'07 Tacoma Quick Fist mounted fire extinguisher

slosurfer

Adventurer
I made a fire extinguisher mount using a Quick Fist Nozzle Clamp that utilizes the rail system in the bed. No holes or modifications to the truck itself, plus it can be moved to wherever it fits best on the rail system. It would be pretty simple to mount any of the quick fists to the rail system using similar methods.

List of what I used:
1- Quick Fist Nozzle Clamp
1- 1/4" bolt
2- 1/4" draw bolt washers
1- 1/4" nut
1- spring
1- piece of steel with its width being slightly smaller than the opening of the rail system and its length being the same as the base of the quick fist
1- some kind of adhesive to glue the fist and steel together (this is not needed but it does make it easier deal with if they are attached)

Using the template provided, I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill a center hole in the steel and two partial holes that some nubs on the clamp fit in and keep the clamp from twisting. I then used some construction adhesive to glue the steel and clamp together.

I could not find any t-slot bolts locally so I came up with using the draw bolt nuts to hold it in the slot. The spring helps to keep tension on everything helping to keep everything where you want it, and makes it easier to turn the bolt so that it locks it in and then you can tighten the nut down. It also helps everything when you want to remove or slide it down, you just loosen the nut, twist the bolt, and remove. I may change this out for a good t-slot bolt if I find a good one locally.
IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_6000.jpg

Mounted:
IMG_6001.jpg

Side view showing how the steel fits in the rail:
IMG_6002.jpg

With fire extinguisher:
IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

So far, it has very little movement, a little back and forth when hitting bumps, but no twisting at all. I made sure that I have the fire extinguisher low enough that it won't hit the shell window. Our June Lake trip should make for a good testing period.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Just got back from a June Lake camping trip and the mount held up with little to no movement of the fire extinguisher. I ran Laurel Lakes trail (very rocky and bumpy) and a bunch of dirt roads, along with one of the roughest paved roads that I have been on in a while (the road from 120 to Tamarack Flat Campground in Yosemite). It was nice having the piece of mind that it was in an easy to reach place and secured well. If I didn't have the shell on, I wouldn't have any problem putting it up on the front rail driver's side.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
slosurfer said:
Great work!

I have a few questions:

1. Does the small piece of steel rotate 90 degrees once you put the bolt head in the rail?

2. Where did you get the spring? I haven't seen them at my local Home Depot/

Thanks,

slosurfer

Adventurer
Nuclear Redneck said:
Great work!

I have a few questions:

1. Does the small piece of steel rotate 90 degrees once you put the bolt head in the rail?

It rotates, but not quite to 90 degrees. The reason being that I wanted it to stop rotating so that it would allow everything to be tightened up, otherwise it would just spin. I marked the end of the bolt so I know which way the small steel piece should be pointing. This really is kind of ghetto since I couldn't find any good t-slot or channel bolts, but it has worked well so far.

2. Where did you get the spring? I haven't seen them at my local Home Depot/

I found them at Home Depot, I actually couldn't find them and then just stumbled upon them. They were in the same section that has all the different hangers for hanging pictures, mirrors, etc... I just used one of the springs that fit over the bolt and then cut the length down with wire cutters till I thought it worked good.

Thanks,

Also, the only reason I glued the clamp and the large piece of steel together, was that it made it much easier to handle and experiment with different bolt/washer/spring combos. The glue doesn't really do anything structurally, just made it much more convenient.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

What a great solution! I have been looking for something like this but never would have come up with this idea. Solid work! Thanks for sharing!!!

slosurfer

Adventurer
I'm glad you guys like it. Make sure you post pics of yours when you get them done. That is what I like the most about places like this. One person comes up with an idea and then others are able to make it even better. The hardest part is getting the bolt to work easily. I actually had it fully mounted a few times, but I didn't like how it wasn't super easy to take on and off. This was the best way that I could come up with using what I had.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Nice work! I just happened to win a couple of quick fists in Farmington this year :jumping: (from a good man on this forum...), so now I've got another idea to consider.

Accrete

Explorer
Great project Chris and thanks for sharing. I've saved your post to my PC for a future build in my TACO.

Sounds like you had a nice trip around Yosemite, i luv that place! Even though i've got some serious bear tales from my ventures there ,-)

Happy Trails,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior