04 Sequoia suspension (budget)

2004, 191k stock suspension. In the shop this week for timing belt, water pump, ect. I know the suspension is beat. It has a spacer up front with a diff drop and that's it. Back is sagging pretty bad. Eventually I'll be towing a 6x12 cargo trailer converted to a camper and occasionally a utility trailer. Will say 3500# max. 2 adults and 3 kids. Eventually bumpers and skids. Not a daily driver but want something simple and reliable that will be able to handle a load. As budget minded as possible. A little firmer ride unloaded is acceptable and I'm not looking for crazy articulation. Where do I need to look? Thanks.

JDsJeep

My question was worded wrong. I'm aware of OME, dobinson, bilstein, spc . I was curiousif anyone had any budget options that would work for my stated intention of this vehicle. Thanks.

Bumpers and skids can end up weighing a lot on top of needing to tow. You're looking at heavy duty front springs, heavy rear springs plus air bags. Upper extended travel control arms and lower control arms or bushings only, OEM ball joints, the rear bushings for the rear suspension for what your intentions are. If you're looking at budget, do the replacement items with no lift but you will still need heavier springs F&R and rear bags at least. Being budget minded and doing it correctly are difficult to juggle. I've been "budget" friendly with my upgrades and so far I'm in the $2500 range for parts. Luckily I don't have to worry about labor because I'm a certified mechanic, but if you are not doing your own install, easily 5k parts plus install.

smokeysevin

Observer
If you don't mind used parts, coilovers can be picked up cheaply and rebuilt. I got my donahoe racing (icon) coilovers for $150 shipped, I replaced the shafts, seals, wear bands, and oil for about $200.

Honestly though, I would spend money on maintenance parts first to make sure anything you do down the road is on a good foundation.

Sean

Reactions: GTV

tennesseewj

Observer
Seems like the most budget friendly option is to just run what you have and add airbags in the back if needed for the trailer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. Probably not doing a 5k suspension on a 4k truck. I would like to be able to, but it isnt in the cards.

Wasn't there LC takeoffs that were an option? Adding lift and load capacity?

GTV

Wasn't there LC takeoffs that were an option? Adding lift and load capacity?

LC 100 Series springs will swap directly in and give you about 2" of lift. Make sure you get non AHC springs. Check the classifieds on ih8mud.com for some cheap springs that someone pulled out of their LC. Use Bilstein 4600 shocks in the rear. Not 5100's, the ones marketed for Sequoia's are actually designed for an FJ Cruiser and are too short.
For the front remove the spacer and use Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks set on the 3rd notch (1 3/4" lift). Remove the diff drop (it does nothing in our application).
Most commonly used tire is a 285/70/17. They will fit on your stock rims (assuming you have 17's) with 1.25" spacers. Don't cheap out on spacers, they must be hub centric. Bora and Spidertrax are popular spacers and can be found second hand easily. Mud flaps will need to be removed and you'll need to take a hammer to the pinch weld behind the front tires. No big deal.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
LC 100 Series springs will swap directly in and give you about 2" of lift. Make sure you get non AHC springs. Check the classifieds on ih8mud.com for some cheap springs that someone pulled out of their LC. Use Bilstein 4600 shocks in the rear. Not 5100's, the ones marketed for Sequoia's are actually designed for an FJ Cruiser and are too short.
For the front remove the spacer and use Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks set on the 3rd notch (1 3/4" lift). Remove the diff drop (it does nothing in our application).
Most commonly used tire is a 285/70/17. They will fit on your stock rims (assuming you have 17's) with 1.25" spacers. Don't cheap out on spacers, they must be hub centric. Bora and Spidertrax are popular spacers and can be found second hand easily. Mud flaps will need to be removed and you'll need to take a hammer to the pinch weld behind the front tires. No big deal.

X2,

@GTV. That's what I was thinking about. Except 255/80r17 with spidertrax spacers.
Thanks for reminding me about the shocks. I had read that (maybe in Sal`s thread) and forgotten. I'll start looking on mud.

smokeysevin

Observer
I actually have a pair of spidertrax spacers I am not using, one needs a single stud replaced. I also have a new unused g2 spacer set that is ready to go. Both are hubcentric for the tundra/seq

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles