'06 GMC K2500 Buildup

1stDeuce

Explorer
I considered all those things, but they only matter when the motorcycle carrier isn't mounted, and I don't plan to have them installed when it's not there. With the rack and bike on the nose, the rack is by FAR the limit, so where the stuff behind it is doesn't matter at all. Plus, it was easier to build this way. :)

I wanted to weld the receivers into the hi-lift pockets of the ARB, since they fit there so nice, but I'd have had to pull the bumper to get the welding done right. Not interested.

Even if I lower the carrier another 2", it'll be higher than my harbor freight carrier was when I ran it upside-down so I could see over my XR400... And I didn't have any issues with that setup when I was in Moab and looking for a campsite in the outback north of Arches. That was about as rough a road as I care to travel with this rig loaded like I plan to load it.

This front carrier is for an upcoming trip to Baja, where we'll use the truck/camper as base, and the bikes to do our exploring. :)

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Looks good. I like the idea of the bike on the front: I personally like keeping an eye on all cargo I can.

justcuz

Explorer
You're late to the party... OP was talking about the C-channel frame, I think. (IIRC he was a Dodge guy... they have boxed frames on the later trucks. The GM frame is boxed only where it needs to be.)

I thought so too, but he seems to be a Chevy and Ford guy. He has a pretty nicely built square body diesel Suburban.
I looked at everything you had posted up to that point and figured he must have seen the hole in the bumper and thought it was the frame.
He has not been back so we can't ask him.

Keep up the good work!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Almost forget that I had to put the rear slider window in before the camper... Cut the solid window out this morning, straightened the back wall of the cab where it had been bowed in since I bought the truck. (Why the window hadn't popped I'll never know... You could see a very visible dent in the bottom of the window...)

A little sctochbrite on the slider flange, and then a good bead of U-428+ Dow urethane, and the wife and I set it in place and clipped it. No problem!! (This was my second slider install... Hardest part is cutting the old window out with a utility knife! The CR Lawrence sliders come with clips to hold them in place... You don't even have to tape them! It fits and works very nice!!

(Sorry, no pics... We were in GSD mode... :)

After putting the trim back in place on the inside, we dropped the camper in the bed. Rear is a good inch higher than I thought it would be! It's empty and dry right now, so it might settle another inch or so loaded for the trip, but that'll put it right about where I ran it with the airbags. Spring change = Awesome! :wings:

Front :roost: carrier is done and the paint is drying. I lowered it another inch from the pics I posted yesterday by setting it down into the square tube. Drove it around some and I can see just fine.

I've started tacking together the rear carrier after figuring how far back it needed to sit. (Center of rail ~42" behind receivers!)

Since we'll be in Baja for Holy Week and Easter, I figure the chances of needing a little more fuel are higher than normal. I pulled the tailgate before loading the camper this time (I've always left it on) to make a bit more room and shed some weight. I'm planning to build a rack into the carrier, right up against the bumper. It should hold three 5-gallon cans, and a small gas grill, hopefully! Might even be able to sneak in a few camp chairs. :)

I'll hit the scale on the way out of town, but I'm thinking it'll probably be a smidge over the 9200lb GVW... :Wow1:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Looks great! I'm pretty heart set on finding a hallmark camper for mine, next option would be a four wheel camper. So another trip to Colorado is in my future, good campers are hard to find any closer for me.

Next time you do a back glass, buy yourself a "cold pull knife", they are somewhere in the $10-20 range and you can pull most of the glass from the outside on these trucks in about 10 minutes.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I actually bought one of those, but it was China Junk form Ebay. The blade wasn't hardened enough to do anything, it would just bend. Looked like a good tool. I complained and they sent me a second, and I bent the blade with my fingers and tossed it in the trash.

Even out in Colorado, the Hallmark campers are not that easy to come by. And the older ones like mine often need some help... Mine lived outside it's whole life, so there's quite a bit of rot, even though it was in a fairly dry climate. Find one that was stored inside, and you're much better off.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Even though I'm not a GM guy, I'm a gearhead who loved reading this thread, all the great mods, upgrades, and camper setups...subscribed! :)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Baja was awesome! We were planning to go again this spring but bought property and we're building instead. Want to go next April?

Haven't done much to the truck aside from a set of 255/80R17 STMaxx's and more miles. Oh, and lots of mud inside from working on our property... good thing it doesn't have carpet!!
245k miles. Hour meter reset again. It was about 6000 the first time + about 2000 this time, so 8000 hours... Just getting broke in. :)

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Baja was awesome! We were planning to go again this spring but bought property and we're building instead. Want to go next April?

Haven't done much to the truck aside from a set of 255/80R17 STMaxx's and more miles. Oh, and lots of mud inside from working on our property... good thing it doesn't have carpet!!
245k miles. Hour meter reset again. It was about 6000 the first time + about 2000 this time, so 8000 hours... Just getting broke in. :)

Sorry I missed your response.

I would love to, we'll have to see how next year looks.

That is awesome on the mileage. I'm at 151k and it runs perfectly. I love this truck.
Jack

Andrew_S

Observer
I don't know how I haven't seen this thread. Seriously like our dream set up in the future. Score on that bumper! Definitely will be watching for more updates in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles