05+ Tacoma: Known Issue - Failed Supports for Composite Box

Dipodomys

Observer
That's a bummer. Let's face it folks, the 2005+ Tacoma's are not a heavy duty platform. I love mine, but I am very much aware of its limitations. The frame is light duty, the composite bed looks to almost certainly promise long-term durability issues, and a number of other areas on the truck are decidedly light weight. An FJ40 it is not. Surprisingly, even with all of these weight-saving measures it still gets pretty crummy gas mileage. I average about 17.5 miles per gallon with mine and I have never surpassed 18.5. Meanwhile, one of my coworker's recently bought a 2009 crewcab 4x4 F-150. It has a V-8 and is a much larger truck and on a her first long trip she got 22 mpg. What gives, Toyota? And when are we going to get a freakin' turbo diesel in this country?

It would seem that the key to long-term durability for these machines is keeping the weight down. It is something that many of us ignore. Camping gear used to consist of a Coleman stove and an ice chest, but now it seems to require hundreds of pounds of stuff. Modifications and permanently-mounted accessories add to the burden. I put an ARB bull bar and a winch on mine. It looks cool but I wonder how it will all hold up in the long run.

Fortunately, when I first bought my truck I got some good advice from an honest accessory dealer. I was considering a heavy steel ladder rack mounted under a camper shell. He told me to forget it. The composite bed and the frame mounting just aren't up to it. I went with an aluminum commercial-grade shell instead with no rack. I also bagged plans for mounting a rooftop tent. I just take a cot instead, and when it rains I fold down the tailgate and sleep in the back. Not very sexy, I know, and not very Out-of Africa-like ("he even took the gramophone on safari") but I think I'll survive. It's kind of like backpacking with a vehicle.

Tom Sheppard has written a series of excellent articles in Overland Journal about expedition travel in the Sahara. He has about 45 years of offroading experience to my 20, so I figure he knows a thing or two. He is an evangelist about keeping weight down, and he has an absolute rule about never mounting anything on the outside of the vehicle. He maintains these rules even with his older G-wagon, which is a decidedly beefier platform than the Tacoma. Sounds like a drag for all of us modern gear heads, but I guess trade-offs are what its all about, and we all know that you can't have everything. Or do we?;)

robert

Expedition Leader
Yeah, yet another issue with this generation of Tacos. What a load of crap. We have failing motor mounts, failing beds, failing rear ends, failing rear springs, cab squeaks, bearing problems, clutch problems, brake problems, paint chipping, tailgates that can't support weight, etc. These are only some of the TSBs out there. If you can think of it, someone has had issues with it already. The NTSBs list of problems with the Tacos is already long.

Toyota rushed headlong in an effort to pass GMC in sales and it shows in poor quality.

As much as I like the convenience of the access cab, I miss my 1995.5 Taco. The only way I get 17mpg is on real gas and driving around 60mph- ethanol drops my mileage to around 14.5-15mpg.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
And still, in spite of these issues, I have a big old grin on my face every time I drive it ;)

It has taken me anywhere I've ever pointed it and then some. All makes and models have their "known issues"... Just ask the Jeep and Rover crowd :)

Dipodomys

Observer
Still love my Tacoma

And still, in spite of these issues, I have a big old grin on my face every time I drive it ;)

It has taken me anywhere I've ever pointed it and then some. All makes and models have their "known issues"... Just ask the Jeep and Rover crowd :)

No doubt about that. It's a very capable machine and I can't think of any other vehicle of its type available in the U.S. that I would even consider buying. It has a few weaknesses, but most of those can probably be avoided with a little care. I just turned 45,000 miles on mine and have had zero problems. Many other makes could never make that claim. I hope my good fortune stays with me, and we'll see what the long term has in store.

I ended up with 225,000 miles on my '84 4x4 Toyota pickup before I finally sold it, and it was still in fine shape. I put a new engine and tranny in it at 186,000 miles (not bad), but the rest of the truck was rock solid. No cracked frames, body panels, etc. The '84 was, in fact, much beefier than my 2008 Tacoma. But it was also underpowered and was much smaller. It was definitely a "mini-truck". The Tacoma seems to be a good compromise and overall is a substantial improvement. Yeah, it's not as beefy as it could be, but I still love it. I'll just drive like a grandpa and maybe I'll get 200,000 out of it.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
What's up with the K-rat genus as a handle? Are you a small mammal enthusiast/biologist? My wife and I are field biologists, is why I ask.

Yeah, its a safe bet that you'll get 200k plus out of a well-maintainted Taco. My '89 pickup was close to 200k when I traded it in on my '98 Ex-cab Taco (which I have had since I bought it new and put 230k on it already. And my '03 D-cab has 122k on it and still runs great. These trucks are incredibly reliable. We only own 2 vehicles as a family and they're both Tacos. Totally satisfied. And we're not planning on selling either of these two trucks any time soon. I am hoping to get 300k out of the '98. We'll see.

Good info. Saw this over on TTORA too.

Yup, still love my Tacoma. The rear end problem does not apply to me, along with a host of other TSB's so no skin off my back. I LOVE the composite bed, why... NO RUST problems. All my old trucks rusted through the bed first. I have only one gripe...the interior. Too much cloth and most of it is not really holding up as well as it should be. The inside is falling apart.

I'll be watching for the composite bed problem. Thanks for posting this here.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
My old Taco had ~180,000 miles on it before it was totaled; current one has about 78,000. I'm still a Toyota fan, but they really could have done a much better job on the new Tacos- especially considering how they initially advertised them.

On a side note- anyone else notice that damn near every bolt/nut/etc under the hood is rusting and all of the aluminum parts are oxidizing? We don't have snow here (haven't since I've owned the truck anyways although I've driven it in the snow a few times in NC), I'm over 120 miles from the ocean and I don't drive in the mud so the only water really getting under the hood is from driving in the rain.

tacollie

Glamper
As much as I hated mine it is the only newer vehichle offered right now I would buy. It had a lot of problems but was still way better than the wrangler and rovers we had.

buel09

Yeah, yet another issue with this generation of Tacos. What a load of crap. We have failing motor mounts, failing beds, failing rear ends, failing rear springs, cab squeaks, bearing problems, clutch problems, brake problems, paint chipping, tailgates that can't support weight, etc. These are only some of the TSBs out there. If you can think of it, someone has had issues with it already. The NTSBs list of problems with the Tacos is already long.

Toyota rushed headlong in an effort to pass GMC in sales and it shows in poor quality.

As much as I like the convenience of the access cab, I miss my 1995.5 Taco. The only way I get 17mpg is on real gas and driving around 60mph- ethanol drops my mileage to around 14.5-15mpg.

why are toyotas referred as tacos, or am i missing something

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I inspected mine. I have a very small crack on each side.

My plan: Run it till it breaks ;)

I dont think this is a big deal and the shell should actually add stability IMO. If it worsens, I'll get it plated and welded.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
How much longer are they going to keep this platform? Shouldn't it be about done? Would love to see a steel bed along with rear disc brakes.

Sojourn

Wanderer
The current platform will carry over through model year 2014 at least, only a minor model refresh for 2012. Refresh means basically only trim parts change. A brave move on Toyota's part given that the Tacoma is their only appartent viable (from a sales volume standpoint) truck in the US/Canada. I stopped short of saying North America since you can purchase a Hilux in Mexico. For what it is worth, starting in March next year most Tacomas will be built at TMMTX, San Antonio (NUMMI in Fremont will be another casuality of the current NA Auto Industry). TMMBC (Tecate,MX) builds 25,000 of the ~200,000 Tacomas built each year. TMMTX currently produces only Tundras. I would not look for all metal Tacoma beds or drive trains to hold up to the rigors past models would anytime soon. Toyota has their work cut out for them, to reconnect with what made them "Toyota".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online