06-08 Ram 1500 mega cab vs 09+ f150 supercrew

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
At some point soon I plan to replace our Yukon with another truck, we love the Yukon but I miss having a truck with slide-in camper. The trucks I am debating between are the 06-08 Ram 1500 mega cab and the 09+ f150 supercrew with 6.5 ft bed. In the Ram the leather package Laramie leaves much to be desired so likely stick with the SLT trim, and in the f150 it will likely be the King Ranch package. Seems like both will allow for a lightweight camper and tow our boat well enough, but looking for feedback preferably from those are more familiar with both.

polishammer

So I have 2006 Ram Megacab 2500 diesel. Had it since new. 1500 Megacab of those years is the same as 2500 except softer springs and Hemi V8 engine. Comparing to f150, MegaCab will have much, much more room in the cabin. Also, since technically it is a 2500 chassis, it will be stronger and have solid axle up front.
My came in an SLT trim as well and I put leather seat covers and like them a lot.
Never had a Ford, but I do love the room of the MegaCab. On the other hand, Fords interior will be much nicer than Ram of that vintage.

Grassland

Im a Ford guy, and the last thing I want in a vehicle is an older high trim Ford truck. If you said XLT or lower, id holler ford.
( leaking sunroofs, failed cooling seats, exploding rear windows, all on top of the usual Ford BS of failing speaker harnesses in the doors, rusting cab corners, and leaking third brake lights) As well, around here the people buying Lariat and higher tend to be people who fully intent to trade them in after 3 or 4 years, and don't particularly care about how long the truck will last, and aren't necessarily concerned about ensuring maintenance and repairs are getting done when they need to.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Im a Ford guy, and the last thing I want in a vehicle is an older high trim Ford truck. If you said XLT or lower, id holler ford.
( leaking sunroofs, failed cooling seats, exploding rear windows, all on top of the usual Ford BS of failing speaker harnesses in the doors, rusting cab corners, and leaking third brake lights) As well, around here the people buying Lariat and higher tend to be people who fully intent to trade them in after 3 or 4 years, and don't particularly care about how long the truck will last, and aren't necessarily concerned about ensuring maintenance and repairs are getting done when they need to.

I bought my last 3 vehicles from the original owners with full service records, and I used to do vehicle inspections, so you could call me an educated consumer.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yesterday I took the boat out and my buddy suggested we take his truck, it's a 2011 XLT with the 5.0 and 6.5 foot bed. He knows I have been researching trucks and had me drive his truck, all I can say is I love the tow/haul mode, had plenty of power to tow the boat and the programmed engine braking was amazing. Towing at 70mph his truck averaged 10.8 mpg, that's 2 mpg better than our GMC, pretty awesome considering the boat and trailer weigh 5k pounds and have a taller profile than the truck with a lot of wind resistance. We live at 4800ft elevation and have some pretty big hills here in Utah, that 5.0 and 6-speed automatic did better than expected.

phsycle

Adventurer
Comparing to f150, MegaCab will have much, much more room in the cabin.

Specs I see don’t seem like THAT much:
Megacab Vs F150
Rear headroom: 40.5 vs 40.3
Rear hip: 64.4 vs 64.6
Rear leg: 44.2 vs 43.5
Rear shoulder: 66.5 vs 65.5

Although, the Megacab has the recline feature which would be Awesome.

ckupq

Observer
I would add does the Megacab have creature features you want. I went from an 05 Sierra SLE to a 05 cummins. I some of the old creature comfort that I had just aren't there or weren't available until you got to a high end truck. I miss my steering wheel buttons for radio control, heated seats and auto tint mirrors the most. FWIW I bought this full knowing what I wasn't getting but I still miss them.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have bought the '12 sierra 2500 I was looking at because it came with the options I thought I'd never need till I wanted them. Now I'm going to have to go aftermarket for some of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke