01 montero limited 4wd problems

cap510

Adventurer
I posted this on the wire but it appears as everyone has move to the portal. So here it goes:

I recently got a 2001 limited monty. Very nice looking and was well taken care of, does not look like the owner used the 4wd much if any at all.I am kind of new to the Gen3 so figure I ask here to see if any body has experience some of the issues I'm having with it. Basically it wont go into 4LLC, everytime I move the shifter to that position I get a beeping sound and the 4WD lights flash. I noticed the newer models have a electronic shifter that replace the mechanical shifter on the gen2s.sometimes (most of the time) I get the center diff light flashing and when it does it wont even go into 4H. The OM I donwloaded from the links says something about the center diff lights flashing when there is something wrong with the 4WD systemHas anybody here dealt with this issue before?*Any info will be greatly appreciate it!

grandpa

I have had the beeping when shifting to 4Lo on our 2001. I read somewhere about turning the ignition off and restarting, this stopped the beeping for me. As you exercise the 4wd system more it may get better. Mine did. The flashing can take some detective work with all the sensors, wiring, and vacuum system on the front axle. Searching will find a lot of scattered information. Hope this helps some.

cnutco

Adventurer
Do you have the transmission in neutral when shifting into 4LLC? Just checking before you start buying parts...

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
If the transfer case hasn't been used much, it will drive you bananas until you exercise it a lot. My '01 Limited had definitely never been off the pavement, and, being a rig from the desert, had likely never seen much (if any) 4WD use. Consequently, the orange center diff light and green lights flashed when I shifted out of 2-Hi. Tracing the vacuum lines, removing and cleaning parts, lubricating things, and just exercising them over and over are all that was needed to get everything working properly.

Mine has never beeped at me, but started refusing to work (lights flashing) in 4-LLc recently. Following the instructions in the factory service manual, I metered all the switches on the transfer case and found that they're misbehaving. I haven't pulled the thing yet to fix this as 4-Hi works beautifully and I've had other projects.

cap510

Adventurer
Do you have the transmission in neutral when shifting into 4LLC? Just checking before you start buying parts...

HAHAHA! I feel like a total newbie here... I was just wondering if anyone here might have experience similar problems before.
FYI, (not trying to sound cocky) I have been wheeling Monteros for over 12 years! :smiley_drive: in fact I been a pioneer on some MODS that now people take for granted.
Anyways, yes I had it in Neutral and have tried the ignition on/off and it helps for 4H and 4HLC but not for 4LLC. I have not spend to much time trouble shooting yet, so I just wanted to ask if any one had dealt with this before.
I have been putting it on 4WD every days and it's def helping engage 4H and HL more often but the 4LLC still and issue. I'll get to spend more time on it this weekend and see what's up. I have a feeling it might be a vacuum issue, anyways, any info is apprecited. :)

Here is my other monty in action going up Cadilac Hill on the Rubicon Trail
304488_10100116307186728_1295359843_n.jpg

Last edited:

cnutco

Adventurer
Yes, it seems that your experience far surpasses mine! Just trying to help out with the little things. I also had to replace one of the 4x4 sensors in the engine compartment on my '03 when I got it. It was simply cracked and would not let the system engage.

Nice wheeling BTW!

cap510

Adventurer
No worries, I appreciate all info. I don't think I ever did a formal introduction of my trucks on the portal. I should do that!:smiley_drive:

Anyways, I played around with it on my way home this morning after dropping off the kids at school and notice that it actually does go into 4llc however the 4wd lights keep flashing and the beeping sound comes on as soon as I move the AT shifter into R or D. If i bring it back to N the beeping stops but the lights keep flashing. The lights are solid on every other position except in 4llc. Oh and BTW the beeping sound comes from the lower center console where the transfer ecu is located.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
The sensors that cause that stuff to act up are annoying. They get stuck in positions they shouldnt be in and cause lights to flash, sounds to take place all while the mechanical side is operating fine. I've had a 97 and 01 sport that both wanted to be annoying about it until i exercised the hell out of the t-case, in the 97 i had the change the fluid and exercise it a lot to get the sensors to start behaving and even in the winter if i didnt use 4x4 once a week they would start acting up again, luckily we get 5-6 feet of snow a winter, so i used the 4x4 plenty :D

van89159

Anyways, I ... noticed that it actually does go into 4llc however the 4wd lights keep flashing and the beeping sound comes on as soon as I move the AT shifter into R or D...

Hi, found this thread yesterday. My 2001 Montero Ltd is doing the same thing (beeping/flashing but feels like 4LLC is engaged). Original owner, almost never in 4WD until the past year. I've exercised it for a while now, with no luck. 2H/4H/4HLC work fine, it's just 4LLC. Was wondering if you were ever able to resolve the beeping & flashing, and if so how. Thanks in advance!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
...almost never in 4WD until the past year...
Well there's your problem right there! ;)

Seriously though I'll try and contact Carlos (cap510) today to make sure he responds since he may be busy planning the Presidents Day weekend Death Valley Trip. I don't recall exactly if/how he resolved this as he hasn't mentioned it much recently.

cap510

Adventurer
Hi, found this thread yesterday. My 2001 Montero Ltd is doing the same thing (beeping/flashing but feels like 4LLC is engaged). Original owner, almost never in 4WD until the past year. I've exercised it for a while now, with no luck. 2H/4H/4HLC work fine, it's just 4LLC. Was wondering if you were ever able to resolve the beeping & flashing, and if so how. Thanks in advance!

Yeah I did find out what was causing this problem.
Turns out I had a air leak in one of the vacuum hoses.

Check your hoses and also the lil 4wd selenoide located on the engine compartment passenger side.

Good luck

vectorsc

Adventurer
The switches on the t case are usually the culprit. I clean mine with an electrical cleaner and check with the meter till they are 100%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The switches on the t case are usually the culprit. I clean mine with an electrical cleaner and check with the meter till they are 100%
Any suggestions for dropping the transfer case to get at 'em? I have all the new switches in hand but have been putting off that job.

vectorsc

Adventurer
Most of my work was on the gen2 with the t case stuff. Gen3 happens to be similar though.

There is no good advice other than may God this thing is heavy. On the gen2 you can drop the rear drive shaft/crossmember and actually access them with a wrench

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles