. I thought I read that one could look for a buy a whole front differential with the 3. 69 already in it for good pricing. I'll have to research in more earnest in the spring when I am thinking of dealing with this.

Sent from the Mountains

That is true I believe. I think the Pro4's and Offroads had the 3.69's or maybe it was moreso with Frontier's.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
It has been another great year up in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan. A couple of friends and I loaded up the Xterra and a 2 door JK and headed North roughly 12 hours from our home base. Along with recovery gear, camping gear, personal effects, and camera gear we also loaded up HEMA on an IPad and mapped out all the stages that we thought we could make it to, what a fantastic app. We are no longer novice spectators of rally but are starting to get seasoned.

Crossing the Mighty Mac.

Setting up base camp at Baraga State Park.

The guys taking a beer break before hiking into stage.

Of course there was plenty of rally action.

We were so busy, as usual, that we didn't bother cooking for ourselves. Some camp side pizza is always a welcomed way to end our day on the go after a night stage.

We did get a chance to check out the Quincy Mine National Historic Landmark in Hancock. What an amazing experience. It offered an eye opening experience to what working in a copper mine is truly like as well as an excellent photo opportunity for the Xterra. If anyone is in the area for a trip this is a must see.

So, to help wrap up our trip, my navigator and I finally broke down and found an easy way to try out some Pasties. A Pasty is a UP delicacy. It was basically a pot roast, carrots, and mashed potatoes baked into a pastry. It was pretty excellent as well as warming to eat.

So, 1500 miles later another LSPR is in the books. Thank you Houghton and L'anse for the wonderful time once again.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Small change but those count too right? I followed another member's lead and went the expensive route for a rear diff breather extension. I picked up an ARB kit and the Nissan breather and installed them this week. When I had my diff fluid changed at 60,000 miles the mechanic offered to add the extension for me because they did find some water in with the oil...oops! Well now I won't have to worry about that so much and I think I'm going to route the front breather over to the ARB manifold as well.

It makes for an attractive addition but yet understated piece in the engine bay.

Last edited:

sunnypruit

That is what I was hoping. The tranny and transfer case have 3. Plus front and rear diffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles