01 montero limited brake question

coffeegoat

Adventurer
When I replaced my HBB I didn't have to do anything special to rebleed the system, and of the 5-10 different threads I read regarding it, I don't recall any others using a vacuum bleeder. Not to say it wouldn't help, but it wasn't mentioned. When I did mine, I used one of those cheapie brake bleeding kits with a clear hose that ran to a bottle. I opened the bleeder (pretty wide), and pump the pedals. Then I went over and watched the bottle until the liquid ran clear. It did take a while to purge the old fluid, and it took several rounds of pumping, refilling the brake fluid reservoir etc. I do know it took way more fluid than I expected, I ended up needing to go buy more, I think I went through like 1.5 liters or something...

Mozo

Ok..just got home from work and crawled under to loosen the bleeder nipples..still cant pump fluid to them but they are weeping out a bit of fluid...BUT i noticed the rear right pads are not installed correctly... misaligned and cockeyed across the caliper..so ill be pulling that side tomorrow as im out of time today...question..could a problem like that trigger the warning buzzer and somehow prevent the entire system from working properly? If this fixes it im going to be very happy....nice looking clean well running...just needs to stop!!

Mozo

I opened the bleeders up and went and pumped them for a minute and went back to look...thats when i noticed the pad installed incorrectly. No fluid had come out.

Mozo

There was a little weeping out of the calipers but we are talking a few drops...even if the lines were full of air the fluid in the calipers would have been pushed out i think..but something is preventing that...what is the question. The pedal never moves more than an inch and thats with a few hundred pounds of pressure from me...is there some computer driven failsafe preventing pressure from getting to the rear? Makes no sense to me at all...just hoping when i pull the caliper and re install the pads something will change...abs sensor?

offthepath

Adventurer
I opened the bleeders up and went and pumped them for a minute and went back to look...thats when i noticed the pad installed incorrectly. No fluid had come out.

Explain how you are bleeding the brakes? Are you opening the bleeder screws and pumping the brakes with the scews open?

plh

Explorer

That is not going to work. This method is a 2 person job.

After the brake pedal is depressed by person 1, the bleeder screw needs to be closed (tightened) by person 2 before releasing the brake pedal by person 1... Then repeat, open bleeder, depress pedal, close bleeder, release pedal, repeat (several several times) Oh yea, fix your pads too, this isn't helping.

The YouTube video linked below does a better job then me of explaining it.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-repair/brake-bleeding4.htm

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
As you are learning right now, the bleeder screws are only cracked open while pressure is being applied to the brake pedal. As the pedal goes down, near bottom, the bleeder must be closed (not super tight, just snug it a bit) before the pedal is released. Repeat..............in your case probably for a while to get the air out. Do you have an air compressor by chance? Harbor Freight sells this nice little vacuum pump that runs off an air compressor. I use it when doing full fluid flushes. If you are vacuuming the fluid through the lines, you leave the bleeder open and just make sure your reservoir stays full.

Mozo

I understand the whole bleeding process...there is no pressure getting to the rear calipers..im not drawing air back in because nothing is going out...no pressure at the calipers...and no boost to the front system...hard pedal...bled front...pedal falls..just as you would expect...nothing, fluid or air being delivered to the rear...something has to lie between the master and the slave...is there a valve between the two? Ive been asked and i do not know.

Mozo

I know the rear system is independent of the front and not proportional to the brake pedal..rear brakes are driven by the hbb.

Last edited:

Mozo

So yesterday i pulled the right rear caliper and the pads were installed incorrectly...there were also two marble sized rocks trapped behind the rotor shield ...i put it back together properly but nothing has changed...the pump is not coming on...just clicks every 30 seconds or so and no pressure to the rear brakes ( or assist to the front)...has to be some sort of computer control preventing the system from operating...might pull everything back off and reinstall...the pump ran when i did that last week...perhaps now i can get some fluid circulated since the caliper is on correctly...looking at an hour tow to a dealer for a mut2 scan...grrrr

Mozo

Ive tried the blink test but unfortunately the abs dash light must be out..i can't get it to turn on even at pre start up with the key in the on position..only see the flashing neutral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles