02 MONTERO XLS STEERING RACK REMOVAL/INSTALL

claysnfeathers

MY STEERING RACK ASSY STARTED TO LEAK PS FLUID DRIVER SIDE BELLOW ABOUT A WEEK AGO, PURCHASED A REFURBISHED ASSY ON EBAY. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR ANY DIY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION OF THE RACK BUT TO NO AVAIL. HERE ARE SOME PICTURES AND TIPS ON HOW TO. HOPE THIS HELPS!

YOU WILL NEED BASIC TOOLS AND SOME SPECIAL TOOLS FOR THIS JOB.
-CROWFOOT WRENCES
-DEEP SOCKETS ALL METRIC
-HAMMER
-AND SOME BASIC TOOLS IN THE GARAGE.

STEP 1
REMOVE BATTERY AND BATTERY TRAY TO ACCESS THE PS LINES AND THE STEERING COLUMN NUT. (crowfoot wrenches recommended 17mm)
IMG_1134.JPG

STEP 2
DISCONNECT OUTER TIRE ROD END OFF THE KNUCKLE FOR BOTH SIDE.

STEP 3
REMOVE DRIVER SIDE CV AXLE AND REMOVE THE BRACKET THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE FRONT DIFF.
IMG_1137.JPG

STEP 4
PULL THE RACK ASSEMBLY OUT AND INSTALL THE NEW ONE!
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Hey Claysnfeathers (or anyone who knows about the Gen 3) do you recall the axle nut size? I need to remove my front CV axles to install some new boots. I looked in the FSM but it lacks little details like that sometimes. I am sure I will have to buy a socket solo so I would like to get it right the first time.
Thanks

claysnfeathers

Hey Claysnfeathers (or anyone who knows about the Gen 3) do you recall the axle nut size? I need to remove my front CV axles to install some new boots. I looked in the FSM but it lacks little details like that sometimes. I am sure I will have to buy a socket solo so I would like to get it right the first time.
Thanks

This is the one that i used to take the axle nut off. 1 3/16" goodluck! I can lend you mine if you want to come pick it up in Buena Park.
IMG_0242.JPG

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I checked last night and it measure out at about 36mm. I will probably stop at Home Depot or someplace to grab one. I will hit you up if I need to come borrow it.
Thank you,

MrBahb

Just did this a few months ago and I wanted to add that it is possible to remove and install the steering rack without removing the pumpkin. It takes some work, but you can squeeze the rack down and up through through the space between the pumpkin heat fins and the subframe by pulling down/pushing up and rotating. You're looking for a sweet spot as you move the rack left and right and spin it.

swsuhovecky

Just did this a few months ago and I wanted to add that it is possible to remove and install the steering rack without removing the pumpkin. It takes some work, but you can squeeze the rack down and up through through the space between the pumpkin heat fins and the subframe by pulling down/pushing up and rotating. You're looking for a sweet spot as you move the rack left and right and spin it.

Where did you purchase your rack? Was it a genuine Mitsubishi rack or an OEM replacement. I am looking based on the MR374892 product code. Also, are any additional parts needed to complete? I'm trying to gauge whether I should attempt this install or just pay to have it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94