01 montero limited brake question

Mozo

Hey folks...New member here and Im hoping to gain some knowledge from yall. i recently bought an 01 Montero Limited that has no power brakes functioning and the dreaded warning buzzer sounding constantly. The guy i acquired it from told me all was well with the truck until he replaced the rear brake pads himself. Evidently he just clamped the calipers open without releasing the bleed valve. My question is, what could be the issue? The hbb is functioning but comes on maybe twice a minute while the trucks running...brake pedal is very stiff and it takes a lot of pressure to actuate and braking and it seems to be just up front. Any ideas what I should be trying? Ive read somewhere that there is a valve between the front and back brakes that can be bled...perhaps whole system? Any input will be appreciated...thanks in advance.

Mozo

Ive read all of that..bled the fronts fine..im getting no pressure to the rear brakes..crack open rhe bleed valve while brakes are depressed and get nothing.

corprin

Adventurer
Is there an actual mechanic on the board?

25min between posts. Must be some kind of record.

Try pumping the pedal with the rear bleeder open to get fluid moving down the line.... but I’m not a mechanic, so ****** would I know.

Mozo

I just came back on here to delete my last post as i realized i passed my frustration on down the line...and read this.
I appreciate your response in the face of dumbassidry and will give it a try!

corprin

Adventurer
See the FSM posted above, specifically the HBB bleeding sequence 35a-112.

If the brakes were not done right, excessive fluid may have been moved out of the HBB since the bleeding process for the 3g is a PITA. It may need hookup to the Mitsubishi diagnostic tool to purge the air from the HBB. I had luck with just flowing a crap-ton of fluid through the thing. If this is the case you are just pushing a bubble back and forth but not actually bleeding it.

Mozo

I installed a new hbb this past weekend thinking that was the likely problem but it didnt help. When i installed it Saturday i could hear it come on and run. Now i can here it click but isnt coming on. No assist to the front brakes and no pressure to the rear at all. I hope the new hbb hasnt already burned up.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I would be very surprised it it was burned out already. The normal failure mode the motor brushes slowly wear through the copper commutator, and it essentially falls apart, there is some pretty pictures in Salonika's link.

The fact that you hear the click and don't hear the motor turn on makes me think that the HBB has pressure so it doesn't need to run, but the brakes themselves don't - which would infer something wrong with the lines, or a big bubble somewhere in the system. When you replaced the HBB did the brake fluid tank run dry at any point (with the motor on).

Have you pulled the ANTI LOCK codes? Or is there any registering?

Finally, the guy you bought it from mentioning that "it all started after I replaced the brake pads" sounds a bit suspect to me, it sounds like the sort of story you tell after you did something stupid and don't want to admit it... (I hope I'm not bashing a close friend)

Mozo

I removed the whole master cylinder unit to replace the hbb but refilled it before turning motor on. Im just not getting any fluid to the back. I havent been able to pull codes due to no one having a mut2 reader up here where i live...its an hour down to Denver and with no brakes on steep roads im reluctant to try.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Are you telling us that if you put pressure on the pedal and have someone crack a bleeder on a rear caliper, nothing happens?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles