05+ Tacoma Dual Battery Location

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
CLynn, since you already have a big battery up front have you thought about just putting another big battery somewhere in the camper to run it's power? You can easily run a charge line to it (the bigger the better, with a fuse of course) through a simple relay that powers on with the ignition. That's the way the trailer charge line works on my tow plug.....

CLynn85

Explorer
CLynn, since you already have a big battery up front have you thought about just putting another big battery somewhere in the camper to run it's power? You can easily run a charge line to it (the bigger the better, with a fuse of course) through a simple relay that powers on with the ignition. That's the way the trailer charge line works on my tow plug.....

Jim, why yes, yes I have. That's the way all our campers have been in the past. The problem I have with that, though, is that our camping setup is more, umm, "fluid" than most, being that every single year it changes. It also doesn't help when the camper is not on the truck. At least that's the thought process that has led me to the dual battery setup, once again.

soundman1463

Expedition Padawan
I know this is a revival of an older thread, but, what's the smallest amount of CCA from a battery that's needed to start a 2nd gen. Tacoma?

zolo

Explorer
I run 2 Optima's in the stock location in my 06. I simply drilled out the spot welds on the old battery tray and welded in a new support piece for 2 battery's and made a new hold down. Its nicer in that location cause the charge wire to the fuse panel is right there and the wiring is simpler and cleaner. Even mounted my secondary fuse panel in the same area.

Had it all finished in one evening. The most costly part is buying the battery's and the Hellroaring isolator.

Dirtytires

Explorer
^^ I like that set up. I dnt think they would both fit in my Tacoma side by side. I have plenty of room on the passenger fender. I thouht
about puting the Air pump there.

001.JPG

Switch

Observer
So I've been planning on doing a dual batt setup for a while now. With the winch, aux in the cab, etc, but most importantly, the various camper setups, I figured it was time. I ordered up a warn isolator, but I'm having a hard time locating the second battery. I don't really want to do the dual setup in place of the big stocker, and I have ABS so there's not the nice spot on the passenger side that some others have used.

I did, however, find that a group 51 would fit behind the fuse block in front of the brake master cyl if you relocate the relay box like so (ignore the crappy night-time cell phone pics):

View attachment 67028
View attachment 67029

It will sit a little nicer if there was a tray, was cocked due to the curve of the inner fender.

Has anyone tried this setup before? I know optima makes a yellow top in D51 configuration, are there any other deep cycles in this group size?

I put a 2nd battery and aux fuse block in that position. It was easy to fabricate the mount for the battery. Some pics here: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67738

upcountry

Explorer
Why add a second battery at all, why not get the BIGGEST battery that will fit in the stock position, add a three position bus block for the following:

1)Exisitng Alternator connection
2)Existing Factory fuse block connection
3)New Aux fuse block connection

On #3 (new Fuse block), include a low voltage cutoff switch between the fuse block and the bus block to maintain reserve starting power.

I really dont see the need to having two batteries unless you really plan to run your battery down between charges. Having one bigger battery may be good enough for most uses. But, I am usually so tired I pass out by 7 PM so I dont need a lot of "late night ambience", for that I have a camp fire. Up early, to bed early. No need for lots of backup power.

Need to watch TV or DVD? BLue-Ray is nice but a good book is better.

Need to use that microwave? Eat it cold out of a can.

Need to see in the dark? It's more challenging to fix it by feel.

Just sayin.....this is where we cross the line from adventure to luxury.

More breakable parts, more parts will break.

The one thing we ALL need is cold beer.

Last edited:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
This is what I did. I did not like the idea of cramming two batt in front and adding extra weight to front corner of truck since taco allready leans to that side. Plus save weight for bumper and winch in front.

Where are the batteries?
enginebattswtch.jpg

DSCF3844.jpg

Maybe there in that box?
DSCF3834.jpg

There they are.
DSCF3832.jpg

Cam-shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member