07 Off The Leash Adventure Xterra

Trikebubble

Adventurer
So the installation is complete. I had to pull the axle, reset the c-clip, and re install it to be able to continue. Got the passenger coilover installed this morning, and the rear shocks and new leaf packs and shackles this afternoon. I just need an alignment, but it all feels pretty good. The stance looks better to me now, and the heavy duty springs will sure be a benefit when loading up for adventures or pulling the travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Now that it's all done (except for the alignment) I thought i'd post up some details about what I installed and why.

So living in Canada can make things a lot more costly to source. With the low Canadian dollar and insane shipping/freight charges from the US to Canada we really have to do our homework sometime.
After much research (too much I think) I settled on the Ironman 4x4 Suspension package. I wanted something relatively simple, that I knew would get the job done for me. Their is always a risk of choosing the wrong product, but it can happen with the most expensive suspension components as easily as more budge minded ones from my experience and from what I've seen.

I purchased the Ironman suspension package directly from the Ironman distributor in Calgary. The gal there was more than helpful, and knowledgeable. The kit came with front and rear foam-cell shocks, front heavy duty coils, rear heavy duty leaf springs, non-adjustable shackles, replacement U-bolts, and the bushing kit for the leaf springs. I paid $800 Canadian for the whole kit. (I was quoted as high as $1500 Canadian from other sources for the same kit)
I also purchased the SPC UCA's, 1" top plate coil spacers, new top hats wit hlonger studs pressed into them, and adjustable rear shackles from Nisstec. (I wanted to the adjustable shackles to be able to fine tune my rear ride height more than the non-adjustable ones that came with the Ironman package would allow. The adjustable ones will also give me some adjustability down the road if and when the leaf springs settle. I figured it was worth the investment since I was ordering from Nisstec). With the crap exchange rate, the Nisstec items cost a fair bit, but I knew I needed the SPC UCA's if I wanted to get the job down right. I also had the Nisstec parts shipped to a drop ship place just across the border ans went and picked them up myself, saving the hefty brokerage fees that shippers charge)

First impressions? Well, the Ironman parts seem very well built. The rear leaf spring packs are monstrous. The stock leaf packs cringed and ran away to hide when they saw what was replacing them. The shocks also look very well built, and certainly physically larger than the stock shocks they replaced. The front coil springs are also quite large and beefy. I could not get the regular coil spring compressors in between the coils to compress them myself. The diameter of the coils just prevented it. I had to take the components to a shop to get them assembled. I also purchased new top coil hat rubber rings so that the new coilovers were comprised of 100% new parts. I did not re-use any parts from the stock coilovers.
The SPC UCA's are also very well built. They come with an extra bolt so you can cut the stock one off that cannot easily be removed due to it's proximity to the steering box. I shaved down the coil bucket slightly (as others have done) to eliminate any chance of the rubber boot on the UCA contacting and ripping or tearing it. The Nisstec adjustable rear shackles sure look like a proper piece of kit, again hefty and well made and easily installed.

As she sits now, I've gained 2" at the front and 3" at the rear. I am on the fence about the 1" rake, but will let it ride for a bit to see how much the leaf packs settle. If the rake stays the same I do have the option of replacing the Nisstec adjustable shackles (on the lowest setting now) with the Ironman shackles which are slight shorter. I like options.

Miss X splits her time between being the Wife's daily driver (for now, but that is likely to change soon), towing our travel trailer (I am excited that this new setup will make for a far more capable and stable tow vehicle), a general exploring and adventure vehicle, and her newest incarnation; an overland style capable rig.

She goes in for an alignment on Wednesday, and I'll get the front dif fluid changed out in the next day or two as well. (Just as a precaution as a few ounces of fluid dripped out when the axle pulled out, and I used a fair amount of grease to get that dang C-clip to slide back into place)

I will be installing the ARB bumper and winch during our 4 day Easter long weekend, and if time permits I'll work on the dual battery set-up and complete running the wiring for my new Dometic CF-50 fridge.

I think that about covers it for now. Sorry for the random ramblings.
Cheers.

jhberria

Adventurer
Sounds like things are coming along nicely! I actually prefer a bit of rake front-to-rear as it levels out when loaded down for trips and send to handle better at speed. Obviously everyone has their own aesthetic preferences, though. Looking forward to seeing new pictures of the suspension and post-bumper install!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
It looks like the passenger axle seal may be leaking ever so slightly. I've noticed a couple drops since I had to reinstall the axle. I'm going to order a seal and new c-clip just to be safe. At least I now know that removing the axle isn't too difficult.
Hopefully I'll have the time to get working on the dual battery setup this weekend too. And finish running the wire for the fridge. I have a 4 day long weekend this Easter ( gotta love us Canucks and our extended long weekends).

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The new suspension looks awesome! I'll be interested to hear how it performs. I've heard that Ironman makes some decent suspension kits. Too bad you had a bear of a time with it, but I'm glad you got it all together. The stance looks sweet!

Hopefully those new bits should fix your issue.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Today was bumper day, well Good Friday - bumper day I guess. Everything went smoothly today, I would rate it a 1-beer installation. Got the ARB bumper installed, wired up the fog lights, and bolted on the driving lights. Tomorrow I will wire up the turn signals, and driving lights, maybe get the line run into the winch, then if time permits start in on the dual battery setup. The weather was fantastic so it was easy to send the day outside. I'm pretty stoked about the way it looks, it's hard to figure from looking at pictures but in person looks great, the ARB bumper is a very professional and well designed piece of kit.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Wired up the fog lights, signals and market lights today. Ran my wiring harness for the fridge, the spotlights, and the TMax dual battery display all through the firewall. Connected the winch cables up to the stock battery for the time being. Tomorrow I'll finish the spotlight wiring and start in on the dual battery setup. Maybe install the synthetic winch line too. It's been a productive weekend so far.

jhberria

Adventurer
Looks awesome man! Saw the new pictures on the other site earlier.

Looking back at your suspension install; sweet Jesus those leaf packs are impressive! What load and lift are they rated for, and how are they riding so far?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Looks awesome man! Saw the new pictures on the other site earlier.

Looking back at your suspension install; sweet Jesus those leaf packs are impressive! What load and lift are they rated for, and how are they riding so far?

Hey, just noticed this. sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if they had a weight specific rating, they claim they are "heavy duty". They are a very firm ride, but I don't mind at all. Very stable going around corners now, no body roll to speak of. My last 4x4 was a Jeep TJ, so anything (I mean anything) feels more plush and rides better).
I'm pretty stoked that this new stiffer and stable rear end will make towing our travel trailer better as well. I haven't removed the rear anti-sway bar yet, but I might just to see if their is a noticeable on-road difference.

jhberria

Adventurer
Interesting. No abnormal or obnoxious noises coming from the rear so far? I'm exploring options for when my stock pack and AAL inevitably become too soft for my RTT and camping gear, and would like a third option beyond OME and Alcans.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Nothing form the rear. I am getting an intermittent front end clunk, but I think the links to the front stabilizer are shot. Back end feels good.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Replaced the leaking passenger side axle seal yesterday. Was a pretty straightforward job. I bought a $10 seal puller tool which was worth every penny. My wife just bought a new car ( well a new to her 07 Mini Cooper S) so this allowed a more flexible schedule to get the job done.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
And today was a lazy " let's go exploring and find a place for a picnic" kind of day.
We found a beautiful overlook that offered great views of our Okanagan Lake. It was a really great day. Even has a wee nap in my new ARB chair.

jhberria

Adventurer
Great pictures man! The Xterra has really come along nicely. Question for you: did the ARB fog lights just plug into the OEM fog light harness, or did you have to swap the harness or splice wires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier