06 Tacoma with ATC camper mod.

slooowr6

Explorer
K.C.
You have no idea! It's like kids waiting for Xmas morning.

A pic of the backup light set up. The light output pattern is not as good as I expected. If I put this up front and use as fog lights I'll not be happy. But it's on the back and cost $27 so I'll live with it until I can't stand of it any more. :sombrero:
131194297-M.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Great news! :jumping:

I hope you'll find time to write up a little review and give everyone your impression of All Terrain Campers and your experience working with Ben.

You'll be the first on ExPo with an ATC, how cool is that!

slooowr6

Explorer
Kitty is home!! I'm VERY impressed with the camper, the finish is great. The camper is loaded so it's a little chubby. :cow: Here is a quick shot.
133472992-M.jpg

It's been a long day. I'll post more pic tomorrow.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wow Alex, congratulations!! :clapsmile

I'm really stoked for you and Mrs. slooowr6. And you got it at the perfect time of year with Spring on the horizon and Summer coming soon. Great teaser shot, anxiously awaiting more....:lurk:

slooowr6

Explorer
K.C. thanks!
Here is when I'm ready to hit the road from ATC.
133777378-M.jpg

Tacoma needs AirLift to carry the camper. With 10psi in the bag the leaf spring is getting very close to the bump stop. Currently I've 60psi on the driver side, stove, frige and etc on this side, and 55psi on the passenger side. I need to get higher pressure the head light is still pointing too high. Will put together a more detail review later. Going to Death Valley coming weekend to break in the camper! :elkgrin:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That looks great!! :clapsmile

Great call on the awning option, wish I had one. Man, the new Tacoma body style and ATC make for a sweet looking combo. I bet you two are going to have a blast with that set up. And breaking it in, in Death Valley? An excellent choice for her maiden voyage!

Re the airbags, I run closer to 80-85PSI when loaded with gear, water, etc. on the trail. When in town and unloaded, I usually keep them at 50-60PSI. And I do the same thing, 5-10PSI more on the driver's side. My camper is off the truck right now and I still keep the bags at 40-50PSI. Probably overkill but I like the way the truck handles with some air in the bags.

Congrats again Alex. I think you scored BIG time!

slooowr6

Explorer
We are looking forward to all the trips to come :wings: with furnace and a semi-hard shell this should be a four season camping setup, so I hope.
The awning is something I struggle a little, it's $$ but at the end my wife said just get it this is our dream come true why skim on it. I'm glad I got it, it should work good when camping in open area. The options in the camper are, fridge, furnace, house battery, power roof vent, awning, rear light, screen door, wall steps, yakima tracks and a custom inverter/charger set up. I bought a Tripp-Lite 1250w inverter/charger and sent it to ATC, they help me setup the whole system without any addition charge. The charger is a 3 stages smart charger. When hook up to the 110v shore power it will charge the house battery automatically and switch the 110v outlet to shore, bypass the inverter. The plan is to get a small generator in the future if needed. With generator all I need to do is connect the shore 110 to the the generator, I can use 110 and charge the house battery at the same time.
There is a lot of creature comfort build into the camper and I'm paying the price in weight. :oops: Oh well, I'm getting old and don't really want to roughing it too much. :shakin: I'll remove the floor jacks when travel and that'll save 100+lbs, each is 25+lbs.
133892892-M.jpg

133893034-M.jpg

Camper is 72" side to side.
133892764-M.jpg

133892918-M.jpg

slooowr6

Explorer
Back from Death Valley.
First time got the Kitty Tacoma on to dirt road, we made it to the famous junction in one piece. :sombrero: :safari-rig:
135558286-M.jpg

Another update on AirLift, with 70psi/60psi in them after 1400 miles trip. No problem at all! :wings:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice! :bowdown:

Glad the shakedown cruise through Death Valley went so well. That road from Tea Kettle Junction into the Racetrack is a good test of any suspension system.

Anxiously awaiting more pics and impressions! :lurk:

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
slooowr6 your ATC and Taco look excellent. I have travelled for many years with campers from a '73 Datsun with a Sixpack to my current '99 F250 SD 7.3 with a Lance 850. Been over most of continental US to Deadhorse Alaska. For traveling day-in and day-out you cannot beat a pickup camper.

Your decision for air bags was perfect. I run 95psi driver side and 65psi passenger. They have served me well. I only wonder how long they will last. They are pretty cracked, but still holding.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

CLynn85

Explorer
That camper looks perfect up there. Glad it made the test run just fine. Sure you'll enjoy many years of use with it.

slooowr6

Explorer
Ridgewalker said:
slooowr6 your ATC and Taco look excellent. I have travelled for many years with campers from a '73 Datsun with a Sixpack to my current '99 F250 SD 7.3 with a Lance 850. Been over most of continental US to Deadhorse Alaska. For traveling day-in and day-out you cannot beat a pickup camper.

Your decision for air bags was perfect. I run 95psi driver side and 65psi passenger. They have served me well. I only wonder how long they will last. They are pretty cracked, but still holding.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Thanks! It's a very versatile setup, I can camp at Sunset campground in Death Valley, the place is full of class A RV, or in a remote off road national forest site.
RW, you run 95/65psi on you truck do you use adjustable shocks like Rancho 9000 and adjust it differently for the driver side and passenger side?

slooowr6

Explorer
CLynn85 said:
That camper looks perfect up there. Glad it made the test run just fine. Sure you'll enjoy many years of use with it.
Carl, thanks! It take some time to get use to the camper for sure. We have got our routine down for using the VW Westy. Now it's time to get our routine down for the ATC.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
slooowr6 said:
Thanks! It's a very versatile setup, I can camp at Sunset campground in Death Valley, the place is full of class A RV, or in a remote off road national forest site.
RW, you run 95/65psi on you truck do you use adjustable shocks like Rancho 9000 and adjust it differently for the driver side and passenger side?

I do not use Rancho 9000s, but it would help. I still have the OEM shocks. I have 120,000+ miles on it and just got new batteries last fall after having trouble starting it at -5 degrees. The SD has been a great truck, but it is expensive now that diesel has gone up and they went from $55 for and oil change to $85...OUCH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94