05+ Tacoma Dual Battery Location

CLynn85

Explorer
So I've been planning on doing a dual batt setup for a while now. With the winch, aux in the cab, etc, but most importantly, the various camper setups, I figured it was time. I ordered up a warn isolator, but I'm having a hard time locating the second battery. I don't really want to do the dual setup in place of the big stocker, and I have ABS so there's not the nice spot on the passenger side that some others have used.

I did, however, find that a group 51 would fit behind the fuse block in front of the brake master cyl if you relocate the relay box like so (ignore the crappy night-time cell phone pics):

IMG_20110728_210206.jpg
IMG_20110728_210211.jpg

It will sit a little nicer if there was a tray, was cocked due to the curve of the inner fender.

Has anyone tried this setup before? I know optima makes a yellow top in D51 configuration, are there any other deep cycles in this group size?

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Battery location

I'm faced with the same dilema and also don't think I'd do the dual batteries in place of the single factory battery. I haven't really begun a search but now knowing it is possible to squeeze a group 51 battery in there I will give it more thought.

I'll wait for further.

It's like your a trail blazer for this particular set up...

Ed

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Do tell, why the reserve on mounting two batteries in the stock location with a new mount? Been done many a times without fail.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I have two optima batteries mounted in the stock location using the Columbia Overland kit in my 2009 Taco, Works awsome, I also bought the isolator & charging kit from them too.

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Dual batteries in the stock location - why not?

For me it's the initial investment -

Option #1 $150+ for the Columbia Overland mount plus two new batteries - Option #2 one battery.

ED

cruiseroutfit

For me it's the initial investment -

Option #1 $150+ for the Columbia Overland mount plus two new batteries - Option #2 one battery.

ED

Gotcha, option#2 is still going to require some mounting parts no? $150 is fair for what they offer but you could absolutely build your own for the same $20 your going to spend for a mounting parts and additional battery cable for your option# 2. I've done a handful of dual bats in Tacoma's and 4Runners in the stock location, I've never been more than $10 for the steel to build the trays, just hours and hours of time :D

Do you have any pics of mounting 2 full size batts in a 2nd gen Tacoma? I attempted this a month ago or so, welding up a new tray that would support the 2 batts next to each other, even relocated the fuse box but the fit was just too tight and I scraped the project for now. Dual batts is on the top of my list though.

cruiseroutfit

Do you have any pics of mounting 2 full size batts in a 2nd gen Tacoma? I attempted this a month ago or so, welding up a new tray that would support the 2 batts next to each other, even relocated the fuse box but the fit was just too tight and I scraped the project for now. Dual batts is on the top of my list though.

2 Optimas in stock location using a tray we built:

View attachment 28951

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
photograph

What year model vehicle is the photograph? The 2006 Tacoma is pretty darned small area occcupied by the factory battery. I saw the Overland tray with two Odyssey batteries but again pretty pricey - though I'm not arguing the value of these batteries.

In my earlier response I did not mention cables/switches because I figure I'll need that stuff with either version.

Ed

CLynn85

Explorer
For me it's a couple things.

1 - I don't see the obsession with replacing every g-d battery with an optima. I've had lead acid batteries in all my trucks and they've never failed me when replaced at a reasonable interval or when they started showing signs of decay. My dad always used the same large lead acid batteries and it never stranded us in the woods either. I like the idea of having a plain old $80-100 starting battery that'll last 5-6 years rather than a $200 optima that may not even make it that long seeing some of the recent reports.

2 - I like the Columbia Overland tray, but they're dang pricey. I could probably build my own, but that would result in having to buy 2 batteries, rather than the one I need to add.

3 - I like doing something different, and I tend to stick to the KISS principle.

4 - It looks really cramped with the two batts in the stock location.

cruiseroutfit

What year model vehicle is the photograph? The 2006 Tacoma is pretty darned small area occcupied by the factory battery...

I don't recall exactly what year that truck is, 2nd gen Tacoma for sure, I've done them in several ranging years, no differences to my knowledge.

...I like the idea of having a plain old $80-100 starting battery that'll last 5-6 years rather than a $200 optima that may not even make it that long seeing some of the recent reports.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm a fan of Optimas, I never pay more than $150 for them and I've got a 11 year old Yellowtop and 6 year old Redtop in my 40, zoer issues. I run Odysseys in my Tacoma as they have a very small casing allowing a similar dual fit in the stock location.

...3 - I like doing something different, and I tend to stick to the KISS principle.

4 - It looks really cramped with the two batts in the stock location.

The batteries don't seem to mind the cramping ;)

Pretty hard to beat the simplicity of short cable runs particularly under the hood of a vehicle with little room for other battery mounting locations. I find it somewhat humorous I'm having to stand up for the option that is the most realistic for most :D If you have a better place to mount it, go for it... As many of my customers have showers, welders, air compressors, etc under the hood... the stock location is not only suitable but ideal.

CLynn85

Explorer
I don't recall exactly what year that truck is, 2nd gen Tacoma for sure, I've done them in several ranging years, no differences to my knowledge.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm a fan of Optimas, I never pay more than $150 for them and I've got a 11 year old Yellowtop and 6 year old Redtop in my 40, zoer issues. I run Odysseys in my Tacoma as they have a very small casing allowing a similar dual fit in the stock location.

The batteries don't seem to mind the cramping ;)

Pretty hard to beat the simplicity of short cable runs particularly under the hood of a vehicle with little room for other battery mounting locations.

I do see the simplicity behind slamming them side by side and the idea of putting them there does appeal to me, I just don't "need" to upgrade my starting battery just for the sake of upgrading, what I do need is a second battery to run accessories/12V truck camper.

I must say, I didn't realize you could still get optima's around $150, as everywhere that sells them locally is closer to $200. Maybe I'll take a second look at doing a red/yellow combo and build my own tray. I am a bit timid after some of the recent reports I've read on sub-par optimas, though.

Thanks for the good input, it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I guess I was fortunate with my 2006 in that the ABS system was crammed in next to the BMC on the driver side, leaving a huge space on the passenger fender to fit a second battery. I think it was only the Tacomas with TRAC that had this setup?

CLynn85

Explorer
I guess I was fortunate with my 2006 in that the ABS system was crammed in next to the BMC on the driver side, leaving a huge space on the passenger fender to fit a second battery. I think it was only the Tacomas with TRAC that had this setup?

Bummer, that would've made thing really easy.

fire931

Adventurer

I think in the earlier years it was the ones with TRAC that were like that, now its only the offroad models that have ATRAC that are like that. I just finished up designing a dual battery tray for the stock location myself that will hold two group 34 optimas. Its a tight fit for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles